Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Why is the SCC over so soon?

I just learned of this game and was quite disappointed to see that the Summer CC was already over and I cannot give them my money. We still have 2 more months of summer. What's up with that? It seems counter intuitive to end a crowdfunding event so quickly since you are not tied to the Kickstarter rules anymore.  

At least update the shop so it doesn't look like you can buy a package anymore. 

Comments

• Sorry you missed out :( The summer crowdfunding was an extension to the Kickstarter campaign for those with payment methods that were not supported by KS. It was only intended to be a short term measure. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    I suppose but it's still counter intuitive since the whole goal of crowdfunding is to get funds from the crowd. Kind of silly to stop allowing the crowd to continue giving you funds. 
  • teaiewold said:
    I suppose but it's still counter intuitive since the whole goal of crowdfunding is to get funds from the crowd. Kind of silly to stop allowing the crowd to keep giving you funds. 
    The goal for the scc was not to get funds. It was to give the kickstarters that didn't have paypal a way to back the game. The kickstarter did give them over 3 million in funds, and scc was a short extension of it.
  • Indeed. I see your point. I thought I had donated to the kickstarter until yesterday. Then I realized the bank had blocked the money from being released. (Shows how much I check my email) so it is my fault, but damn. What a bummer. I guess I won't get to play until 2020, unless I win a key or they decide to extend the summer crowd funding.
  • teaiewold said:
    I suppose but it's still counter intuitive since the whole goal of crowdfunding is to get funds from the crowd. Kind of silly to stop allowing the crowd to keep giving you funds. 
    The goal for the scc was not to get funds. It was to give the kickstarters that didn't have paypal a way to back the game. The kickstarter did give them over 3 million in funds, and scc was a short extension of it.
    You are deluding yourself if you don't think the goal of the SCC was to get more funds. 
  • teaiewold said:
    teaiewold said:
    You are deluding yourself if you don't think the goal of the SCC was to get more funds. 
    Actually IS did officially state that the focus of the Summer Sale was to do as @TheCouchNerd has stated. That being said, I do not think that this will be the last sale we see. But, we shall see =)
  • Belewyn said:
    teaiewold said:
    teaiewold said:
    Actually IS did officially state that the focus of the Summer Sale was to do as @TheCouchNerd has stated. That being said, I do not think that this will be the last sale we see. But, we shall see =)
    By accommodating more people to purchase a package you inherently increase the objective of the original Kickstarter goal which was to acquire funding. They can sell it however they want, but it still boils down to acquiring more funds by being able to accommodate more people. That's why it's stupid that they've already stopped selling packages. Just change the rewards and ensure those that purchased packages earlier got the best deals.  
  • Belewyn said:
    teaiewold said:
    teaiewold said:
    I hope you're right. It would make sense to give the people who hear about the game between now and release an option to support the game.
  • teaiewold said:
    Belewyn said:
    teaiewold said:
    teaiewold said:
    By accommodating more people to purchase a package you inherently increase the objective of the original Kickstarter goal which was to acquire funding. They can sell it however they want, but it still boils down to acquiring more funds by being able to accommodate more people. That's why it's stupid that they've already stopped selling packages. Just change the rewards and ensure those that purchased packages earlier got the best deals.  

edited July 2017
    Tarlach said:
    teaiewold said:
    Belewyn said:
    teaiewold said:
    teaiewold said:

Thank you for the overly misused meme that does not apply to my post in any way. It contributed greatly to the discussion.
  • @teaiewold Thank you for making a post complaining because you missed a window that was meant for people that had problems with payment on kickstarter. I understand it is unfortunate but you just won't let it go no matter what people say to you. It reaches a point that this is no longer a discussion and instead its just you complaining.
  • Tarlach said:
    @teaiewold Thank you for making a post complaining because you missed a window that was meant for people that had problems with payment on kickstarter. I understand it is unfortunate but you just won't let it go no matter what people say to you. It reaches a point that this is no longer a discussion and instead its just you complaining.
    Your first response makes perfect sense now, you have terrible reading comprehension. I haven't complained at all. I posed a simple question in my original post and voiced my opinion in subsequent responses. The only people that are unfortunate is Intrepid Studios because they are not allowing people to give them money. I don't care about the skins/rewards as I was only going to purchase the smallest package because this seems like it might be a badass game one day and wanted to support it.
  • teaiewold said:
    This is not necessarily accurate.

I'm sure you are aware that Intrepid Studios was founded prior to the kickstarter. I'm sure you also know that MMOs take more than 3 million dollars to fund development.

These kickstarters are in place to show market interest to secure capitol from other sources, the revenue generated from new backers alone is not sufficient to fund the company.

