Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Interactive and Intelligent world?

The more I look into the development of Ashes more I wonder what types of new technologies are going to be incorporated into the game and what other technologies that people would like to see incorporated into the game.

In most of the videos and screenshots the graphics look excellent and I wondered if there was any thought being put toward VR related technology?

Based on the world development being driven by player interactions I believe it would be extremely interesting to seeing how that would react with an AI system that would learn not only from players within the specific server but across other servers. This could result in some interesting dungeon game play with bosses that would react to different player strategies resulting in unique and challenging encounters in each dungeon. Another idea on this would be a way for the "Divines" to interact with the player population.

What technologies are you most excited to see potentially within Ashes?

Comments

• Options
    an interactive changing world will surely be interesting,for example if players kill too much of a kind of mob,the game will spawn a dungeon with a boss that look like that kind of mob,or if players dig too much in the ground it trigger an earthquake,etc

• Options
    Yakay said:
    The more I look into the development of Ashes more I wonder what types of new technologies are going to be incorporated into the game and what other technologies that people would like to see incorporated into the game.
    I've said this before in another thread, the use of deep learning algorithms for mob behavior and quest narratives would be very exciting to me. Right now there are a few open source AI systems available that could help them achieve this. In a year of two these will be in widespread use. So I hope Ashes is one of the first MMORPGS to embrace this technology. But, I don't expect they will tip off the competition by announcing anything too early on.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    I've said this before in another thread, the use of deep learning algorithms for mob behavior and quest narratives would be very exciting to me. Right now there are a few open source AI systems available that could help them achieve this. In a year of two these will be in widespread use. So I hope Ashes is one of the first MMORPGS to embrace this technology. But, I don't expect they will tip off the competition by announcing anything too early on.
    The plans for this game are already setting it apart from what is considered the current norm for MMORPGs by the game being controlled by player actions. It really makes sense for the goal of the game. Implementation on the other hand would be extremely challenging, but rewarding.
  • Options
    I was also thinking about this.  Considering just the nodes, with 6 node stages, will the developers effectively be making 6 complete world maps?  Node type (military, religious, etc) is geographically locked, right?  If not, even more complete maps are required (unless there is little difference between node types).  

I think people are expecting an even more dynamic system than this; the gnolls are relentlessly hunted and move camp or die off and brigands take their place.  Can procedural generation do the heavy lifting here?  Might we expect some odd/interesting outcomes with a more hands off approach?

Maybe someone with more technical expertise can explain to me how they will execute this (ELI5).  
  • Options
    Sidiston said:
    I was also thinking about this.  Considering just the nodes, with 6 node stages, will the developers effectively be making 6 complete world maps?  Node type (military, religious, etc) is geographically locked, right?  If not, even more complete maps are required (unless there is little difference between node types).  

I think people are expecting an even more dynamic system than this; the gnolls are relentlessly hunted and move camp or die off and brigands take their place.  Can procedural generation do the heavy lifting here?  Might we expect some odd/interesting outcomes with a more hands off approach?

Maybe someone with more technical expertise can explain to me how they will execute this (ELI5).  
    It could be handled many different ways but a simple concept would be to have "rotating" camps. For example it might be gnolls with little huts and shelters, but then it is wiped out by bandits and the huts are replaced with tents and the shelters with horse pens. Then when the bandits are driven out maybe a troll moves in. Think of each camp being a little instance of it's own and the type of NPCs could be influenced by the node.

However an AI system could result in an experience like if you come across the camp by yourself the gnolls attack, if you encounter the camp with a group of 30 they may be passive or only attack if you attack first. In the case of bandits a single person may go unnoticed and could surprise the camp picking people off, while an army would be met with a coordinated defense.