Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Freehold vs City Living?

Hello everyone,

My thought today was in regards to living in a built up metropolis as opposed to a remote freehold. I absolutely love the idea of settling a piece of land at the furthest reaches of a nodes zone of influence and doing my own thing. Does anyone know whether or not you will be at a disadvantage to those who say, live in an apartment? I know if you get in on the ground level of a node you can sell your manor for a ton of money but aside from that...? I hope living off the beaten path can be as rewarding as having a mansion. Thoughts everyone? 

Thanks!

Comments

• Hmm well it's down to player choice and both have risk/reward elements. Living far away from the centre of a node obviously means your far away from all the amenities so have to travel, but also means you have more space and it's cheaper to live on the outskirts. Living in a city means your close to all the amenities and can potentially make good money off of the property value on resale if the Nodes upgrades ^^ disadvantages is that your restricted to space and if you can't keep up rent prices on some of the properties you'll lose your home.
    Once we learn more about the housing we will learn more about the advantages and disadvantages ^^
  • Disadvantage? Theres no info regarding that at this time but you can theorize a bit; say youre doing a trade run to your home for supplies but your home isnt near a city, its out in the middle of nowhere you dont have the saftey of numbers.
    Someone asked a question regarding freeholds; Can they be attacked? Intrepid answered "you can lock the door:we are still discussing this."
    Freeholds are more for those who want to live off the land kinda deal it seems, its probably not nearly as safe as in city housing.

• I would say an advantage to having a Freehold is that, if you are gatherer, you don't have to go as far to empty your inventory because you can store stuff at your Freehold. Also, you can have secret ritual gatherings on your land away from prying eyes...
  • I think you can have both a house / apartment and a freehold?  Best of both worlds if you can swing it.
  • Crymoar said:
    I think you can have both a house / apartment and a freehold?  Best of both worlds if you can swing it.
    I am fairly certain you are correct. I do recall Intrepid saying that 
  • Zastro said:
    Crymoar said:
    I think you can have both a house / apartment and a freehold?  Best of both worlds if you can swing it.
    I am fairly certain you are correct. I do recall Intrepid saying that 
    Yep, been confirmed a few times. One house in the city, one instanced apartment, and a freehold.

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    It looks like, in a lot of ways, there actually may be more advantages to Freeholds than in-node housing -- though of course I suppose that's dependent on what your goals will be for the game. So for those more interested in the gathering/crafting and "living off the land" aspect previously mentioned, it seems more appealing. There's a ton of information about them on the AOC Wiki, and it appears the devs have answered more questions about Freeholds than any other kind of housing so far.

(Edited because I can't spell, apparently)
  • (I think the forums ate my original reply to this, so I apologize if it shows up more than once.)

With the information that's been released to date, it seems like there might be more advantages to Freehold housing than in-node -- depending, of course, on what your goals are for the game. For those more focused on the gathering/crafting and "living off the land" style mentioned previously, investing more resources into Freeholds will probably be the way to go. There's a ton of information about it on the AOC Wiki Housing page, and it appears the devs have talked mostly about the Freeholds so far.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    You can have a freehold and player housing in a node, so you can do both if you want. See what works best for you. You can also have your freehold in a different node to your other housing if you want. The game gives you choices to suit your playstyle :)
  • I was thinking you can have housing / freeholds in as many nodes as you want BUT can only be a citizen of ONE node.......
  • Crymoar said:
    I was thinking you can have housing / freeholds in as many nodes as you want BUT can only be a citizen of ONE node.......
    Yes you can have one of each housing type but you may only be citizen of one node (video link).
  • It looks like, in a lot of ways, there actually may be more advantages to Freeholds than in-node housing -- though of course I suppose that's dependent on what your goals will be for the game. So for those more interested in the gathering/crafting and "living off the land" aspect previously mentioned, it seems more appealing. There's a ton of information about them on the AOC Wiki, and it seems the devs have answered more questions about Freeholds than any other kind of housing so far.
  • (I think the forums ate my original reply to this, so I apologize if it shows up more than once.)

With the information that's been released to date, it seems like there might be more advantages to Freehold housing than in-node -- depending, of course, on what your goals are for the game. For those more focused on the gathering/crafting and "living off the land" style mentioned previously, investing resources into Freeholds will probably be the way to go. There's a ton of information about it on the AOC Wiki Housing page, and it appears the devs have talked mostly about the Freeholds so far.
  • It looks like, in a lot of ways, there actually may be more advantages to Freeholds than in-node housing -- though of course I suppose that's dependent on what your goals will be for the game. So for those more interested in the gathering/crafting and "living off the land" aspect previously mentioned, it seems more appealing. There's a ton of information about them on the AOC Wiki, and it seems the devs have answered more questions about Freeholds than any other kind of housing so far.

With the information that's been released to date, it seems like there might be more advantages to Freehold housing than in-node -- depending, of course, on what your goals are for the game. For those more focused on the gathering/crafting and "living off the land" style mentioned previously, investing resources into Freeholds will probably be the way to go. There's a ton of information about it on the AOC Wiki Housing page, and it appears the devs have talked mostly about the Freeholds so far.
  • I'll have a nice mountain escape for my guildies and sister wives @Karthos and @tugowar
  • But will I be able to hire some npc guards to help protect my freehold when offline etc? Will there be freelance grunts I can hire or agencies of npc's or is it going to have to be up to individual players?
  • Npc guards for hire is confirmed. The only way your freehold can be attacked is if the controlling node has lost a siege. The mechanics for declaring sieges would give you at least 3 days notice before one would commence. (Freeholds require level 3 node, thus 3 day minimum notice, add a day per level.) The siege lasts for 2 hours. If successful, node delevels, and freeholds in the nodes ZOI are attackable for 2 hours. If the siege fails, nothing happens. Odds are hiring npc guards would be a waste of time, because any group that was able to take down your node that is bent on freehold sacking would roll over them fairly easily. Once the siege is over, it goes into a cooldown 10x the declaration time. In this example, 30 days. That gives the defenders time to decide to rebuild the node, or give up against overwhelming aggression and move on. Also realize that declaring a siege as an attacker has been stated to cost similar amounts of resources to what it took to level the node in the first place, so don't expect to see groups just doing it for shits and giggles as it will cost a pretty penny and take a coordinated effort to bring down a node, increasing in difficulty the higher it is.
  • Opening up a tavern on the long road is too much of a magical idea for me to say no too.
    The Cow and Corset, all welcome!
    *Cow's in corsets not actually included.*