Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Mounts - The Key to Happiness

Hi,

I am excited to witness Ashes of Creation unfolding.  I have been a gamer since my husband introduced me to MMORPG games over ten ago.  Since then, I have played many different games for brief periods of time and one for ten years now.

One of the key components in a game for me are the mounts.  I love fashion so I always select a mount that not only has amazing stats, but it also has the appearance of matching my current outfit.

Now to hearts greatest desire, I have one request regarding mounts.  I love horses and I love flying mounts, so if you have flying mounts, can you please give us the option to take the look of our favorite steed and have it with wings to fly?  Or lol, give us fairy dust to make it fly?  Anyway, the one thing I have found disappointing in all of the games I have played so far is that the game may have amazing ground mounts, but when they take to the air, the devs create a mount that is not nearly as realistic nor as pretty as the ground mount.

For example, one of the runic stallions, with wings added on would be an amazing flying mount.  Far superior to any of the mounts with wings I have seen pictured so far for AoC.

I know how important mounts may seen superficial to some, but it is an area of importance to me and there were quite a few games I simply quit playing because I just couldn't take the ugly mounts any more.  I love your runic stallions which is the primary reason I pledged in the Kickstarter, but I will be so sad if flying mounts become available at a certain level and I have to downgrade the look of my mount just so I can fly.

By the way, I think it is wonderful that you are giving us a place to share our thoughts as you develop the game.  Kudos to all of the Ashes of Creation Devs for that!

Thank you for listening,

Shakacon

Comments

• So I'm missing one of the pictures but here are some concepts for the mounts ^^

So as you can see the mounts are very high fantasy ^^
    Also Flying will be restricted to the very few - for the kings and queens of nodes and the lucky few that find a rare dragon egg with a time limited mount :)
  • Thank you for the pictures.  Those are interesting mounts, but I do not see  some of the mounts featured in the Kickstarters there, such as the Runic Stallion, Radiant Stallion or Midnight Mare.  I have seen images online for the Runic Stallion, but not the other two.  Would you happen to have pictures of those you could post?

Are the ones you pictured above just the flying mounts or a mixture of both?  I ask because the elephant above appears to be a ground mount only (he definitely doesn't look like dumbo /smile).

The flying dragons look cool, better than any mounts I have seen on most MMORPGs, but it would be nice to have some form of Pegasus or flying horse represented...  You know, a horse that flies is totally a magical creature.

• Shakacon said:

Thank you for the pictures.  Those are interesting mounts, but I do not see  some of the mounts featured in the Kickstarters there, such as the Runic Stallion, Radiant Stallion or Midnight Mare.  I have seen images online for the Runic Stallion, but not the other two.  Would you happen to have pictures of those you could post?

Are the ones you pictured above just the flying mounts or a mixture of both?  I ask because the elephant above appears to be a ground mount only (he definitely doesn't look like dumbo /smile).

The flying dragons look cool, better than any mounts I have seen on most MMORPGs, but it would be nice to have some form of Pegasus or flying horse represented...  You know, a horse that flies is totally a magical creature.

The summer pack icons have yet to be revealed but soon as they are posted we can make sure everyone sees what they mounts etc look like ^^
    Although they have wings I don't think they will fly :) Intrepid are very keen not to have flying as a common feature because Intrepid want players to be exploring the land, and introducing flying will take a lot of the exploration away.
    Pegasus type mounts would be cool but personally not for me xD
  • Mount concepts that have been revealed so far

• @Shakacon keep in mind, ashes is going to have a "crafting" skill of sorts called animal husbandry....you will be able to tame mounts out in the wilds of the game (as far as i understand from what limited info they have let go so far) and then breed them together to get different colors and who knows what else....
  • The concepts for the mounts look great. I see a few that om very interested in just from the silhouettes. As for the "Husbandry" it will be neat to see what come from that.

• Thanks for the cool photos, Lexmax.  They are quite spectacular.

Very true, Gravity and Wizard.  Taming my own mounts or pets would be quite fun.  But I am happy with my runic stallion I already have waiting for me from my kickstarter pledge.  I do so love having a mount from day one. :)  It's just that I enjoy collecting mounts, so I look forward to all of the ways I can get additional mounts. 

• Thank you for the additional information Diura.  I have an additional question about Kings and Queens.  If they are the only ones who can achieve flying mounts, what happens if they are overthrown?  Do they still get to keep their mount as a subtle reminder that they were once a king/queen but have fallen?  Or is that too stripped from them?  Just curious...I personally think it would be more poetic were they allowed to keep their flying mount.
  • That should have been qualified with true flying mounts.
    The Leaders of a metropolis will get a dragon to fly as a symbol of office.
    These leaders are chosen through means appropriate to science, religion, militancy and economics.
    As a symbol of office they come with the job and only the job.

