Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ashes of Creation Book Club and Tea Room

So, this has been coming the longest time. We have quite a few avid readers amongst us. 

Share with us photos of you libraries, your favorite books, which author(s) you want penning down AoC novellas. 

Also, share with us what keeps you company when curling up with a good book. 

For me,
1) No library. My books are scattered all about. 
2) Other than the staple Salvatore, the last book that I really enjoyed is Patrick Rothfuss The Name of the Wind
3) Salvatore, Rothfuss naturally
4) Iced milk tea, naturally, to keep the British at bay

Comments

• Im home 
  • I don't have an actual physical library of sorts. I read mostly on the Kindle. But my collection so far is: Eden's Ore trilogy. The name of the wind and The wise mans fear. Stormlight Archives Book one and two. The mistborn Trilogy. The Mistborn novels. Most of the First Law books. And most of the WoW books. I also love audiobooks so I got a good collection there as well. All of the Robin Hobb Farseer books. (16 in total) The Gentlemen Bastards books. The Red Rising books. And The Dark Tower book 1-3. I do have a few actual books though. Lord of the Ring Trilogy in one book. The Eragon Books. A fair amount of the Spice and Wolf Novels.
  • bahahaha @Rumbleforge @lexmax
    this is your home!

• My favorite book series so far would have to be Robin Hobb's books. The Farseer world. Its fantastic. And for the authors, I would love to have Joe Abercrombie write a few. Aswell as Robin Hobb. And Ruthfoss ofc.

For how I enjoy books and such, I used to read while at work in the calm hours. And for Audiobooks, I drive out somewhere calm and alone with a good view and just listen. Its great.
  • My favourite books are Iain M Banks Consider Phlebas and Excession
  • Thank goodness @Isende reads on a tablet.  We'd need a whole separate house to keep the number of books she reads if she had physical copies of everything.
  • nagash said:
    Im home 

I imagine @nagash running around his house taking photos of the numerous libraries he has, like Mr Bean on a tour. 

(sadly I tried to find the appropriate gif for this but I can't)

• Cyreph said:
    nagash said:
    Im home 

I imagine @nagash running around his house taking photos of the numerous libraries he has, like Mr Bean on a tour. 

(sadly I tried to find the appropriate gif for this but I can't)

can you see me?
  • I have a few shelves stuffed with books, hardly a library. Due to limited space, sadly most of my books are in boxes in the garage. Some of my all time favorite series are Feist's Magician, Herbert's Dune, May's Intervention, Hamilton's Void and Commonwealth Saga, Salvatore's Cleric Quintet, and Rowling's Potter. There are many more, but It's 2am and I should be sleeping :blush:

• sorry about the quality my Kindle has a terrible camera also these are a tiny amount from what I own as I have a room with nothing but books ^^ 
  • nagash said:

can you see me?

A merchant has his ways.  :D

I didn't know you have a biography! 

• Omg, finally.  I'm so going to post the hell out of this thread when I'm home from work! :D 
  • I just came for the tea...
  • lexmax said:
    I have a few shelves stuffed with books, hardly a library. Due to limited space, sadly most of my books are in boxes in the garage. Some of my all time favorite series are Feist's Magician, Herbert's Dune, May's Intervention, Hamilton's Void and Commonwealth Saga, Salvatore's Cleric Quintet, and Rowling's Potter. There are many more, but It's 2am and I should be sleeping :blush:
    I enjoyed the Riftwar Saga as well.  Did you read the series about the other side?  It was excellent.  Daughter Of The Empire is the first book.

https://www.amazon.com/Daughter-Empire-World-Riftwar-Trilogy/dp/055327211X
  • Nnedi Okorafor
    Gail Carriger
    Laurell K Hamilton
    Balogun Ojetade
    Tracy Hickman & Margaret Weis
  • @Possum, Yes, totally forgot about Daughter of Empire. I loved that trilogy :love: 

@nagash... Those hardbacks: Bram Stoker, Jules Verne, HG Wells :hushed:

@Rumbleforge ... *taps fingers* ;)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I typically read either fantasy or WW II novels.  

In the WW II category, some of my favorites are almost anything by Jack Higgins or Frederick Forsyth.  ** Edit to add Ken Follett.  Can't believe I forgot him.

Fantasy, beyond the usuals (Tolkien), I have enjoyed books by David Eddings, Stephen R. Donaldson, Raymond Feist, Janny Wurts and others that aren't immediately coming to mind.  Currently, I'm re-reading The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Donaldson. 
    edited June 2017
    Anything by Joe Abercrombie
    Thoroughly enjoy Patrick O'Brien (Jack Aubrey series)
    Jeff Shaara

Love playing 'Empire of the Sun' a CDG by Mark Herrman published by GMT games.

I really enjoy exploring historical military sites / museums such as Gettysburg, Shiloh, the Battleship Alabama, Stones River, WWII Museum in New Orleans.......

edit... add the Dresden novels too.
    edited June 2017
    I hate to do this to one of my favorite authors, but in the name of comedy...

@Rumbleforge made me do it!
  • I'm only 17 so my tastes probably differ from yours but I read everything I get my hands on.
    My favorite series are as follows:
    Rangers Apprentice
    Brotherband Chronicles
    Wardstone Chronicles
    uhhh I forgot the rest but these 3 are good young adult books thought you 30+ year old folk probably think a marshmellow peep is more interesting.

