Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will there be elemental and weather effects on the enviroment

@xXxDestroctor69 writes:

Pretty much the title. Just was wondering if AoC would have weather that effected the players like heat and cold or windy or rainny. Would these weather systems and bioms effect the player like making you slower if you are cold or making it hot so your action bar (stamina or mana) get drained faster or regen slower, or a sand storm lowers visibility. 

The second part was with elements effect the enviroment. Would a fire arrow set a field on fire or a lightning spell would electrify a whole stream? You could even do spell power boosts based on zones and weather. 

Comments

• I hope so, I've been requesting it too : 3
  • A sand storm lowering visibility is probably likely. I do not think cold will slow you down or heat making you lose stamina faster. I think they have said they don't want this to turn into a survival game.

Spell power will be affected by the weather. I think Jeffrey Bard stated that on one of the streams. As far a fire arrow lighting a field on fire I would highly doubt it. 
  • Short answer "yes". Long answer from the devs:
    1. Weather will be immersive and will affect gameplay. 
    2. Nodes will go through seasons, 
    3. Crop cycles will be associated with seasons
    4. Some mountain passes will only be available during summer
    5. Water will freeze during winter
    6. Events bring weather: Eg The winter dragon might bring eternal winter until killed 
  • They pretty much dipped their toes on this subject with scenarios like, if its winter your frost spells will be more effective etc. how far they go with this we simple don't know however, I hope they go the whole way with is and make a multitude of effects in terms of weather. e.g electrocuting water, setting arrows ablaze, pretty much anything you can think of.
  • It would be great to see certain crafting items can only be made during certain seasons due to availability of gatherable materials; or certain cosmic events dictate certain items to be crafted.

Just shooting the breeze.

Kind regards,

Logos
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    If we have active effects like that, I'd hate to see what becomes of a node after Imperium unleashes Scorched Earth mode on someone. Glad I'll get to be part of that :tongue:

@lexmax winter is coming. :tongue:
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    lexmax said:
    Short answer "yes". Long answer from the devs:
    1. Weather will be immersive and will affect gameplay. 
    2. Nodes will go through seasons, 
    3. Crop cycles will be associated with seasons
    4. Some mountain passes will only be available during summer
    5. Water will freeze during winter
    6. Events bring weather: Eg The winter dragon might bring eternal winter until killed 
    Exactly this :3
     They are discussing how skills will be effected by some weather but it's easiest to imagine with mage - not sure how it will work with other classes xD
    They are also discussing how terrain might impact the productivity of your freehold too which is pretty cool ^^