Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What, if anything do we know about the Corruption

I've seen it mentioned here a few times and the devs talk about it. Do we have any solid information or is everything just speculation at this point?

From what I've heard from other users, it sounds quite similar to Chaos from the Warhammer universe.

Please post any info you have or even your favorite theories, I'd love to read them.

Comments

• http://ashesofcreation.gamepedia.com/PvP#Corruption
    This might help your understanding a little. I remember there being some excellent images to help give a visual understanding but I can't find them at the moment :) Once I do I will let you know ^^
  • FellGlint said:
    I've seen it mentioned here a few times and the devs talk about it. Do we have any solid information or is everything just speculation at this point?

From what I've heard from other users, it sounds quite similar to Chaos from the Warhammer universe.

Please post any info you have or even your favorite theories, I'd love to read them.
    Yes, the "chaos" in Warhammer seems to be similar to the idea of corruption that caused the gods to open the gateways. The only solid info on what caused that is scant to say the least!

As to speculation, I've posted on this before..

Magic itself is the ultimate cause of corruption. Sort of like how nuclear fission leads to abundant energy but also to toxic waste, there will also be a "yin and yang" to the use of magic: Spent mana eventually seeps into the pores of the planet and eventually twists the very fabric of life itself.

Even the gods can't contain or control this pooling magical waste as it ferments and becomes toxic, which is why they sent people away from the planet to a world without magic.

I'll go even further to speculate that most of the gods also fled to avoid the corruption. But a few of them stayed behind to protect those who didn't leave (the Tulnar). Some of these gods also fell victim to the corruption along with some of their faithful Tulnar. But not all Tulnar and not all gods that stayed behind will be corrupt.

After millennia, the corruption faded, but by now the planet is a different, more sinister place. Then for some reason we stumble back through the gateways...
  • Hey Diura thanks for the write up, there was heaps on useful information there.

Lexmax that's what I was hoping for, love your speculation theory too. Thanks for sharing.
  • @Diura great write up and you guys are doing some bang up work at odyssey. But I think you got your flowchart a wee bit wrong in one case. If a green player attacks and kills a green player that doesn't react, they become red, not purple. Now it may be a moot point, since by attacking the green player they would shift to purple before they kill them, but will become red on the green players death. It could be misunderstood that attacking green/green won't turn you red from the chart. Can't wait for alpha so we can get all the combos down right and get them to fix any exploits to the system, like attacking a green player, but not killing them, but using the environment to kill them, thus not gaining corruption.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    @Diura great write up and you guys are doing some bang up work at odyssey. But I think you got your flowchart a wee bit wrong in one case. If a green player attacks and kills a green player that doesn't react, they become red, not purple. Now it may be a moot point, since by attacking the green player they would shift to purple before they kill them, but will become red on the green players death. It could be misunderstood that attacking green/green won't turn you red from the chart. Can't wait for alpha so we can get all the combos down right and get them to fix any exploits to the system, like attacking a green player, but not killing them, but using the environment to kill them, thus not gaining corruption.
    Thanks for pointing this out that it can be misunderstood! The flowchart is from the google doc the community pulled together on discord  so I'll try to contact the owners of the google doc too :)
    I agree too that I look forward to finding the exploits and reporting them so it's not an issue at launch ❤️ Awesome community we have here ^^
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    If a PURPLE Combatant Player attacks a GREEN Non-Combatant player the attacking Player will become a RED Corrupt Player.
    1. If the player being attacked does nothing they will remain GREEN
    2. If the player being attack retaliates they will become PURPLE

Ooops. That is incorrect.
    If a Purple combatant kills a Green non-combatant player, the attacking player will become a Red Corrupt player.
    Corruption is accrued by killing non-combatants; not from attacking non-combatants.