• 1) I'm an Assistant Director at a public library, but my personal collection is split between three book cases.
    2) I mostly read Non-fiction, stuff like various Sciences, Tradeskills, Art, etc.
    3) When it comes to Fiction, I have to be a bit plain here and say J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkien. As for Non-fiction I enjoy "Origami Design Secrets" by Robert Lang, "Back to Basics" by Abigail Gehring, and "Be Different" by John Elder Robison.
    4) London Fog/Coffee, sometimes my two Dachshunds, rarely my wife. Simply because when the dogs or wife enter the picture I'm usually not reading much longer.

• This thread is a dream come true.  I have so much I could talk about here, I don't even know where to begin.... but since we have all the time in the world to discuss all the books and tea our hearts could ever desire, I will simply begin by just sharing my "recently read" pile.
    (Also, I need time to figure out how to take pictures of my books so that it doesn't show my current hoarder lifestyle.)

My "Recently Read" pile is divided into two clever categories:  Those books that are Star Trek, and those that are not Star Trek. ;).
    (I know, it is a cunning system.)

For the sake of a shorter post, I won't go into the Star Trek books here.  
    But here is a list of my most recently read books, many of which would deserve their own posts of potential discussion.

(Presented in no particular order)

The Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman
    The Shotgun Arcana by R.S. Belcher
    The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher
    Nightwise by R.S. Belcher
    Brotherhood of the Wheel by R.S. Belcher
    The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt
    Wide Open by Deborah Coates
    American Craftsmen by Tom Doyle
    The Left-Hand Way by Tom Doyle
    Spellstorm by Ed Greenwood
    Archmage by R.A. Salvatore
    Maestro by R.A. Salvatore
    Hero by R.A. Salvatore
    (The final Forgotten Realms trilogy by Salvatore, the end of the Drizzt saga.)
    Finn Fancy Necromancy by Randy Henderson
    Bigfoot Lose and Finn Fancy Free by Randy Henderson
    Chapel of Ease by Alex Bledsoe
    Gather Her Round by Alex Bledsoe
    The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman

These are just he books precariously perched on one of my Hi-Fi speakers in my bedroom....  like Nagash, I too have a room dedicated to books.... but... its in an embarrassing state of disarray at the moment. 

This is only the beginning!  So many good books out there! So little time!  (I do make time to read during half of my lunch hour at work every day.).

• @Rumbleforge

Your "Recently Read" pile might be bigger than my "Lifetime" pile.  :|
  • My house is full of childrens' books and my older books/comics are in storage boxes and my new books/comics are mostly in ebook form. 

My favourite fantasy authors:

1. Margeret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance trilogy (first ever fantasy novel, also explains my love for the name Autumn)
    2. Robin Hobb (Assassin's Trilogy)
    3. George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones
    4. Frank Herbert's Dune series (ok, it's sci-fi)
    Other fantasy Authors I really enjoy:
    1. Most of David Gemmel's stuff, nice gritty combat. 
    2. R.A Salvatore's Drizzit novels 
    3. Raymond E. Feist
    4. Terry Pratchett
    5. Joe Abercrombie
    I use to read a lot more books but I've been slacking off a little. So my list of favourite books are all pretty old. I do some sci-fi as well, Pierce Brown's Red Rising, Orson Scott Card's ender's series.
  • Cyreph said: 

4) Iced milk tea, naturally, to keep the British at bay

Iced milk tea?
    What is this monstrosity of which you speak?

My English blood boils at such at horrific turn of phrase, Archibald, fetch my pair of pistols and saddle up the charger, I fear a declaration of war is imminent.

[Sadly written books have been another part of my life stolen by health, audio books I largely keep to factual atm.
    Before though, I consumed books, no special author, I'd read almost anything except romance :) ]

edited June 2017
    Favourite book: The Count of Monte Cristo, A. Dumas

These are all my books.

1) the serious ones, from archaeological manuals, monographies, articles, etc., to, dictionaries, the Constitution, various encyclopedias; on the right, a sieries of classics

2) on the shelves, at least 2 rows of books each, dvided by argument: fantasy, historical, nature&art, politics and local history, narrative, new authors/ and poorer narrative

• Relwoh said:
    My favourite books are Iain M Banks Consider Phlebas and Excession
    I agree 1110% I adore Ian M Banks - should be on everyone's bookcase :3
    @ruairidh your bookshelf is the best thing I've ever seen *_*
    1. R.A Salvatore's Drizzit novels 

This is the second or third time I saw "Drizzit" in this forum. It's Drizzt!

Is nothing sacred to you guys?  :s
  • @nagash

How is Overlord's novels going on? As I'm an only-anime watcher of it, I'm starving to get a second season  from the frenchise.
  • Diura said:
    Relwoh said:
    My favourite books are Iain M Banks Consider Phlebas and Excession
    I agree 1110% I adore Ian M Banks - should be on everyone's bookcase :3
    @ruairidh your bookshelf is the best thing I've ever seen *_*
    Thanks, one perk of having woodworkers in family is that I can get furniture made exactly as I want. That was sketched by me and decorated as per my instructions.. It all has a personal and more general meaning