Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player and npc-collision.

So player(character) and npc-collision is it somethingd that should be in the game?

It will make quite a difference to how you play the game, can you run right through other players, npc:s and monsters that you encounter in the world or do they take up physical space in the world and you have to go around them. You would have to think about placement and use tacticts that dont come into play if there is no collision and you would be able to run right through them.

Now pvp would be very different with or without collision.
Just think about it, with collision you would actually be able to defend a chokepoint in the terrain or in a building with just a few players...
Large scale pvp would also involve different tactics depending on if there is collision or not.

So would you like to see player and npc-collision in the game or just one of the two and if only one which one and why?

Comments

• Options
    I would like to see them both, in PVE and in PVP. 

BTW it's hard to think how a single man would block the way to a 4m dragon.
  • Options
    I'd like it if there was some kind of detection which if both players/mobs are currently in engaged in combat. Collision turns on? It'd be cool for defending locations and prevent zergs just rushing through spamming AoE's like you have in GW2 WvW and other events.

At the same time, collision can be a nuisance in towns when you just want to get from A -> B. I like the approach Black Desert Online had where walking through players / NPC's would do a little bump effect.

• Options
    I like the idea of collision as well. I felt that was something that was really missing in TESO. The easy of simply passing through a wall of shields or an NPC creats a huge gap in the concept of strategy. ::Fingers crossed::
  • Options
    Steven has confirmed both player and spell collision. 
  • Options
    Belewyn said:
    I like the idea of collision as well. I felt that was something that was really missing in TESO. The easy of simply passing through a wall of shields or an NPC creats a huge gap in the concept of strategy. ::Fingers crossed::
    Yeah, I think collision would be great, especially for the tanks in PvP. Think how effective that could be? What can I say, some like to collide more than others ;)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    ESO had to where you can go through people and let me tell you BAD IDEA.. best to have collision
  • Options
    Collisions confirmed
  • Options
    I like a collision-system. However, it should be soft-collision, not hard-collision. Hard-collision allows too much abuse by blocking other players to grief them. Likewise, soft-collision doesn't allow quite as much tactical interaction for tanks. Maybe have a tank ability with a CD that "hardens" the tank collision for a very short time. I think the hinted-at wall system may go in this direction. Or have hard-collision for enemy targets and soft-collision for allies.
  • Options
    +1 for collisions.

It's been more than a couple years now since Warhammer Online fizzled out, and despite it problems/longevity the memory of having player collision and shield bashing enemy players into the lava still brings me a smile

• Options
    Flatline said:
    ESO had to where you can go through people and let me tell you BAD IDEA.. best to have collision
    Really disliked that fact people could stand within people, especially at the bank where there was limited space. Seeing 3-4 people clip in and out of each other was very disturbing.

I prefer hard collision outside the city walls and soft collision within cities and parties. Basically hard collision vs enemies and soft with friendlies. Soft collision means you can't stand inside someones collision box BUT after a couple secs of exertion, you can push past them (eliminating the possibility of someone blocking a doorway, etc)
  • Options
    I would most definitely like to see collision in all options mentioned. I just hope we find all the associated bugs early
  • Options
    Collision is nice but in PvE it can be used for griefing, that's really my only concern.
  • Options
    Isabelle said:
    Collision is nice but in PvE it can be used for griefing, that's really my only concern.
    They stated they are aware of that and will have mechanisms in place to stop that. In other games that have had "hard" collision you do have people who park mounts on top of things like static npcs and mailboxes to grief. I imagine they will go with a mix of hard and soft collision mechanics and will adjust them over the course of alpha to stop potential griefing. Just one of the things to get to during the testing phase for those in alpha. Since progress during the alpha and beta phases will be wiped, there is no real reason for people to get attached to their testing characters, so I plan to do all sorts of nasty things to try and break systems so that before we get to live the game is as grief/exploit free as possible.
  • Options
    I finally found it! The reason why I think collision shouldn't be permanently active!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCEMrTWL8gk

I really hope they make it depending on if both players are currently in combat.
  • Options
  • Options
    When using collision in game please be careful as if there are quest NPCs that need to move in order to trigger an event such as a quest completion or continuation people can intercept it and grief your quest progression. 

An easy way around that is that the NPC becomes phased and can walk through everything until it reaches the trigger point, or a more complex routing system that requires the entire zone to be mapped and for a separate piece of code to figure out the best route when encountering an obstacle.

Also, would collision effect your ability to enter doorways and instances? 

Quest/Lore/Important NPCs can be picked out in a massive crowd by highlighting their character border in-game and making them clickable even through other players, which I think is important for busy zones where a lot of stress can come from just trying to find/click a quest-giver, for example.