Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Remove the Captcha for login

Hello. I think its odd that there needs to be a captcha just to login. I understand why you should have one on account creation, but its so annoying to have to select the cars and street signs every time I login. And its also annoying I have to login every time even though I have keep me logged in checked. It's just a small thing but it would actually make this website better.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    I truly don't mind. Security has been a major issue in the MMO genre forever. The Intrepid team going the extra mile this early gives me hope that the future will be bot, and as hack free as possible. 

The stay logged in check box works for me though. 
  • I wonder if that's an error having to relog every time - because I don't need to to that I'm constantly logged in ^^

• GOAT said:
    I truly don't mind. Security has been a major issues in the MMO genre forever. The Intrepid team going the extra mile this early gives me hope that the future will be bot, and as hack free as possible. 

Then release a security key app on mobile and use that. But captcha doesnt do much. If a bot got past the account creation captcha, it can get past the login one. And if a person hacks your account a capatcha will do nothing to stop them.
  • I think the captcha is gaslighting me on what the meaning of car and sign are.
  • I haven't had any issues with it, mind you I rarely ever log out. I think any additional security is always a plus!
  • haven't had any issues with staying log in and security is always good to have XD
  • No issues of staying logged in here. 
  • Fwuppers said:

But captcha doesnt do much. If a bot got past the account creation captcha, it can get past the login one. 
    Not really.

Bots don't create accounts, people do. So captcha means nothing there.

However once person has made an account, then he configures bot to periodically log in and spamm. So Captcha does help there!

Because now the person needs to log himself every time he wants to spam, bot can't do this for him anymore.

login CAPTCHA + auto log off timer = the way to combat spam bots.
  • I'm permanently logged on, try messing about with your chrome, or whatever you use, settings! 
  • I would rather have to do the CAPTCHA than have to look at "Go to Ashesgold.arm. We have the lowest prices on gold!" flooding my chat box every 5 seconds once the game launches. More security that removes the ability of gold spammer/account hackers to automate their process is a good thing. While it may inconvenience you in the short term, it actually protects you in ways you don't notice when done right. I would expect other security measures that are going to seem idiotic to you, but keep the worst of the trash spammers out.

One of the better systems I saw in place was only allowing a single character deletion per day. People bitched and moaned that they weren't "able to customize my character over and over the way I want before I enter the game. I want to be able to log in, see the character, then log out, delete, then create another!" They started the limitation, and guess what? The spam dropped to miniscule levels once the gold spammers were not able to create characters over and over, spam their macro, then delete the character before the account could be tracked.
  • I rarely have to re-log in.
    I'm constantly in on 4 devices.
    Maybe I re-log in once per week on one of the devices.

I'm not sure what's causing someone to have to frequently re-log.
    Captchas are quick, so, doesn't bother me at all.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Cookie blocking
  • i havent needed to log in since the new forums got put up... so no issue here
  • tugowar said:
    Cookie blocking
    My mum tried that when I was young, broke the jar right over the broads head! 
  • I log in every day and don't have a problem with it. A few clicks and its done.

• Fwuppers said:
    Hello. I think its odd that there needs to be a captcha just to login. I understand why you should have one on account creation, but its so annoying to have to select the cars and street signs every time I login. And its also annoying I have to login every time even though I have keep me logged in checked. It's just a small thing but it would actually make this website better.

Good morning,

I have moved this thread to customer support queue. The captcha is a layer of security by design. The requirement to login each time might have to do with browser cache. I personally have not had an issue once I selected the keep me logged in box. Are you clearing history or cookies at close of browser?

This discussion has been closed.