Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dryads (Potential Race Option)

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
So whether you do this before the game launches, or some time after in a new (2nd) release/patch... I think it would be amazing to see Dryads as a potential race in a MMORPG.
Why? From the looks of it, you will have a lot of wilderness and forest-like woods in the environment. Dryads are a mythical tree creature. We always have the typical same ole races in games, such as Elves, humans, dwarves, and orcs. You almost never see Dryads as a playable race in online games. So it would be very new & unique to include this mythical creature as a race in Ashes of Creation! 

A little bit about the folklore of Dryads:
They are a forest dwelling tree Nymph, or tree spirit. They originated from Greek mythology.
Usually, dryads are shy creatures; however they can be powerful, fierce, very intuitive. They are one with mother nature, or Earth. While their appearance is odd & unique, resembling that of an oak tree or ash tree - the females are mesmerizing & beautiful to look at. The males are more fierce & bulky in appearance. Males maybe intriguing to look at, but could also strike fear in their enemies due to their stature.

Creative Personal Ideas for In-Game Folklore:
They are a paganistic race, who worship Mother Earth as their deity. ("mother" being feminine/goddess) For this reason, they are ran as a Matriarchy. Sons grow to be strong warriors and hunters. Daughters grow to be rulers - nurturing & logical for their people & allies, yet ruthless to their enemies. Sons grow to be the army. Daughters grow to lead the army. Despite this, both genders are valued & treated with respect; and everyone is happy to play their part, or role, in their Dryadic society.
+ Summoners could have an elk or mystical sprite as their companions; or even a centaur would be cool! 
+ Mages are elemental... So the Earthy skills could be a Dryad's strongest skills!
+ A top-notch archer & hunter in the wilderness!
+ Male tanks, as a dryad, due to their stature & size, would be intimidating & tough!

Appearance options in character customization:
1. Various shades of tree bark-looking browns, and forest-like shades of green, for skin.
2. They can have wild looking hair, or different types of braids. Maybe even flowers incorporated into hair styles for females.
3. Various shapes & sizes of tree branch style horns!

Note: when I went to make edits, to fix my typos, my post disappeared. So I am posting again. For this reason, I apologize if there ends of being two of the same post later on at some point. However, this one  no longer has typos ;)

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    @lexmax sorry the one you originally commented on disappeared when I went to edit it for fixing my typos. But I saw your comment prior to that. Thank you for saying you would like to play as a Dryad. I think it would make an interesting race. And we, as a community, could discuss ideas for Dryads, and further elaborate on their culture... with enough attention/interest in this potential race, the creators of Ashes of Creation might add them into the game :)
  • Nymix said:
    @lexmax sorry the one you originally commented on disappeared when I went to edit it for fixing my typos. But I saw your comment prior to that. Thank you for saying you would like to play as a Dryad. I think it would make an interesting race. And we, as a community, could discuss ideas for Dryads, and further elaborate on their culture... with enough attention/interest in this potential race, the creators of Ashes of Creation might add them into the game :)
    Yes, I hope so too. The first time I remember reading about dryads was as a kid in the Chronicles of Narnia. I remember many discussions of this fascinating mythical race over the years with various friends :)
    edited June 2017
    I noticed in a youtube video I was watching about different races, there are two versions to each race...
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESrlC3lM9_Q)
    I noticed one version takes charge. Whether they are more governmental or militaristic. Then you have another type that is more cultural, intuitive, and likes trade.

For Dryads this could be slightly different, but still play into the 2 versions concept.
    In the original post I say, " For this reason, they are ran as a Matriarchy. Sons grow to be strong warriors and hunters. Daughters grow to be rulers - nurturing & logical for their people & allies, yet ruthless to their enemies. Sons grow to be the army. Daughters grow to lead the army."
    This means the two different versions would be separated by gender, to play into the Matriarchy concept.

