Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

With power....

Comes really cool graphics!

Ok ok ok, so we like graphics, but what about immersive combat?  What is this immersive combat, you ask?  When you're level 1 and the Giant just swung his club and not only owned you, but sent you flying!  Then, when you're stronger, like Hercules stronger, you come back to that mean ol' Giant to show him just how much stronger you've become!  He swings that club and you're now able to stop the club, with one arm, while holding your ground.  Add in some fancy over-powering moves and the Giant dies.  Quite the difference from your weakling days!

Or perhaps as a lvl 1 Mage, you're gleefully exploring a pretty forest at night, and unhappily stumble upon a pack of crazed Zombies.  They run at you, you summon a barrier but alas it is no use, they break through and dine away!  Making a mental note to come back to this location at a much later time, you do so, but now you're quite the Mage, riddled with power.  Oh look, Zombies, Raararrrrr!  Your magical powers relative to the Zombies ability to resist is overwhelming.  You summon your barrier, watch the Zombies wack away at it and laugh.  You pause for a moment to decide how they will die, as you hadn't yet thought this through.  You settle on disintegration.  With a few waves of your hands, the power builds.  You focus the magical energy and then direct it all towards the mindless Zombie pack.  You watch as your pretty forest looks even prettier when Zombies are being vaporized by a spectacular blast.

If anyone remembers Star Wars the Old Republic, one cool thing about that game was when I took my Sith Lord through a low level dungeon for friends.  I had a 100% block chance with my Lightsaber against the lowbie creatures.  For the first time, I felt like being max lvl meant something and it felt like I was actually a Sith Lord.

I guess what I'm saying is, it would be nice to have some representation, graphically or through mechanics, to demonstrate and establish ones power relative to another.

Comments

• From what we have seen so far this is something I'm pretty confident will be in the game... visual representations rather than numbers! 

Not combat but cool graphics...

• More spell effects seems to be the go to when determining spell level, but when it comes to melee combat, comparing strengths is usually just done by who's hit does more physical damage per hit.  You just take a larger chunk out of the persons HP bar after mathematically calculations and that's about it.  In the event that the game has statistics for characters, I'll use +STR.  If a game really wants STR to mean something, it would be nice if it were represented graphically, relative to that of your opponents strength.  Referring to the Giant encounter.  When you are weak and the Giant hits you, you should really go flying and become dazed, if not already dead.  Get stronger as you progress and eventually you surpass the strength of the giant and can stop it's swings or at least challenge them.  If two players of equal level engage one another with different STRs, and one has far more STR, different tactics should be required to defeat the physically stronger opponent.
  • Here's partly what brought immersion to SWTOR for me.  Looks great having the visual when deflecting blaster shots, but not only that, there would come a point in time when you're high enough level that there's no chance of being hit by lower levels.

https://youtu.be/3ebe6qsSblg

and here we have melee blocking a spell.... your char progression lower than that of the caster?  Wont be spellblocking today!

https://youtu.be/-PKxXdSUl3Q?t=123
  • lexmax said:
    From what we have seen so far this is something I'm pretty confident will be in the game... visual representations rather than numbers! 

i'd like to point out that there's a reason that's someone invented doors and gates.... floating over the wall's makes that person die just a little on the inside
  • Shunex said:
    lexmax said:
    From what we have seen so far this is something I'm pretty confident will be in the game... visual representations rather than numbers! 

i'd like to point out that there's a reason that's someone invented doors and gates.... floating over the wall's makes that person die just a little on the inside
    That doesn't change the fact that it would be fun to do so though lol... just imagine being in that village in that gif and see five mages doing that... wouldn't you just want to just stand there and watch it happen?
  • I totally get what you're saying, SWTOR lightsabers blocking most if not all incoming lasers at higher level WAS the BEST! It is very rewarding to have a graphical representation of the power your character now has. I think (If I remember well) Warhammer Online also showed blocks with shields and parries with sword as well as adding the sound effects for them. I'm with you 100%, if I play a ranger or rogue and my dodge level is very high, I'd love to see him move out of the way slightly actually dodging or flicking projectiles away. A mage could just have an animation of a flaring energy shield around him, simple yet very cool. 

Technically, it can be something you see only on your screen to enhance your play experience. Doesn't have to be server side.
  • Shunex said:

Wouldn't they all so get pierced by shit tons of arrows by the guards!? lol I know my city guards would take her down! lol
  • Yes @DarkTides! This exactly :)
  • This is an rpg so there should be some vertical scaling. As you progress you should get stronger items and skills but i hope the majority of my characters power comes me, the player. I want my understanding of my class and my enemy to be what makes me strong, not the numbers the game gives me. To keep content relevant, i hope i'm not immortal to the mobs that i fought at level 1 and I don't one shot them with a sneeze. 
  • Vertical progression is never a good thing in mutiplayer games IMHO.
    Leave god mode for single player.
    Not everyone can be a god.....and if they are you have serious balance issues.

Not that I dont love god mode just as much as the next person....ther is a time and a place.
    Monster coins for instance.
  • Have they mentioned what kind of progression system they have?  Horizontal progression is still a vertical progression, just in another way.

We are playing a High Fantasy Roleplaying MMO.  Really doesnt seem immersive at all when apprentice mages are able to defeat master mages.  What god mode are you referring to?  Higher level compared to lower levels?  You would eliminate all immersion for selfish gains, simply because, I gather you dont want to be killed by a higher level player?  Most games out there are PvP.  Twitch is filled with PVP.  Ashes has a corruption system in place to counter griefing.  If the higher level kills you and your buddies and you didn't fight back, he will eventually be useless in combat due to penalties accrued, and become unable to fight back.  At which point in time, you get payback and the griefer probably loses far more than you did and you dont get penalized for killing the killer.

I'm also talking about what combat should look like.  Not asking for god mode.  If you have a stamina bar, that depletes as you perform blocks/spell absorbs, then you can graphically represent this by actually blocking spells and or melee attacks with defensive abilities automatically.  Once you can no longer endure attacks, they break through, damaging your HP bar.  Obviously, if your opponent is stronger, the faster these attacks break through your defenses.  It's something that should be added for visual flare.  Getting slashed with a 2hand sword, and watching it graphically cut through your head, but nothing happens, is not immersive for me.
  • This is an rpg so there should be some vertical scaling. As you progress you should get stronger items and skills but i hope the majority of my characters power comes me, the player. I want my understanding of my class and my enemy to be what makes me strong, not the numbers the game gives me. To keep content relevant, i hope i'm not immortal to the mobs that i fought at level 1 and I don't one shot them with a sneeze. 
    I'm on the other side of the spectrum on this one.  The only problem that arose in the past from low level content was ghost zones.  It seems like they came up with a way around ghost zones by giving incentives to progress lower level nodes other than the ones established.