Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Logo / Branding

I'm curious if there's been any mention or plans to update the AoC logo and font? It currently looks a bit unfinished... like a napkin sketch or, sorry to say, student work. The phoenix rising from the roots of a tree is a fine concept but the execution is quite complex, lacks refinement, and has the opportunity for a lot of detail to become lost or muddled in certain applications (i.e. small sizes). The font looks like a free font found online. If AoC is going to be a AAA title, it should really have AAA branding to match the "premium" quality of the game.

My advice— simplify and clean up the logo. Make it less top-heavy, and maybe less.. tall? Something that could fit well inside a circle or a square if needed (designed with a variety of applications in mind). Make it truly one color (instead of using the grey shading) and better define the lines to make it work well in one-color applications. Rework the drawing to emphasize the more important details (i.e. the phoenix head) and deemphasize the filler/decoration (all those little roots and flames). I'm not suggesting to scrap it— it's got some legs and the concept fits the game, it just needs more love and skill and consideration to be applied to it.

As for the font, make your own. Or at the very least make a custom "Ashes of Creation" title. Right now all the A's are exactly the same, all the E's are exactly the same, all the S's are exactly the same, etc. Distressing the font by hand will give you variety among the same characters and will make the texture look more natural and realistic. Probably most importantly, it will make the font unique so that you won't see other designs unrelated to the game using the same font.

I was holding out hope that the logo was placeholder, but when I saw the AoC mug in the last Twitch stream, I got a little concerned. Hold off on the merch. I hope I don't sound too critical— I just want the game to see as much success as possible so that we may all benefit. 

Comments

• Options
    I like it.
    I think it's spiffy and just fine!

But like anything in the next 2 years, possibly subject to change.

• Options
    I also believe it's to be not a genuine logo of the game, Just like every visual thing we saw so far I believe it's to be a placeholder.
  • Options
    I'm curious if there's been any mention or plans to update the AoC logo and font? It currently looks a bit unfinished... like a napkin sketch or, sorry to say, student work. The phoenix rising from the roots of a tree is a fine concept but the execution is quite complex, lacks refinement, and has the opportunity for a lot of detail to become lost or muddled in certain applications (i.e. small sizes). The font looks like a free font found online. If AoC is going to be a AAA title, it should really have AAA branding to match the "premium" quality of the game.

My advice— simplify and clean up the logo. Make it less top-heavy, and maybe less.. tall? Something that could fit well inside a circle or a square if needed (designed with a variety of applications in mind). Make it truly one color (instead of using the grey shading) and better define the lines to make it work well in one-color applications. Rework the drawing to emphasize the more important details (i.e. the phoenix head) and deemphasize the filler/decoration (all those little roots and flames). I'm not suggesting to scrap it— it's got some legs and the concept fits the game, it just needs more love and skill and consideration to be applied to it.

As for the font, make your own. Or at the very least make a custom "Ashes of Creation" title. Right now all the A's are exactly the same, all the E's are exactly the same, all the S's are exactly the same, etc. Distressing the font by hand will give you variety among the same characters and will make the texture look more natural and realistic. Probably most importantly, it will make the font unique so that you won't see other designs unrelated to the game using the same font.

I was holding out hope that the logo was placeholder, but when I saw the AoC mug in the last Twitch stream, I got a little concerned. Hold off on the merch. I hope I don't sound too critical— I just want the game to see as much success as possible so that we may all benefit. 
    Interesting nick. You wouldn't happen to be from SEA would you? Heh heh. 
  • Options
    I like it just fine the way it is. <Shrug>
  • Options
    They should really release an AoC font, that would bring tears of joy to my eyes.