Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How the world came to its knees.

Greed can make even the most humble of men delusional and rampant. 

Greed will take away your family, your home, your friends, and what will it give you in return? 

Entropy. 

One night I was pondering to myself, how did the world of Ashes end... why did everyone leave in such a hurry... how could such a beautiful world end like this.
Image result for ashes of creation concept art

Related image

Image result for ashes of creation concept art

I was fantasizing, and an image of the Rogue/Ranger popped into my head

What lead him to kill men and snatch this unknown object? Is he protecting the people he loves? Is he saving his men, his friends... or is he doing it for his own selfish gain.

Women and Men will go to terrible lengths to get what they want. 

A story played through my mind of a man who uncovered something terribly evil.. something dark and vile, perhaps one of those wicked gods that they mentioned in a particular live stream. 
He let it loose and perhaps it lived in him for a temporary time, feeding off of him until it was ready to let ash reign upon the world itself...

It's a story/image that came to me and I thought I'd share it.

Comments

• Options
    I feel it had a lot to do with this Corruption the devs keep mentioning. Perhaps the Corruption has a sentience and took over someone, like you said, and began infected others until practically the whole world was consumed by it.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    We've discussed this before and it's a fun conversation.
    I can't remember who I was chatting with but we imagined that the Ashes world becomes so advanced that the people were starting wars etc too out of control for the gods to handle and thus 

a. Civilisation destroyed their world and Gods opened the divine gates to allow people to flee.
    b. A rebellious group of people destroy the world and Gods opened divine gateways to allow people flee.
    c. Gods have a fight with each other which destroyed the world and some Gods opened the divine gates to allow people to flee.
    d. That one rogue God that always exists in mmo goes against the other gods and curses the people with corruption that destroys the world and Gods open divine gateways to let the people flee xD

i can go on aha

I hope there is a Phoenix God - somehow the Ashes world has been corrpupted either by another god or by human greed (caused be a god hence the disagreement between gods) that's become so destructed it's caused the calamaity. The Phoenix God tries to "cleanse" the world with its fire so it can bereborn. Other gods open the gates to let the people flee xD

so much fun speculating xD
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    I feel it had a lot to do with this Corruption the devs keep mentioning. Perhaps the Corruption has a sentience and took over someone, like you said, and began infected others until practically the whole world was consumed by it.
    Yes exactly! As you can notice in the second picture there people on top of the roofs, it seems as if they're aiming towards the people trying to escape, could they in fact be corrupted? Or are they defending their people. 
  • Options
    Diura said:
    We've discussed this before and it's a fun conversation.
    I can't remember who I was chatting with but we imagined that the Ashes world becomes so advanced that the people were starting wars etc too out of control for the gods to handle and thus 

a. Civilisation destroyed their world and Gods opened the divine gates to allow people to flee.
    b. A rebellious group of people destroy the world and Gods opened divine gateways to allow people flee.
    c. Gods have a fight with each other which destroyed the world and some Gods opened the divine gates to allow people to flee.
    d. That one rogue God that always exists in mmo goes against the other gods and curses the people with corruption that destroys the world and Gods open divine gateways to let the people flee xD

i can go on aha

I hope there is a Phoenix God - somehow the Ashes world hasn't been corrpupted either by another god or by human greed (caused be a god hence the disagreement between gods) that's become so destructed it's caused the calamaity. The Phoenix God tries to "cleanse" the world with its fire so it can bereborn. Other gods open the gates to let the people flee xD

so much fun speculating xD
    Yeah another idea would be if the Phoenix God (who created us) had a falling out with another god, and the other god wanted to smite the Phoenix god, but the only way he knew how was to smite his children (us). 
  • Options
    My favorite speculation is that magic itself is the ultimate cause of corruption. Sort of like how nuclear fission leads to abundant energy but also to toxic waste, there will also be a "yin and yang" to the use of magic: Spent mana eventually seeps into the pores of the planet and eventually twists the very fabric of life itself.

Even the gods can't contain or control this pooling magical waste as it ferments and becomes toxic, which is why they sent people away from the planet to a world without magic.

