Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

I want "Oh god, not THOSE!" monster types in the game.

I have very vivid memories of certain monsters from D&D because of how they were able to send a chill up the spine of specific Classes.

For example, you never wanted to meet a Gray Ooze as a Paladin because they corroded metal.

Thus, I'd like to see mobs which require certain "typical" Classes to think outside the box. For example:

The Gray Ooze that makes the Paladin choose between staying armored up, or stripping down for combat, or staying out of the fight completely.

Or a mob which grows more powerful by eating up magic: whether from spells cast directly at it, or drawing from the essence of AOE spells (harmful and helpful, alike). All of which keeping the spell effects from going off.

Or the living tree mob which Rangers find themselves unable to be hostile towards.

Comments

• This is an old but good (Asheron's Call) concept, having knowledge of the mob is required prior to engaging it. for instance if it is an acid based slime you would use elemental lighting weapons or spells on it. If it is frost fire. Some are more subtle and require you to understand the nature of the mob. for instance while you can kill large bug with exoskeletons with many different weapons the most useful would be bludgeoning. so you con a mob and see what it is , try a particular element or force and adjust accordingly. surprisingly it is easy to even have different requirements for different mobs of the same species. This is so much more engaging for the player as you don't just blindly hit 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 5, you actually have to load up the right spells and weapons / projectiles. I would be nice to see such a system in a game again instead of mindless drubbing which should be reward with the player's death, vitae loss and equipment drops followed by a corpse run with your friends in a group to recover from your foolish venture.
  • A system of of varying strengths/weaknesses of enemies based on their own nature and environment are something I hope they get right. Players will be able to figure out these strengths and weaknesses through trial and error or lore as well as through exchanging information with other players. It will do wonders for immersion and definitely make the game more enjoyable for all.
  • I agree about wanting some challange. Trying not to agro, coming up with create ways to beat a monster, or just getting made because it shouldn't be this hard (sounds strange but it's kind of fun).

As long as these don't make up the majority of the game (looking at you FF11)
  • I know what I don't want to see in the game.  Spiders.  Every time I run across spiders in a new game, especially the big ones that are all shiny or hairy and they got those huge mandibles, they freak me out.  I hate spiders, even that spider mount in WoW freaks me out and I don't want to be near it.
  • I know what I don't want to see in the game.  Spiders.  Every time I run across spiders in a new game, especially the big ones that are all shiny or hairy and they got those huge mandibles, they freak me out.  I hate spiders, even that spider mount in WoW freaks me out and I don't want to be near it.
    You're in trouble then.  Spiders are confirmed.
  • yeah, having arachnophobia sucks bad.
    You didn't see the controllable by players monster token spider have you?
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFoz9j8Ouo0 Giant world bosses that share the crap out of all. Like the white whale in Re:Zero
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
      These, I want to fight them. I want them to try to destroy my node
  • i really like this idea and wouldlove tosee things like rust monsters come back.
  • Maquiame said:
      These, I want to fight them. I want them to try to destroy my node
    Make them a lot smaller, then I would say yes. They are so big, if you fight them up close, they would fill your whole screen and you won't see anything  :p
  • Maquiame said:
    I know what I don't want to see in the game.  Spiders.  Every time I run across spiders in a new game, especially the big ones that are all shiny or hairy and they got those huge mandibles, they freak me out.  I hate spiders, even that spider mount in WoW freaks me out and I don't want to be near it.
    You didn't see the controllable by players monster token spider have you?
    No, I have not!  I won't be controlling any of them.
  • I would love to see something subtle. 

Like you are a mage and stumble on a zombie, and think that it will be an easy fight. You blast it with a spell, and immediately arcane runes carved into the skin of the zombie flare brightly. You also realised that your spell had a subdued effect on the zombie.

You realised that you are facing a rare strand of magebane zombie, and more than the flesh of the living, they hunger for the that of the arcane. It's a fight that is stacked against you, one that has very little rewards. You promptly turn around and run as fast as your mage legs can take you.
    edited June 2017

i typed something long out and the forums literaly scrambled my post like eggs. screw it

edited June 2017
    @ZaydaWrath ... I am unsure how that post was intended to look but that's giving me a headache.

XP/armor destruction abilities would have to be very limited to make anyone want to kill said monster for the side-quest/loot table. I'd probably steer clear of rust monsters no matter what. Hate them in D&D/Pathfinder. Absolutely hate them!
  • While I like the Idea in theory, it would be hard to implement something like that without harming peoples enjoyment.
  • I love this idea
  • On this same tack, I'd also like to see cancellation of spells/effects. For instance, a fire mage who takes fire damage? Why? Fire mobs that can take fire damage? Yeah, no. Rather, make them immune to what they dish out (PC/NPC both) and make them more vulnerable to their antithesis. So, fire mage becomes more vulnerable to ice/water, fire mob becomes more vulnerable to ice/water ... so on and so forth.
  • While I like the Idea in theory, it would be hard to implement something like that without harming peoples enjoyment.
    How?
    Would it not be something people have to be aware of and ready for?   
  • Not exactly MMO related but in Borderlands when you come across an Super Duper Alpha Badass Corossive Skag, feelsbadman