Because of this, it is not necessarily beneficial to continue to run funding, in fact it can hurt the company. Showing a 3 million dollar kickstarter will wow an investor, but a year later, if the rate of new backers tapers significantly (which it would seeing as the game won't be released) that data can turn off investors.

The only time it makes sense to continue crowd funding is if the company is absolutely positive that they will not need additional funding down the road. And yes I know that statement seems counter intuitive.
  • Johndoe said:
    teaiewold said:

I'm sure you are aware that Intrepid Studios was founded prior to the kickstarter. I'm sure you also know that MMOs take more than 3 million dollars to fund development.

These kickstarters are in place to show market interest to secure capitol from other sources, the revenue generated from new backers alone is not sufficient to fund the company.

Because of this, it is not necessarily beneficial to continue to run funding, in fact it can hurt the company. Showing a 3 million dollar kickstarter will wow an investor, but a year later, if the rate of new backers tapers significantly (which it would seeing as the game won't be released) that data can turn off investors.

The only time it makes sense to continue crowd funding is if the company is absolutely positive that they will not need additional funding down the road. And yes I know that statement seems counter intuitive.
    But my statement can be accurate. Only IS can explain it either way.

Yes I'm aware IS was founded prior to the KS. In fact most companies are founded before they can even do a KS. I also know the core game is supposedly already funded but they did the KS to generate more funds to provide more features. 

It can absolutely be beneficial to continue to run crowdfunding as proven by RSI and Artcraft. They continued to have packages available after their KS and are doing quite well with crowdfunding.

• I understand your frustration at not being able to back at this time. There will definitely be "Founder packages" available closer to launch once they set a date for that. The reason why the Kickstarter was for a set length was to avoid the perception of the game being an endless cash grab. If you are familiar with Star Citizen and the endless fundraising machine that has become this is what they want to avoid as a reputation. The Summer backing came with its own set of problems that split the community and caused unnecessary grief and salty tears. I am sure that they are more than happy that the whole debacle it was has now ended.

• I am not familiar with Artcraft, but like I said, it has to be clear that you will not need to go back to an investor. Starcitizen exceeded their initial estimates by a lot, and it became clear that the entire project could be funded directly through crowd funding. If the devs aren't at that turning point, then continuing funding may not be wise.

Neither of us know the situation at IS, I'm just saying that in the majority of large scale projects like this, the kickstarter isn't there to directly fund the game. Even in the cases where it worked such as Starcitizen, that was not the initial goal.
  • Towards the end of this article, http://www.zam.com/article/1449/a-chat-with-ashes-of-creations-steven-sharif, it is stated that the development costs are estimated to be $30 million. The kickstarter was intended as a community building/marketing thing.
  • Belewyn said:
    teaiewold said:
    teaiewold said:
  • The original Kickstarter goal was to acquire funding to add features that they felt they would not be able to get in before launch. As put out before, the base 30 million had already been raised, and they were looking for just 750k to fund those features. They achieved 4-5 times that. The promises that were made of a short term, fund now and get these "exclusive" items that will never be available again was met, albeit with the glitch of having to extend the funding for an extra month to accommodate what turned out to be a very vocal minority of people venting that they didn't have the option to back from their country via Paypal. You will see packages further down the line as the game nears release. So if your goal is to support the game, keep checking back, and eventually you will get an option.
    edited July 2017
    teaiewold said:
    Johndoe said:
    teaiewold said:

But my statement can be accurate. Only IS can explain it either way.

Yes I'm aware IS was founded prior to the KS. In fact most companies are founded before they can even do a KS. I also know the core game is supposedly already funded but they did the KS to generate more funds to provide more features. 

It can absolutely be beneficial to continue to run crowdfunding as proven by RSI and Artcraft. They continued to have packages available after their KS and are doing quite well with crowdfunding.

Both RSI and Artcraft are also very critised about their amazing cashgrab technologies :P  ... nothing better to hate than companies that say "we need this and this" ad then continue to non-stop make more and more to make a game in way to many years that will end up like no-mans-sky.
    And yes, i have played versions of both crowfall as well as star citizen for as far as those are developed/available yet ... and yes, did not pay even a cent to them and looking at what they have promised and what they have so far i doubt i ever will.
    My guess for those games would be "hyped for a month of 2 after release and then slowly down the drain it is :P" ending up with only people playing simply because they want to get at least something out of their investments.
    Quite surprised they havent done a second and third Kickstarter yet over there ;D
  • I just checked starcitizen. Up to 155 million.
  • I also wish they would have some type of extra kickstarter or something. I did not know this game existed until just a few days ago. Would have gladly thrown them a few hundred for this project.