The other flying mounts will be gliders only. They will glide at/near ground level so that they can not be used to bypass combat and gameplay.
  • I watched in a live stream that dragon mounts for kings, queens etc... will be the only mounts that really fly.  If you lose your king or queen ship you lose access to the dragon.  The basic flying mounts that the average player can aquire will just fly a few feet off of the ground
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    @Shakacon I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but no one is getting a mount on day one. The mounts we are getting from kickstarter are actually skins that we can place on mounts we obtain in-game. Backers will have to get a mount the same way as non-backers before we can see our Runic Stallions.
  • Hopefully there will be some pegasus we can temporarily obtain from a big event.
  • Holy Hell, they were sure given a lot of freedom in dreaming stuff up!

Might as well shoot for the moon....can I haz a doomwheel plz?

• They said that we should be able to do a quest quite early in the game to get our first mount.  So, in theory, we could have a mount on day one.
  • T-Elf said:
    They said that we should be able to do a quest quite early in the game to get our first mount.  So, in theory, we could have a mount on day one.
    Really? I guess my ears were turned off when they said that lol. That's cool though. I wonder where and how we get the quest...
  • Zastro said:
    T-Elf said:
    They said that we should be able to do a quest quite early in the game to get our first mount.  So, in theory, we could have a mount on day one.
    Really? I guess my ears were turned off when they said that lol. That's cool though. I wonder where and how we get the quest...
    Send Steven your left nut and he will spill the news.
  • Holy Hell, they were sure given a lot of freedom in dreaming stuff up!

Might as well shoot for the moon....can I haz a doomwheel plz?

come at me skaven 
  •    The True key to Happiness is the ALPHA KEY to Ashes!
  •    The True key to Happiness is the ALPHA KEY to Ashes!
    I agree

• Crymoar said:
    Zastro said:
    T-Elf said:
    Send Steven your left nut and he will spill the news.
    That deal is definitely in my favor! :smiley:
  • :'(  @Zastro,

I am so sad now.  In addition to my kickstarter, I bought the midnight mare as well.  I never realized it was a skin.  I thought I was buying a mount.   Oh, well.  We live and learn.  Thank you for letting me know.

• @Shakacon
    Shouldn't be sad because it's a skin, it means you can apply it to the mounts you get later in the game. If it wasn't a skin, it would quickly become obsolete to the mounts tamers can make and you would never see it again. As it has been said, you will get be given a mount early that you can apply the skin too. You will probably be using those mounts your first day.
  • @Shakacon
    Shouldn't be sad because it's a skin, it means you can apply it to the mounts you get later in the game. If it wasn't a skin, it would quickly become obsolete to the mounts tamers can make and you would never see it again. As it has been said, you will get be given a mount early that you can apply the skin too. You will probably be using those mounts your first day.

I do hope so.  Mounts make a game so much more fun for me.  I love riding a horse around the world as I explore. :)
  • Does anyone know if you can use the same skin multiple times or does it expire after one use?
  • @Shakacon I believe the skins are permanent and can be used over and over
  • @Xontian That is correct :)
  • Well, that's cool.
  • I just finished reading the Q&A on Discord chat by Steven, one of the devs.  He said that we can only use a skin for one character, but that later on we can remove that skin access from that character and give it to another character. 

So, you cannot have two characters with your Runic stallion skin on your mount, but you can switch it back and forth between them.

I guess that also means that even if someone steals your mount from you, they cannot still the actual skin.  Does anyone know for sure if someone can steal your mount from you?  I know they can steal supplies because I read that in Discord.

• Shakacon said:
    Does anyone know if you can use the same skin multiple times or does it expire after one use?
    The skin is account bound but can only be used on one character at a time.
  • Shakacon said:

I just finished reading the Q&A on Discord chat by Steven, one of the devs.  He said that we can only use a skin for one character, but that later on we can remove that skin access from that character and give it to another character. 

So, you cannot have two characters with your Runic stallion skin on your mount, but you can switch it back and forth between them.

I guess that also means that even if someone steals your mount from you, they cannot still the actual skin.  Does anyone know for sure if someone can steal your mount from you?  I know they can steal supplies because I read that in Discord.

I don't think it has been said whether or not you can still someone's mount. I wouldn't think you would, but who knows.