I'll go even further to speculate that most of the gods also fled to avoid the corruption. But a few of them stayed behind to protect those who didn't leave (the Tulnar). Some of these gods also fell victim to the corruption along with some of their faithful Tulnar. But not all Tulnar and not all gods that stayed behind will be corrupt.

After millennia, the corruption faded, but by now the planet is a different, more sinister place. Then for some reason we stumble back through the gateways...

It's all just speculation though!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    intriguing ...The corruption must have come from maybe a mad god or something different to the divine force that opened the portals Im thinking.  Then is it the same divine that bought the people back ? If so for what purpose are we back ? Or is it a trap....i think ive gone mad.......
  • Options
    Although I don't have a concrete idea I have some things to  say:

1st: when we looked at the world the videos showed us, we can see that only the things related to those who once lived in this world were destroyed. Which means that we fled because something targeted us specifically. Like a disease with a high potency against humanoids species.
    -Why not corruption? Because if it was that dangerous we would not have come back again since it's still here.
    -Why not some kind of disaster (METEOOOOOOR SHOWEEEEEEERRRRR!)? Cause the all world would have been messed up and the aftermath of that event would be visible on the surface. Though we still haven't seen everything, so far it's pretty neat.

So I'm thinking of something on the line of a disease or a scourge ( goddamit lich king @nagash , every time!) or we woke some kind of gigantic monster from the depth of the earth/sea and got our arse kicked out of the world.

2nd: the origin of corruption. I don't have the chicken king picture on me but that shet is terrifying. Whoever/Whatever is the origin of corruption might not be something we wish to encounter or provoke. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I personally love the idea mentioned by lexmax saying:
    My favorite speculation is that magic itself is the ultimate cause of corruption. Sort of like how nuclear fission leads to abundant energy but also to toxic waste, there will also be a "yin and yang" to the use of magic: Spent mana eventually seeps into the pores of the planet and eventually twists the very fabric of life itself.
    This in my mind is always a fun story ark. It covers things like certain evil characters/creatures using certain spells, looking a certain evil way and acting in certain ways, all because they are corrupted. I also like the idea of time and our deeds that can possibly cure/fix the land and even the creatures, that at least could explain why we can and could come back. 

If something like this is to be true then what you guys think of the idea of a system that players could use the corruption? Much like the creature coin system?
  • Options
    Mother nature took things into her own hands and used her magic to cleanse the corruption and evil of man  from the world.
  • Options
    The corruption thing is a pretty good idea. Depending on how they play it out. It was one of the main themes in Warhammer: Age of Reckoning (if I am remembering correctly). I think any of these ideas would work. We fled but I gather from the kickstarter videos and other places that we have been gone a long, long, long time. Things can change of decades or even millions of years. The corruption could have turned on itself, the Gods could have gone to "sleep" without having the power behind their worshipers, etc.  
  • Options
    They left because it was pay to play.
  • Options
    What if you have the welfare of the majority of life on one side and the welfare of just one species on the other ?
    What if one side pushed too far and had to be removed and a force was created to enable that ?
    What if one realised that mutual destruction was destroying the very life-force they wanted to preserve and enhance so gave them a way out instead of guaranteed annihilation ?
    Whether that would be wise, would depend on if that species would change.
  • Options
    A god farted too much and the gaz corrupted the world. The end.
  • Options
    I like the idea of a God-Sent creature like the Phoenix was sent to cleanse the world of it's corruption BUT the 'Corruption' itself turned it against the people/world and it became the blunt instrument to the worlds demise... Although centuries might of past... The people are finally coming back and are now ready to retake and rebuild the world from its Ashes! 

...But at the sametime, something stirs in the dark corners of the world. Something that had been sleeping is now awoken and seeks to corrupt the brightest of souls.
  • Options
    Vhanz said:
    I like the idea of a God-Sent creature like the Phoenix was sent to cleanse the world of it's corruption BUT the 'Corruption' itself turned it against the people/world and it became the blunt instrument to the worlds demise... 
    That's an amazing concept!