Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will there be DLC?

if there is DLC, will it eventually become free over time like in WoW?

Comments

• I've not heard IS mention this... this sounds like a good question for the livestream!
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/34417/official-live-stream-q-a-question-thread-july-18th-2017
  • lexmax said:
    I've not heard IS mention this... this sounds like a good question for the livestream!
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/34417/official-live-stream-q-a-question-thread-july-18th-2017
    ok i did that thank you
  • Ummm...they have stated a couple different times in video Q&As that there will be dlc, as in content updates every couple months, that will be free. If you are trying to ask if there will be an additional cost besides the subscription to play, then no. Will they go back on their word two years down the line and start charging people for stuff beyond a subscription or cosmetic items from the store? We hope not, but anything is possible.
  • Yep...monthly small releases of content with bigger quarterly releases!
  • I hope they do add payable major DLC every couple of years though
  • @Iscoed1815 I hope they add "free" major DLC every couple of years. DLC generally is simply a way of increasing profit, if you are charging a monthly fee to play my belief is the drive to create/release content should be based around keeping the paying member numbers up rather than additional gouging.
  • As long as it's decent content, I have no problems paying extra for extra content ie: new areas etc. WOW has had no problems (maybe) in charging for new expansions.
  • I would be very surprised if we ever see paid dlc. Since it isn't a themepark it would be really hard for them to create specific zones for content. Same goes for there being no set endgame/gear grind. They are really hoping to make enough cash off of sub numbers and cosmetic swag to keep the content rolling. And no matter the price point there are always going to be people that you piss off to the point they leave your game over paid dlc. For me it was the Pandapocalypse of WOW. I never bought it, and years later when I finally went back to try Legion for a couple months was glad I hadn't dropped any cash on them. Also run into the whole if people join later, do they have to pay for earlier dlc, or all they all rolled into one problem. Everquest had a whopping total of 20 expansions over its shelflife, do NOT want to see a similar cash grab mechanic here.
  • Yep...monthly small releases of content with bigger quarterly releases!

I imagine they don't want to keep adding zones - I mean usually with adding zones old zones get forgotten because "max level" players tend to swarm to new zones. 
    As mentioned already there will be updates monthly and large quarterly releases too keep the current world "eventful".
    Some of the content they add in updates we won't see until it's "triggered" which goes for some of the content they add now xD
    I'm sure Intrepid have lots of plans hidden up their sleeve ^^ I'm sure they will do their best to ensure the Ashes world stays alive and entertaining without the need to add more areas xD
  • @Diura I just don't get where this idea that max level players will swarm to new zones comes from. My understanding of how this whole node thing is going to work, (and I may be wrong) is that you are not going to have low, medium, and high level zones. Think of it more like Witcher 3, with a mixed level of mobs spread all over a zone. You may be just owning a tribe of goblins, kill them all and run around a bend in the road right into a group of trolls 10 levels higher than you, or a challenge that may kill even a "max level" player. As nodes level new mobs will be released, but they have never said that there will be a level progression to them, just that the terrain will change in certain ways. Maybe they have a master plan up their sleeve, but how a themepark mmo, and a themebox mmo function as to zones may surprise us all. The map will be set, but what is located where for content will be constantly shifting. If they added a new continent as DLC for example, they would start out as level 0 nodes and have to be leveled like the rest, unless they decide to throw out a core mechanic and themepark a DLC.
  • @Diura I just don't get where this idea that max level players will swarm to new zones comes from. My understanding of how this whole node thing is going to work, (and I may be wrong) is that you are not going to have low, medium, and high level zones. Think of it more like Witcher 3, with a mixed level of mobs spread all over a zone. You may be just owning a tribe of goblins, kill them all and run around a bend in the road right into a group of trolls 10 levels higher than you, or a challenge that may kill even a "max level" player. As nodes level new mobs will be released, but they have never said that there will be a level progression to them, just that the terrain will change in certain ways. Maybe they have a master plan up their sleeve, but how a themepark mmo, and a themebox mmo function as to zones may surprise us all. The map will be set, but what is located where for content will be constantly shifting. If they added a new continent as DLC for example, they would start out as level 0 nodes and have to be leveled like the rest, unless they decide to throw out a core mechanic and themepark a DLC.
    Sorry I was referring to WoW expansions as the OP mentioed WoW ^^ In previous games I have personally played when new areas come out (with dlc/expansion)it doesn't tie in with the old world.
    You're right by how the Ashes mechanics work so levelling and mob scales with Node levels. IF new zones were to be added it would just be an extension for new Nodes/Resources - so providing that those resources are not "new better gear is coming out you need these resources" so everyone goes to those Nodes, then that is fine.
    However I'm sure Intrepid had mentioned in a stream that adding zones are not their intention (for now anyway) and that new content will be there to spice up the world we already have :)
  • I hear you on the WOW thing. The racist Pandapocalypse was the last straw for me. Stopped playing before it came out, went back last year for a couple months for Legion, and never touching it again.
  • It would be nice for an MMO to actually release DLC that caters to everyone, not just high end players, this would stop areas "dying" as higher levelled players move on.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    It would be nice for an MMO to actually release DLC that caters to everyone, not just high end players, this would stop areas "dying" as higher levelled players move on.
    I think you are still under the impression that Ashes will be a themepark vs a themebox. Character migration does NOT consist of level dependent "zones" where once you have done all the quests for your level in that area you move on to the next. The way it has been explained in multiple Q&As is that content appears and disappears depending on node development. Every single server will be separate and unique as to what content appears where, and at what time. Just because a node has progressed to say level 4 does not mean that there will not be low level content available. You may be owning that tribe of goblins, run around a bend in the road into a pack of undead 10 levels higher than you, or something that will smack the hell out even the best solo geared max level player. "DLC" will be free and frequent. Monthly small updates with larger quarterly updates is the stated plan. Whether they can keep to that punishing schedule remains to be seen. But do not expect to see "Today for 19.99 buy our new continent of Boulderdash, bringing high level raids and dungeons for those of you at endgame." Endgame is a dirty word with the developers. So throw your misconceptions from other mmos aside, and ride the hype train to Joyville.