Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Combat system: Close combat

Does anyone know how the combat system works? with that i refer to melee/close combat animation and hotkey-use. will there be like a ability system where the different abilities are assigned to different hotkeys like "1,2,3..." or will there be more like the fighting system in the T.E.S series where you use the mouse buttons? will there be depth and flow in the fighting animation like the melee combat-system in Dragon's Dogma? or will it be fast-paced fighting?

Thank you for taking your time reading and (maybe) clearing this up!

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    So far we know that combat will be cross tab target/action ^^ This will make more sense when PAX starts on the 1st-4th September as combat will be shown and be played by attendees at PAX.

Here is what to expect from the combat at PAX which will reflect what we may expect in game http://www.ashesofcreation-the-odyssey.com/2017/07/pax-available-classes-and-skills.html

Ofcourse everything is subject to change because we are in pre alpha :3 
    PAX also doesn't have many features such as the secondary archetypes but will give us an idea of how the combat will play like :3

1 KEYSTROKE SKILL: A keystroke time frame combat system that activates based off your weapon use. Every player will have a weapon which generates keystroke energy. The weapon will influence the total damage you do, other conditions and stats associated with weapon type. One of the most integral parts of having a weapon is your WEAPON USE ABILITY and that weapon use ability contains within it a keystroke driven/ precision type combat that then allocates energy to the ability to use a certain ultimate skill that your class is going to have.These are to take place of a boring auto attacks. You do not have to do keystrokes - you can just auto the attack but the keystroke allows you to generate energy for an ultimate skill.

1 ULTIMATE SKILL: Special skill determined by weapon type that can be activated by enough energy accumulated from KEYSTROKE. Skills will be “enough time” so when used strategically can “turn the tide” and be game changing.

1 UTILITY SKILL: Each class has a utility skill that isn’t necessarily dependent on a combat situation. Utility skills grant the player the ability to interact with their environment and hazards that may exist within that environment. A unique way to gather information about the world that another player may not be able to do.  Utility skills are NOT spammable so will need to be strategically used because they will have cool-downs.

5 ARCHEYTYPE MAIN ABILITIES: Standard 5 class skills (which can be augmented with a secondary archetype but not at PAX (only primary archetypes at PAX)

Before I forget aswell - cross skill combos with other classes-players  will be a huge part of of the combat :) To utilise the best of the combat system would be to understand each set of class skills and plan that into your own characters actions to ensure the best chain of effects/damage/heals/CC etc ^^

• @Diura Thank you for clearing things up!
  • Does anyone know how the combat system works? with that i refer to melee/close combat animation and hotkey-use. will there be like a ability system where the different abilities are assigned to different hotkeys like "1,2,3..." or will there be more like the fighting system in the T.E.S series where you use the mouse buttons? will there be depth and flow in the fighting animation like the melee combat-system in Dragon's Dogma? or will it be fast-paced fighting?

Thank you for taking your time reading and (maybe) clearing this up!
  • Think WoW. hotkeys and no fancy animation system. 
  • Diura said:
    So far we know that combat will be cross tab target/action ^^ This will make more sense when PAX starts on the 1st-4th September as combat will be shown and be played by attendees at PAX.

Here is what to expect from the combat at PAX which will reflect what we may expect in game http://www.ashesofcreation-the-odyssey.com/2017/07/pax-available-classes-and-skills.html

Ofcourse everything is subject to change because we are in pre alpha :3 
    PAX also doesn't have many features such as the secondary archetypes but will give us an idea of how the combat will play like :3

1 KEYSTROKE SKILL: A keystroke time frame combat system that activates based off your weapon use. Every player will have a weapon which generates keystroke energy. The weapon will influence the total damage you do, other conditions and stats associated with weapon type. One of the most integral parts of having a weapon is your WEAPON USE ABILITY and that weapon use ability contains within it a keystroke driven/ precision type combat that then allocates energy to the ability to use a certain ultimate skill that your class is going to have.These are to take place of a boring auto attacks. You do not have to do keystrokes - you can just auto the attack but the keystroke allows you to generate energy for an ultimate skill.

1 ULTIMATE SKILL: Special skill determined by weapon type that can be activated by enough energy accumulated from KEYSTROKE. Skills will be “enough time” so when used strategically can “turn the tide” and be game changing.

1 UTILITY SKILL: Each class has a utility skill that isn’t necessarily dependent on a combat situation. Utility skills grant the player the ability to interact with their environment and hazards that may exist within that environment. A unique way to gather information about the world that another player may not be able to do.  Utility skills are NOT spammable so will need to be strategically used because they will have cool-downs.

5 ARCHEYTYPE MAIN ABILITIES: Standard 5 class skills (which can be augmented with a secondary archetype but not at PAX (only primary archetypes at PAX)

Before I forget aswell - cross skill combos with other classes-players  will be a huge part of of the combat :) To utilise the best of the combat system would be to understand each set of class skills and plan that into your own characters actions to ensure the best chain of effects/damage/heals/CC etc ^^

Wait is this really confirmed?? "Before I forget aswell - cross skill combos with other classes". 
    I have tried asking about this several Times. Nothing Wood make me happier!!

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    holk said:

Wait is this really confirmed?? "Before I forget aswell - cross skill combos with other classes". 
    I have tried asking about this several Times. Nothing Wood make me happier!!

I don't think classes can use their abilities together to get bonus effects. When they were speaking about this they were talking about classes using cc abilities to set up other classes to do damage like how you combo ults in games like overwatch.