Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Zones? Gahhhh, I hope not.....

I hope with the node system that it does away with zones....I understand the zone idea, but I've always hated it. I would like to see some bad a** monsters everywhere not just high level zones...ughh....
Besides, who is going to tell a dragon he can't make his lair here?

Comments

• Interesting idea. I like it.
  • There won't be zones in the same sense as a traditional MMO where you pass through level-specific zones and leave them behind when you outgrow them.
    Ashes of creation is implementing this by avoiding the common trend in other mmorpg’s where the theme of the world map is relatively the same and flows into a central medium point.

Instead they are concentrating on making an interesting and diverse world where every zone has its own theme and focal point. The difficulty ranges for each zone and level as the monsters you encounter are unique in physique and skill and are constantly changing and adapting as you do.

Along with the monsters, the map itself will also begin to expand and grow as you grow and level up the node you occupy. The higher you go; the number of events and rarity of epic monsters increases.

The importance of this is so that the server as a whole is able to level up as you go and as the population amount increases. Not just so you have different zones for your specific level, such as “lvl 5, lvl 10, lvl 15, etc.”

This system is the backbone of the entire game and keeps the game flowing while maintaining a new and diverse experience every time you log on.
  • sweet! sounds great!
  • The zones are needed to bring some internode conflict between players and to have a purpose for trade. ^ Lexmax posts hits the nail on the head though :) monsters scale with the node level so mobs vary through out the world ^^ 
  • *Begins channeling Doc Brown*

Zones?
    Where we're going, we don't need zones.... 
  • Yes thus you should be able to level completely without leaving the node you are in. One thing I would like to know is how big area wise is each node how long would it take to ride across a node? I would imagine they would have to be quite large.
  • Varkun said:
    Yes thus you should be able to level completely without leaving the node you are in. One thing I would like to know is how big area wise is each node how long would it take to ride across a node? I would imagine they would have to be quite large.
    They've not given us any indication as to the size of the world other than, "Really big".  lol
  • Possum said

They've not given us any indication as to the size other than, "Really big".  lol
    That's what she said........
  • Crymoar said:
    Possum said

They've not given us any indication as to the size other than, "Really big".  lol
    That's what she said........
    No fair, removing words from my quote to change the meaning.  :P
  • Possum said:
    Varkun said:
    Yes thus you should be able to level completely without leaving the node you are in. One thing I would like to know is how big area wise is each node how long would it take to ride across a node? I would imagine they would have to be quite large.
    They've not given us any indication as to the size of the world other than, "Really big".  lol
    It'll be bigger for some then others ;)
  • Kratz said:
    Possum said:
    Varkun said:
    Said the Dwarf, his neck craned to see the Elves towering over him.
  • Possum said:
    Kratz said:
    Possum said:
    Varkun said:
    I may be craned but I'll not be impressed by some Twiggy rain catcher with leaf-arms, I tell you! ;) 
  • Kratz said:
    Possum said:
    Kratz said:
    Possum said:
    Varkun said:
    I may be craned but I'll not be impressed by some Twiggy rain catcher with leaf-arms, I tell you! ;) 
    Don't crane too far, you'll fall on your arse.  :)
  • Possum said:
    Kratz said:
    Possum said:
    Kratz said:
    Possum said:
    Varkun said:
    Don't crane too far, you'll fall on your arse.  :)
    It has padding for the both us, believe me!
  • I wonder how that will relate with people coming into the game late...i.e. 4 months after launch....if the server scales with the nodes...I'm guessing the starting areas will be low level stuff, which I'm not overly fond of....and then venture out to find your node of choice or try to build up your own. =)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Balrog21 said:
    I wonder how that will relate with people coming into the game late...i.e. 4 months after launch....if the server scales with the nodes...I'm guessing the starting areas will be low level stuff, which I'm not overly fond of....and then venture out to find your node of choice or try to build up your own. =)
    According to the devs, new people can select the gateway they wish to enter through. The server is dynamic, so the levels of various areas will change up or down over time. I'm guessing that the portal will place you inside the closest node, where you can pick up starter quests etc, but I don't think this has been confirmed.