So to add upon my original post, we could do this...
    Dryad Version One: Males (Dymados) represent physical strength & courage. They are competitive, with a military mindset. They provide, as hunters. They seek knowledge & truth. For this reason they are also intellectual. They understand the way the environment works, in ways that other races fail to understand (with the exception of elves ofcourse)... Being driven by the element of Earth, this makes them steady, reliable, powerful, & wise! This makes them a force to be reckoned with on the battle ground.

Dryad Version Two: Females (Dymidas) represent wisdom & nurturing. However they are also cunning, and capable of being ruthless.
    They are raised learning the ways of leadership & government. They are also taught how to make their people & environment thrive. They are highly educated in economy, rich culture, trade, & strategy. They are logical, but are also incredibly intuitive. They know how to listen to their gut instincts & intuition, as much as they are also willing to think with their mind! This makes them a steady, reliable force to be reckoned with, as well.
  • I would most deff make a bard/cleric dryad with pinkish skin and cherry blossoms for hair.

you could also introduce a new class with the dryads like being a druid thats heavily nature inspired.
  • Wow - this thread has been really educational for me! When I saw the title I thought we'd be discussing one of these

• I could see these being nice for a woodlands expansion for AoC. With specialized mechanics and bonus for Dryads in nature areas of the world. Similar to how I understand the Tulnar will work in the underground areas. 
  • so much green and life it hurts my nonexistent eyes 
  • ok.. ok.. green tree/groot thingy. Cool. how does the lore mix with these Dryads? have they alway been there or did they migrate too?
  • Daarhan said:
    ok.. ok.. green tree/groot thingy. Cool. how does the lore mix with these Dryads? have they alway been there or did they migrate too?
    Groot is a Tree Ent.. Would be cool to have the Dryad race summon Ents, or even temporarily morph into a big Ent using nearby trees to merge with.
    edited July 2017
    Image result for dryads
    I think it'd be cool to see NPC's in a game that are Dryads, it would be awesome to marry a beautiful Dryad such as this right here. Image result for dryads
    But I think it would go against their moral to battle animals and people as a character. 
    So it would be best to have NPC's instead that could be vendors or something else. 
  • Czar said:
    Image result for dryads
    I think it'd be cool to see NPC's in a game that are Dryads, it would be awesome to marry a beautiful Dryad such as this right here. Image result for dryads
    But I think it would go against their moral to battle animals and people as a character. 
    So it would be best to have NPC's instead that could be vendors or something else. 
    Can I just blight the area instead 
  • I would most deff make a bard/cleric dryad with pinkish skin and cherry blossoms for hair.

you could also introduce a new class with the dryads like being a druid thats heavily nature inspired.
    Agreed! The druid part most definitely!
    edited July 2017
    Daarhan said:
    ok.. ok.. green tree/groot thingy. Cool. how does the lore mix with these Dryads? have they alway been there or did they migrate too?
    Omg I would totally name a Dryad Character Groot! xD Didnt even think of that!
    Hmm, to your question... They migrated, and now that it is safe to come back home, they want to return to their "roots".
  • Groot reminds me of the trees in Tigger's Honey Hunt. Don't ask me why.
  • Czar said:
    I think it'd be cool to see NPC's in a game that are Dryads, it would be awesome to marry a beautiful Dryad such as this right here. 
    They may be shy, but they are one with mother nature... And would even worship her as a deity in game... since when has mother nature cared about not harming animals & people?! #NaturalDisasters
    So why would Dryads have an issue with fighting what they consider an enemy? Or defend what they feel is sacred or worth protecting? In this respect, it would not be against their nature. Nature can be giving & beautiful, providing us with what we need to survive; but it can also be harsh & cruel! Dryads can be the same way ;)
  • Nymix said:
    Czar said:
    I think it'd be cool to see NPC's in a game that are Dryads, it would be awesome to marry a beautiful Dryad such as this right here. 

To add on to that point, Man (humans) are notorious for destroying their environment ...So for lore or role play, Dryads could hate the human race, or see them as an enemy for draining resources and destroying their Goddess/Mother Nature.