Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

World Borders

I was wondering how world borders are going to be handled in AoC. I always find it really artificial when a world "ends" by a steep mountain or water you drown in or just simply have an invisible wall.

I think it would be amazing if the world could be made so that you can walk in world like on a globe, meaning that you can walk in 1 direction and get back to your starting point (assuming there isn't impassable areas in between, like mountains.

I understand this might be hard to do technically but it would still make the world that much better.

Comments

• what if you had an endless ocean and if you attempted to cross it you would finish in another server?
    and when you are in the border, it states 'it looks like it leads to a completely different world. are you sure you want to continue?
  • Invisible walls and areas that are not accessible feel really unappealing and not realistic what so ever. open world should mean you can go anywhere and have that ability of adventure, otherwise its not really open world.

As for borders, i would like to see mmos that allow more sea based content that allows meaning for the seas. Its really neglected in more or less every open world game. If this was the case it would fit well with what i propose as a border. Maybe going too far out into the sea you will come to the rough areas of the sea and this will be the ocean. This is not meant to be playable area, so high waves, cold water and strong currents and a darker area of sea would indicate that you cannot progress further or you will die from fatigue or drowning over time.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Irobot said:
    " what if you had an endless ocean and if you attempted to cross it you would finish in another server?
    and when you are in the border, it states 'it looks like it leads to a completely different world. are you sure you want to continue? "
    like this idea
  • I think it would be cool if, instead of making artifical barriers to keep us from going somewhere, they put some sort of crazy hard challenge that keeps us from going that way. Like, if we sail to an area the devs don't want us to go yet, they but a giant kraken world boss that destroys our ship. Or maybe, on land, they have an enchanted forest that spells us into an intense nightmare to keep us from going through until we can figure out how to get passed nature's enchantment. 
    edited July 2017
    Only reason maps are the way they are is usually is to expand into new areas for updates etc - even though it can be annoying it's practical. Not sure how I feel about "new maps" for Ashes so perhaps a round world would be nice. I feel that expansions should do something to change our current world- whether it's a natural disaster to change the landscape slightly or a new threat from a portal etc or a new "discovery" type of node/religious culture kinda thing ^^
  • Diura said:
    Only reason maps are the way they are is usually is to expand into new areas for updates etc - even though it can be annoying it's practical. Not sure how I feel about "new maps" for Ashes so perhaps a round world would be nice. I feel that expansions should do something to change our current world- whether it's a natural disaster to change the landscape slightly or a new threat from a portal etc or a new "discovery" type of node/religious culture kinda thing ^^
    A round world would be nice and give more to explore. But I do like the idea of natural disasters which I think maybe be intended in the game.  I seem to recall that Steven mentioned things like mines or dungeons appearing in such ways as say the ground caving  in or such.  Wish I could recall his exact words.  
  • Diura said:
    A round world would be nice and give more to explore. But I do like the idea of natural disasters which I think maybe be intended in the game.  I seem to recall that Steven mentioned things like mines or dungeons appearing in such ways as say the ground caving  in or such.  Wish I could recall his exact words.  
    I agree and remember being it mentioned too vaguely ^^ *points at text* This is why Ashes is gonna be cool xD Wee details like this that seem so simple but can add a lot of flavour and spice to the game ^^. Imagine some dungeons being seasonal because snow has blocked an entrance? Interactive worlds are cool ^^
  • This actually brings me back to the oceans and tides... a spherical world ever changing by player actions and disasters.... rising tides, active surf... maybe a rare set of king tides that reveal the entrance to a dungeon that is only accessible twice per day during the king tides
  • Other random ideas: If you walk too far you might end up lost in an endless forest, or sail too far and enter eternal fog.
    edited July 2017
    Honestly, I'd like something that would help keep immersion rather than hitting an invisible wall.  Maybe something like the following:  

You get to a world border and proceed to walk through it.  You would then be prompted with a cut scene relative to the surrounding area that you are trying to cross at.  If it's a forest, then forest type setting, if it's a city, then a city scene.  The cut scene would show your character merrily continuing on their journey into the unknown region.  

You would then get a prompt to either remain at your current location right at the border, in which case the scene would show your character deciding not venture any further.  Or you could choose to continue on, in which you would proceed to travel to the nearest spawn location/city.  The scene would show your character as if coming back to the known spawn/city after some time away in the unknown regions.  This way it gives the impression that your character has been on an adventure elsewhere, but is now back and ready to go.