Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Vulkan support?

Will Ashes of Creation have Vulkan Api support? for those of us with AMD cards it would be nice FPS boost I read something about Unreal 4 supporting Vulkan so I just want to confirm with you guys.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    i remember someone (not sure if it was intrepid or a community member asking about it)  mentioning it before, but with the search bar out of action atm i cant find it atm :disappointed: but once that's fixed ill find it and pass it on :) 

• Here is a link read all about it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)
  • Good luck with getting support for that @Markidak. For a second I thought you just wanted someone to end all their phone calls and emails with a "Live long and Prosper".
    edited July 2017
    Vulkan is not just about off loading graphics processing but utilising and merging mutiple cores from multiple devices.
    Its the next stage of OpenCL and OpenGL.
    DX12 without the Microsoft issues
    Many cards will not support it
  • Vulkan is not just about off loading graphics processing but utilising and merging mutiple cores from multiple devices.
    Its the next stage of OpenCL and OpenGL.
    DX12 without the Microsoft issues
    Many cards will not support it
    I have no idea what are you talking about it's just another api just like you said it's another type of DX12 or OpenGl and so on and so on I play Doom on Vulkan people that bought RX 400 series and above have cards that can run Vulkan that's the end of it. When you have that requirement checked it's only up to devs whether they want to put effort into making the game run on Vulkan.
  • Here is a link read all about it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)
    Whate are you getting at? I just read that Unreal engine 4 supports Vulkan, AoC is made with Unreal4 so Im just asking whether devs decide to make Vulkan available.
  • Kratz said:
    Good luck with getting support for that @Markidak. For a second I thought you just wanted someone to end all their phone calls and emails with a "Live long and Prosper".
    I don't think Vulkan is much of a problem, they got good funding quite a lot of backers. for example new Doom made game playing on Vulkan possible AFTER the launch with a patch. AoC could be the same - just add it after they establish succesful launch and smooth flow fix important stuff that'll come up at launch (they always do)
    edited September 2017
    The focus at this time has been on Windows. They have stated there maybe expansion work to include additional OS support down the road but not something targeted for launch. In terms of API's I am not aware of plans to add those to scope at this time.
    edited October 2017
    The highest value of Vulcan would be that it works on Windows 7 as well, unlike DX12 that works only on windows 10.

Checking statistics on web most gamers are staying with windows 7 due to windows 10 privacy issues (and other issues, but mostly privacy).

Having Ashes only available through DX12 might significantly limit future game population (enormous number of gamers will avoid windows 10 permanently).

Additionally (just as an extra) Vulcan is multi platform, so would open a lots of extra doors for the future.

All that being said, the most important issue here is making Ashes able to run on Windows 7. So if there will be no Vulcan support, I hope Ashes will at least be able to run through DX11 (for Windows 7 compatibility).
  • Gothix said:
    Checking statistics on web most gamers are staying with windows 7 due to windows 10 privacy issues (and other issues, but mostly privacy).

Having Ashes only available through DX12 might significantly limit future game population (enormous number of gamers will avoid windows 10 permanently).
    Me, specifically.

The official AMD Vulkan drivers for Linux are due to be released before xmas. That makes me hopeful that more developers will support vulkan so I can eventually drop microsoft altogether.
This discussion has been closed.