Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Combat

Simple question:
I have heard that AOC will be a mix between tab targeting and action. So my question is: Will there be impactful dodging in AOC? I ask this because I feel when they go tab targeting most games it doesn't feel like you can dodge the skill someone else is throwing at you. So the mix is hard to pull off because all games before this, that have done this, seem to have a mediocre feel. Not having a really good tab targeting system or really good action combat. Look at riders of Icarus for example. I personally would rather have it completely action combat. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Many games use a combination of action targeting, tab targeting and ground targeting, because each of these methods is appropriate for different types of combat scenarios.

A combination of targeting styles has been used in games to vary the pace of battle and to make different abilities feel more natural. The Demon Hunter class in WoW uses action targeting for its EyeBeam ranged ability. Players have spoken favorably of this new combat style, which I believe is the first ranged action targeted ability in that game.

On the flip side, in the MOBA Paragon, a new hero class was introduced recently called Phase, which has a tab targeted tether ability in an otherwise action dominated combat system. Again, players are reporting a high degree of satisfaction with this new hero's mix of abilities.

Paragon and WoW also blend ground targeted abilities into the mix, making the combat even more diverse. TL;DR My read is that if the combat system is done well, all three targeting systems can be employed to improve the player experience.
  • Options
    It has been said by several that the Ashes of Creation combat will likely be similar to that of Guild Wars 2.  If that's the case, I will be happy with it.  I enjoyed combat in GW2, and dodging was not just possible, it was necessary.
  • Options
    lexmax said:

The Demon Hunter class in WoW uses action targeting for its EyeBeam ranged ability. Players have spoken favorably of this new combat style, which I believe is the first ranged action targeted ability in that game.
    Just to note, when wow was at it's prime, there was basically only targeted abilities(apart from AOE-s). The current one on the other hand is just a shadow of it's former glory.
  • Options
    Can't wait!