Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Community Oceanic Content Ideas

Here are my personal hopes and dreams!

1. Tortuga-like node.
We need a node that's a hive of scum and villainy, this node should be fought over neighborhood by neighborhood in gangland style pvp where there is a ton of risk vs reward. Pretty much a open battleground but more subtle with impromptu alliances, backstabbing and back alley murder for booty. Lots of booty...

2. Open seas trade and piracy.
So if the planet we are on has more than one continent we should be able to trade across them. Safe shipping lanes should exist between nodes on the same continent but the epic adventure of surviving a cross ocean trade venture should include piracy! Why not player pirates? =D Of course we can have npc ones, alongside krakken... but I think expanding the ocean content should include pirates too.

3. Class abilities and their relations to ships.
 So in addition to siege based abilities each class can bring special on the ocean abilities too. This lets devs experiment with new ideas before making a mainland version as well as make it interesting. So a rogue could climb along the sides of a ship or swing from ropes attempting to assassinate the enemy captain while a mage creates a fog to hide his movements or freezes the water to slow the enemy ship. Clerics could bless your ship to protect it from certain abilities or help it through difficult waters.

4. Magic, and combat
Magic is great, it allows you to sum up all the reality bending stuff into one word. Magic! Why not have magic be the basis for some weapons and means of propulsion etc for ships (along with sabotaging them). So in addition to the mage class specifically we can have a runic bomb we launch from a catapult instead of cannons or from a ballista. Maybe there can be a flamethrower created from dead mythic animals like dragons or use a medusa head strapped to the front the ship to petrify boarders. Magical shielding can help protect the ship while a mage can literally put the wind in the sails by summoning a gale to boost movement!

5. Types of ships and customization
We can use magic to make undersea ships work too. So maybe submarines like from the water tribe in Avatar, or magically made icy hydrofoils for smaller speedier ships. Maybe a certain substance works great for making ships on this world like a spongy material that can be shaped with fire or some sap from a tree that makes super light strong ships or something. We also need to customize them. So being able to change weapons and use dragon-scales for armor, design our own sails with our symbols on them and pick what materials are used based on their effectiveness. The materials should be good for different things alongside the weapons. So a dragon-scale battleship is probably too slow for trading but great for defending or to siege nodes.
A great fisher might have domesticated some animal he can train to bite holes in enemy ships or found a powerful artifact that can zap enemies when channeled across the water.

6. Survival in general
Sea content needs to represent the power of nature too. Hurricanes, water tornadoes, and violent storms need to be a thing alongside giant angry krakkens and impossibly high waves. But not just these things, we need mysterious disappearances, oddly colored waters that hide deadly or lucrative secrets, rogue moving islands, mysterious in general islands, haunted ship graveyards and ruins of oceanic civilizations. Please don't forget to make ships themselves tell a story and maybe let them have their own history in a captains diary or library!

Feel free to add to this list and make the devs see our ideas for oceanic content!

Comments

• Options
    I tried...  :'(
  • Options
    I really enjoyed your ideas. Indepth sea content and gameplay should be just as important to the game as anything else. The countless possibilites that can come from ocean exploration should encourage people towards sailing and all it can offer. I really like the immersion you have involved, like if there was no wind, the need for mages to power the boat is crucial, or else your ship with all of its cargo would be a sitting duck to pirates. I would also like to see trading via ships as another crucial aspect to the game. Maybe there are two or three continents and they all either do or don't have something that each other continent either does or doesn't have. This would further increase the need for sea based trade, and given the cargo on these ships would most likely be a lot higher in value, this would give players more of a reason to take on a life of piracy. Not to mention guilds being able to construct entire navys in oder to protect shipments, capture enemy cargo, or land soldiers on different continents. Along with different events and PVE opportunites, such as an enormous sea monster that casts itself out from beneath the waters depths only to smash your ship to pieces, would provide different experiences for raids and other such adventurers. 
  • Options
    I just hope the devs like it because it'd be so aweshum!
  • Options
    Lots of stuff can be done for navy content. In Darkfall there are sea fortresses, which are basically big nodes in the ocean which are open for capture once a week. Only ship cannons deal damage to them and once they are destroyed the clan that destroys it gains control of it and gets lots of rewards as a guild. This is always a huge pvp hotspot with the wealthy guilds bringing their navy fleets to bear in epic fights on the ocean. There are also hazards like huge krakens that spawn in the ocean which disables ships and sinks them if you get into their range. Just as examples of what other games have done
  • Options
    I'm on board your ship of ideas. And, I'll be staying here until I get tied up and thrown off into shark infested waters for sleeping with the pirate captain's daughter. Best get working on my rope untying skills! JK. I'll just burn them off.

