Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Would anyone like to see gladiator arenas in nodes

Gladiator arenas in nodes could offer a friendly competitive pvp scene. Spectators could pay a small fee to enter the arena and be able to watch and bet on the fights to allow a reward for the competitors and spectators. The arenas could be open at limited times and have player driven leagues. The gladiators could hire people to help them prepare for the fight giving the hard core pvpers with the skill and the strategists a demand.

Comments

• There will be arenas and non lethal dueling but I personally wouldn't pay to do or watch it. 
  • Should be a feature of military nodes and make those nodes popular to visit.
  • Independent gladitor arenas would be cooler I think. Node base ones , I don't know I don't think nodes are gonna be that big to hold that kind of big concept.
  • Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing this in the militaristic nodes.
  • I think they were considering making any battle arenas server wide. So not sure what would work if one per node?
  • Yes but you can't hire people to help you.
  • No I don't think they would get used people will want to do there PvP outside any arena. Neocron had them. As far as I aware they did not get used much.
  • I'm expecting gladiator arenas to be built in Militaristic cities... at the very least.
  • I think arenas are a no brainer, the ultimate ego destroyer.
  • As I mentioned, there will be arenas. They didn't say where though but it will include player vs player and small groups, ranking is part of it. 
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/edit#heading=h.u2l47qw935r0
  • An arena, with an area announcement prior to the beginning of a fight....
    "Place your bets" player x (odds) Player Y (odds)
    With a count down timer.. you win, you lose... the addiction is fed
    I LIKE IT!!!!

• This would be very cool. Great suggestion!!!
  • Where's my "undecided" choice?

I don't see the difference between that and say just dueling someone because there really shouldn't be rewards.

Personally I think I'm going to have my hands too full doing other things to have time proving that I'm better than someone else. That will come when I'm trying to beat off the PKers. >:)
  • There will be some form of ranking.
    Also, I hope it will include a social space for spectators.
  • Maybe we could throw rotten vegetables at the losers!
  • I'll do it for the honor, but most of all, for the hats

• Sozia said:
    As I mentioned, there will be arenas. They didn't say where though but it will include player vs player and small groups, ranking is part of it. 
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/edit#heading=h.u2l47qw935r0
    I do recall them discussing PvP competitions and most likely trying to make them cross server. I believe Steven has even mentioned a Hero system in the game and considering his love for Lineage 2 I wouldn't be shocked. 
  • Arena sounds like a good idea to me, just if it's implemented as a tournament, more than random fights among people. I would definitely both pay a ticket to see one of this events and bet on fighters, if the competition is structured through qualifying events, semifinals and finals. This would create the right anticipation and give winners the deserved fame as well.

As a side note, it seems a good idea to restrict arenas to Militaristic nodes. I can't see why, lore wise, a scientific node should have an Arena.  
    I do recall them discussing PvP competitions and most likely trying to make them cross server. 
    This would be really awesome. I can imagine the crowd, people from multiple servers all there to root for the champions of their own one. Sounds epic!
  • Broooooooo i didnt think of this yet, this would be SOOOOOOO cool in the major nodes that have tournements. DAM
  • Karthos said:

Lol I was just thinking, "Two players enter, one player leaves!"
  • I think a cool system will something flexible yet automated. 

1. Tournaments happen on a certain schedule with players having certain time window to register. 
    2. The system will do the bracketing
    3. The system will notify the citizens of upcoming tournaments and the size of the tournament. 
    4. There can some kind of training function while players wait for their turn that gives the gladiators bonuses for their next fight. So it's not just a waiting game
    5. Players who are not around to start their battle forfeits and lose reputation which hurts their future rewards
    6. Rewards are given based on the size of the tournament. It will be mostly titles, and currencies to buy special cosmetics
    Also an even cooler gladiator system would be one that schedule thematic tournaments, like 2v2, 5v5, free-for-all, class-specific, pets-centric (where pets get an insane bonus in combat), or even PvE (player groups vs mini-boss monsters).

• Cyreph said:
    I think a cool system will something flexible yet automated. 
    (LIST OF COOL STUFF)
    Love this, all your propositions are insanely cool. I like the thematic tournaments idea a lot, the free for all brawl in particular. It would be absurdly chaotic and entertaining to see. I would have fun betting during such events.
  • Poll is unanimous. Perhaps they could make each arena relative to the type of node it's in. In the economic node the prise money could be more significant. In the Divine node combatants could have periodic buffs for competing. In the military zone, the mass or scale of the fights could be greater and more diverse....and in the science arena combatants would fight.....um.....without....gravity!?

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I hope that they do more than just an arena in the colosseum style. ...

Pvp arenas with no kill/corruption penalty for people to creep around ruins etc that can be watched from above pantomime style...... "he's behind y....too late"
  • Yes, any player made entertainment is always a good thing and fits right in with Ashes being a player driven world.

Good idea! Plus with the upgraded economy we should be able to 'invest' in certain gladiators, right?

I could start a gladiator's guild called The Four Horsemen and sell stock in it.

In game gambling on gladiator fights and chariot races could be a thing too.
  • @Crymoar I do believe you're a genius.
    *raises a flagon to toast awesome ideas*
  • Military nodes are already going to have these
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    No, @Kratz, you are not thinking big enough here.

In Economic nodes, everything is about money, right? So, only the richest should be allowed to fight.
    While wearing the most expensive, shiny, gem-covered equipment possible.
    By throwing gold coins to each other.

Apart from my nonsense, I like your idea very much :)
  • Rhoqaro said:
    No, @Kratz, you are not thinking big enough here.

In Economic nodes, everything is about money, right? So, only the richest should be allowed to fight.
    While wearing the most expensive, shiny, gem-covered equipment possible.
    By throwing gold coins to each other.

Apart from my nonsense, I like your idea very much :)
    Ditto - how about if you can only kill your opponent with coins? Must get to submit by stuffing a coin up their.......nevermind.