Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Housing Idea

From what I can tell, everything built by players can be destroyed by other players. Sounds great! 

One feature that should be added to this, is a sign outside my house that states "protected by "guild". This could create an economic system for guilds who are hired to protect, and extract revenge on players who destroys homes. For example, if my home is destroyed, and I find out who did it, I would tell the guild who is "protecting" my home and they would in turn put a bounty the offender. This could mean destroying everything they have, or getting my stuff back. 

Could lead to some great guild v guild action!

Comments

• Besides possibly harvested resources you won't be losing much from a freehold if it were destroyed. The furniture and stuff will be in a template that you will be able to rebuild. Also, odds are the guild doing the protecting in your node would have just lost a siege, thus allowing your freehold to be ransacked, so their power of "getting your stuff back" would most likely be ineffective versus the sieging guild that just mopped the floor with them.
  • @Hoax, your freehold only becomes vulnerable for a window of time if your node is successfully sieged. You can hire NPCs to guard your freehold for this period of time and of course ask your guildmates for help :)

Your player housing only gets destroyed by a siege if your node delevels below stage 3.

As @UnknownSystemError expertly stated, you don't lose your belongings if your player housing is destroyed. These are saved for you to use again at a later date.
  • @lexmax so does that mean there will be no freehold out with the major nodes? For example if you wanted a house outside a huge city, in the countryside lets say, then would that be vulnerable to attack?
  • Zid said:
    @lexmax so does that mean there will be no freehold out with the major nodes? For example if you wanted a house outside a huge city, in the countryside lets say, then would that be vulnerable to attack?

Freeholds are built within a Nodes Zone Of Influence and are protected unless the Node is sieged and loses the battle, then as stated above your Freehold would be open to attack and you would have the option to defend it.

Maddstone

• Maddstone said:
    Zid said:
    @lexmax so does that mean there will be no freehold out with the major nodes? For example if you wanted a house outside a huge city, in the countryside lets say, then would that be vulnerable to attack?

Freeholds are built within a Nodes Zone Of Influence and are protected unless the Node is sieged and loses the battle, then as stated above your Freehold would be open to attack and you would have the option to defend it.

What @Maddstone said :)
  • They haven't set the times in stone as of yet. But have explained how they see the time mechanics working. Sieges once declared take a certain amount of time to occur varying from 1-5 days. The actual siege window was something like 2 hours, followed by another similar time window when freeholds could be ransacked if the node loses, followed by a cooldown period that is 10x the original declaration period. If the node repels the siege then no freehold ransacking. There is another post out there or maybe the odyssey website has the info I am thinking of. Also freeholds are available from node level 3, so there will be plenty of places to put them, not just in the metropolis ZoI, though nearer to bigger would probably be safer. Taking down a level 3 node vs a level 6 metropolis are going to be orders of magnitude different for sure.
  • I misunderstood the mechanic I guess. I thought I read somewhere that  you could build a big house somewhere in the wilderness at your own risk. All good! 
  • @Hoax There are a few videos out there showing the freeholds and their relative size. I believe the area that they take up is static, but the exterior of the buildings changes based on node level from 3,4, to 5. (Could be wrong on that) The customizations and furniture sets seem to come in tiers of 3, so could be confusing that with freeholds changing appearance. You can have one of each housing type in the node you have citizenship in. Freehold, in town housing, and in town instanced apartments(if your ruling body/mayor has decided to open that option up).
  • Hoax said:
    I misunderstood the mechanic I guess. I thought I read somewhere that  you could build a big house somewhere in the wilderness at your own risk. All good! 
    The size of a freehold lot is predetermined, but the footprint is "sizeable". There will be mandatory gaps between freehold plots, but all freeholds exist inside a node's ZOI. Things could change though as the development progresses :)