Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Guild Oligarchy

I'd like to see a guild system that allows for multiple Guild Leaders. I realize this may open the world to potential guild drama if there is not a strong community. I believe that having multiple Guild Leaders in strong gaming community will be highly benifical for everyone. I don't know if there are any mmos out there that support this philosophy. I just know that the ones I've played the system only allows for one guild leader to have the final say on anything even with a good group of folks to help. 

One person has to start the guild and name it etc but should be able to promote others to the same tier of permission unlocks, essentially creating an Obligarchy. 

Comments

• I dont know if you have heard it but "only one guild leader" was confirmed on one of the streams. 
  • Yes, one guild leader has been confirmed for technical reasons (A single dragon for castle owners, etc.) but perhaps something similar to this idea will be incorporated into the alliance system- perhaps a public representative of the alliance's various guild leaders.
  • Can't speak for what Ashes will offer for guild permissions, but I've been in other games that allowed me, as the guild leader, to create various ranks and set their permissions as I desired.  The ONLY thing they couldn't have along with me is the Guild Leader title.  Every other permission I had could be delegated to them as well.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    There should only ever be ONE guild leader.
    That being said, I hope they implement a way for the guild leader to appoint a proper second-in-command so that in the event of a prolonged absence, the guild isn't abandoned or a random member being given the guild.

An example would be a soldier getting deployed for an extended amount of time. It happened to me in a previous game, and it sucked to come home to my own guild that was damn near empty because some jackass inherited it and ran it into the ground. I never did get control back.
  • There should only ever be ONE guild leader.
    As far as title maybe, but there are a few guilds active on these forums which have stated their intent to govern collectively with no guild leader so it would nice to think that Intrepid would cater for those. I think @Possum offers a great alternative if Intrepid aren't convinced by a sharing of power.
  • Kratz said:
    As far as title maybe, but there are a few guilds active on these forums which have stated their intent to govern collectively with no guild leader so it would nice to think that Intrepid would cater for those. I think @Possum offers a great alternative if Intrepid aren't convinced by a sharing of power.
    My guilds that guild but I can understand from a developers view it's  much easier to have an appointed leader and etc. We're able to work our way around that it's no problem :) 
  • Kratz said:
    In our guild, @IsamuTheMad, @Isende and I usually take turns at being guild leader in various games.  We've even been know to prank each other by passing the guild leader title to one of the others without telling them.  :)  We can do this because we almost always work collectively as a leadership team.
  • Aye, I had the Ashenguard in mind lassie, with one or two others. Lets hope they give you the tools to work around :^^
  • Kratz said:
    Aye, I had the Ashenguard in mind lassie, with one or two others. Lets hope they give you the tools to work around :^^
    Our brains are the tools xD
  • Diura said:
    Kratz said:
    Aye, I had the Ashenguard in mind lassie, with one or two others. Lets hope they give you the tools to work around :^^

Some tools are sharper than others ;)
  • Kratz said:
    Diura said:
    Kratz said:

I smell smoke, and not from Kratz's pipe.
  • I don't agree that a single guild leader is in place for technical reasons. Since every other rank in a guild allows multiple members in that rank, it actually takes extra coding to make the guild leader rank only permit one member. It would be just as easy to allow 2 or 3 or 5 people into the guild leader rank as it is to allow one.

The perks that apply to a guild leader, such as flying the dragon are also not a valid reason for limiting the rank to one person. The mount has a cooldown, so whichever guild leader gets to fly it is an internal decision, the other guild leaders have to wait for the cooldown to expire before they get their turn.

Again, smart systems design rather than apply simplistic rules will help Ashes to be more appealing to different player styles without breaking the game. If there is one thing that would cause me to abandon this game is the wholesale copying of simplistic systems from other MMOs that we know from experience do not work.
  • Thanks @lexmax I couldn't agree more. It's one thing if it is a technical issue that will be too costly and time consuming but it is another of it is just an easy way out/fix. I ,like many people, are backing this project with money and high hopes because it is suppose to push boundaries of the mmo genre. It's just my opinion that this would add another dimension of playability to Ashes. Of course the idea of true power sharing won't work for a lot of guilds but for those who it would,  it would add another layer to the big picture that is Ashes.
  • @Rabbit_Games:

Made me chuckle. Your opinion, so I won't denigrate it. I will state that that was a very broad, all-inclusive statement; "...should ever only be..." means you see it as a viable rule that "should" be applied to everyone, period. I myself tend to shy away from these kinds of statements.

Our guild functions quite well with three leaders; we balance each other. Each of us brings something to the structure that the other two don't have. Each of us has, as our primary focus, "What's best for the guild?" Naturally each of us sees that as something slightly different, but it works, and it works largely because of the mutual respect that we each have for the other. Further, because of the care we have four our guild, when conflict between we three has raised its head, we've handled that conflict without the rest of the guild ever being aware of it. For the guild, things have flown on seamlessly while we three have hashed out our differences and worked to continue the day-to-day activities as though they never existed.

I know that we're not the only guild who functions that way. I also know that, as things stand, IS has said "Only one leader." But we all, also, know that the launch date's a bit of a while down the road, and I don't think it's a bad idea for us to ask, "Hey, guys? Can you rethink this position?"
  • Possum said:
    Kratz said:
    Diura said:
    Kratz said:

I smell smoke, and not from Kratz's pipe.
    Is this why @Kratz 's kisses are so smokey?