Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What past/current MMORPG's had hardest PVP ?

Of the dozen or so MMORPG's played, there were only a couple able to be played with solid PvP that stood out for me.

Never did get to try much of ArcheAge or BDO due on and off region locks at the time.

In order of preference from personal experience:
  • Age Of Conan at the beginning was a gank fest of opportunistic PvP
  • ESO pvp limited to one area was Ok
  • Neverwinter Arenas (if that was what they were called) were tremendous fun, nicely paced
  • Lineage 2 had the most memorable for its time.
Of the PvP orientated mmorpgs, what has the hardest PvP?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    So why did DarkFall not make this list ?  :p

(let me guess ... its a MMOFPS ? Except that its using Classes that you'd see in Common MMORPG ? )
  • Depends on what you mean by hardest. Do you mean the mechanics of the game made it difficult to pvp, such as open world/ganking? That it would be hard to get the point where you could compete in PVP(BDO)? Hard in the sense that you will most likely get zerged if you try to PVP? Complicated classes that meant only good players could excel?
    edited June 2017
    Ultima Online was my favorite for PvP. It was such a mess but exciting and that level of paranoia needed was cool.  It really kept you on your toes. 

I think Vanguard was good for PvP also. I am not sure if I am thinking of the right game. 

I am generally a carebear the PvP in those two games (if I remember right on Vanguard) was nicely unexpected and help you awake. 

edit: I don't know what the OP meant by hardest so I went with most enjoyable. 
  • UO
    edited June 2017
    L2 was great PVP, the system for flagging/pking was perfection. BDO I would say is the most challenging I've played. And despite being a bust of a game, I overall enjoyed wildstar combat surprisingly. Those would be my top 3. But hardest, BDO hands down in my book.
  • Minecraft.

I keep getting murdered by 12yr olds. It's brutal. 
  • I wasn't really sure of the replies I would get, but given such varied opinions of what is expected of pvp for this game, I wondered what was considered a solid pvp game to have as reference for the outcome of this one!

• Darkfall had my favorite pvp.

I'd want to say that lineage2 is probably the best reference for this game. It sounds like steven really liked the game and the flagging system it had is similar to what we are getting here. I don't think there has been a game with a node and caravan system implemented in the way we have here so i think it's hard to tell how those will play out. 
  • My hardest experience was 20v1 in Aion. I sat inside the Divine Fortress near the pvp item turn in NPC waiting for an asmodian to appear. (This was Kaisinel Server after it was taken over completely by the asmodians) Imagine my surprise when a 3-star general appears with her guild protecting her for the turn in wearing cloth armor. I flew out of "radar" range, popped my buffs and flew in swinging. Her guild watched for about half her health before attacking me. They couldn't CC me because I kept getting poked and woken up. Their para/silence stones weren't proc'ing. When I died, she was at 2-5% HP. That's when her people thought to talk shit on my corpse. I responded in kind with an auto-revive stone, 2 auto-attacks that finished her ass off. No more shit talk. No more asmodians in the abyss for nearly 24 hours. It was epic.
    20v1... long live the sexiest pvp gladiator ever, Leo's Klein <3
  • I would say Dark Ages of Camelot had the most memorable PVP for me. The frontierlands where you had to siege and defend castles? That was some of the best PVP I've been involved in and it required a lot of coordination.
  • Hard also means how many players are competitive, so i would say world of wacraft. Just try to get that rank 1 title, 0,1% of the top.

Even top 3% try to get that, its hard.
  • Can I say every MMO where there is P2W ^^
    edited June 2017
    By far the hardest pvp I have played been in BDO. Just because there is a lot of combo strikes and targeting/predicting where stuff lands and even 2 stances that you have to swap between. And both have a lot of things. Sadly this game won't have high skill cap pvp, they don't want to have a lot of buttons or be like playing a piano as they said. This is a minus in my eyes, but not a game breaker since I'm more towards economy anyway :)

Oh yeah, also wow pvp is very hard at the gladiator level. Loved it.
  • Ultima Online. Not knowing who the enemy was was crazy. I'd be sitting in a dungeon just farming mobs and next thing I know I'm fighting other players. Poison, explosion pots, crazy power spells flying everywhere. Then they ruined it by making Trammel....
  • Old school runescape, you had to click like once every 5 seconds and that was too intense for me.
  • Dygz said:
    UO
    You PvP?  O_o
    Perish the thought!   :p

I've enjoyed PvP in various games.  WoW, GW2, SWOTR, etc.  I probably had the most fun PvP'ing in SWOTR and GW2, so far.
  • I live in Australia so every pvp experience is a challenge due to ping typically over 250.

edited June 2017
    Dygz said:
    UO
    You PvP?  O_o
    What gave you the impression that I don't participate in PvP combat??!!??
  • I liked the PvP in SWTOR the best every Maps had different objectives and you couldnt choose which map you got. I loved Huttball though i sucked at it. I loved PvPing on my Sniper where i could sit at long range and take specific people out who were trying to cap a point or killing the Ball carrier from really far away in Huttball. Good times

• Dygz said:
    Dygz said:
    UO
    You PvP?  O_o
    What gave you the impression that I don't participate in PvP combat??!!??
    True, true.  That was probably presumptuous of me.  But, I'm sure you didn't engage in any actual PvP combat, right?

I can easily picture you stealthily weaving your way through combatants, testing your skills at aggression avoidance, while exploring the area for secret locales, rare finds, and the like.  Right?  Right?   ;)
  • I am a casual PvPer. I like PvP combat sometimes.
    Usually for a max of around 1 hour out of an 8 hour play session per day.

But, yeah, my preferred form of PvP battle is one where I can sneak away from direct physical combat and capture flags and flip switches and other forms of recon.
  • I really loved ArcheAge in the beginning. Content allowed for some really nice PvP all around the world.

Shame the game was a Korean hack fest that also turned to pay 2 win. That killed it.