Seriously though, cool ideas. I like #1 and 2 the most. If we have a caravan system on land, there's no reason for there not to be a similar transport ship system. Players can opt to defend the ship or side with the pirates. Yarrrrr.
  • Options
    I want to live inside a fish.  My freehold is inside a big fish and it swims around.  When I leave it's in a different place and I have to find it again when I want to go home because it swims.
  • Options
    It'd be cool if we had elemental wars between air and water, like air elemental trying to burrow into the ocean to steal or destroy things or just spite the ocean which fights back. It'd make the player feel small which I think would be good for giving the ocean areas a sense of awe 
  • Options
    Here are my personal hopes and dreams!

1. Tortuga-like node.
    We need a node that's a hive of scum and villainy, this node should be fought over neighborhood by neighborhood in gangland style pvp where there is a ton of risk vs reward. Pretty much a open battleground but more subtle with impromptu alliances, backstabbing and back alley murder for booty. Lots of booty...

2. Open seas trade and piracy.
    So if the planet we are on has more than one continent we should be able to trade across them. Safe shipping lanes should exist between nodes on the same continent but the epic adventure of surviving a cross ocean trade venture should include piracy! Why not player pirates? =D Of course we can have npc ones, alongside krakken... but I think expanding the ocean content should include pirates too.

3. Class abilities and their relations to ships.
     So in addition to siege based abilities each class can bring special on the ocean abilities too. This lets devs experiment with new ideas before making a mainland version as well as make it interesting. So a rogue could climb along the sides of a ship or swing from ropes attempting to assassinate the enemy captain while a mage creates a fog to hide his movements or freezes the water to slow the enemy ship. Clerics could bless your ship to protect it from certain abilities or help it through difficult waters.

4. Magic, and combat
    Magic is great, it allows you to sum up all the reality bending stuff into one word. Magic! Why not have magic be the basis for some weapons and means of propulsion etc for ships (along with sabotaging them). So in addition to the mage class specifically we can have a runic bomb we launch from a catapult instead of cannons or from a ballista. Maybe there can be a flamethrower created from dead mythic animals like dragons or use a medusa head strapped to the front the ship to petrify boarders. Magical shielding can help protect the ship while a mage can literally put the wind in the sails by summoning a gale to boost movement!

5. Types of ships and customization
    We can use magic to make undersea ships work too. So maybe submarines like from the water tribe in Avatar, or magically made icy hydrofoils for smaller speedier ships. Maybe a certain substance works great for making ships on this world like a spongy material that can be shaped with fire or some sap from a tree that makes super light strong ships or something. We also need to customize them. So being able to change weapons and use dragon-scales for armor, design our own sails with our symbols on them and pick what materials are used based on their effectiveness. The materials should be good for different things alongside the weapons. So a dragon-scale battleship is probably too slow for trading but great for defending or to siege nodes.
    A great fisher might have domesticated some animal he can train to bite holes in enemy ships or found a powerful artifact that can zap enemies when channeled across the water.

6. Survival in general
    Sea content needs to represent the power of nature too. Hurricanes, water tornadoes, and violent storms need to be a thing alongside giant angry krakkens and impossibly high waves. But not just these things, we need mysterious disappearances, oddly colored waters that hide deadly or lucrative secrets, rogue moving islands, mysterious in general islands, haunted ship graveyards and ruins of oceanic civilizations. Please don't forget to make ships themselves tell a story and maybe let them have their own history in a captains diary or library!

Feel free to add to this list and make the devs see our ideas for oceanic content!

I like the way you think.
  • Options
    OCE/SEA is lit af  :D
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    As long as there is no perma death at ocean like in certain other (wannabe) MMO.

[spoiler]
    *cough* CoE *cough*
    [/spoiler]
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    As long as there is no perma death at ocean like in certain other (wannabe) MMO.

[spoiler]
    *cough* CoE *cough*
    [/spoiler]
    Oooh, if you drown it'd be great if your body got washed to a random shore... 
    Pockets empty, miles from anywhere.... awesome! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Jet stream, also, swordfish attack. You're boating along and you get attacked by a school of swordfish that stab people all over and kill them.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    1) I think the 1st good idea. Maybe node or community of players is illegal (pirate), who robbed caravans and taken loads on ships to their base =) They are the enemies of all non-marine NPCs and will not receive a penalty for killing players.

2) For example, when a player lands on the ship, they can receive special 3-5 (sea) instead of all the major skill for battle at sea (ship).

3) It would be nice to have a special driving and combat pets to the sea. It is also an opportunity to dive for a long time with the help of special potions or equipment to hunt or treasure hunt. By the way, after the death at sea on this site may appear sunken chest with valuables;)