Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

To Fly ... or Not to Fly? Who gets a Dragon.

With so many folks wishing to weigh in on this via the following thread, I have decided to create a Poll:

Comments

• FIrst
  • It's not going to be some sort of OP thing. Just a status mount. 

• or how about no..
  • It seems very similar to the system that Lineage 2 had. Just the king or queen of the castle had the flying mount. It was not OP at all, and it was mostly used for spying on and scouting areas. Sometimes before a siege you would see the dragon fly over checking out the landscape, but besides that it was just a status symbol. 

Even though it may be cool, I doubt very much they'll be Game of Thrones type dragons.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017

Congratulations! You killed the world boss! Your brand new dragon pet mount is the one on the right. :blush:
  • woops voted for the wrong one and should have read it all :dizzy: LET IT BE SUPER RARE!
  • While i really enjoy gliding and the freedom it brings in GW2, this is a different kind of game. 
    I just don't think flying would work on mass (taking into account caravans etc.), nor is it in the dev's vision going forward.

• I agree with what Intrepid is trying to do with flying mounts. This game is built and destroyed by the community of the server. Those who step up to the plate and are able to keep a measure of stability around them are some of the most unsung heroes of any game.  Kings/Queens of castles (Guild Leaders) and Node leaders do a lot of things behind the scenes that go unnoticed. Being rewarded with something that sets them apart from other players, other than titles, without it breaking the game is a good thing. 
  • Why can't Mythical Creatures remain that way ? There are many kinds of Dragons too I'm still wondering why in the he!! would a Dragon let you ride him/ her in the 1st place ?

( calm you t!ts furries ... not " that " kind of ride >~> )

In short, Flying should not be Extremely Rare ... it should be " Mythically Rare ". 
    ( at least Extraordinarily Rare ).

The Closest thing to " Flying " should something similar to: 
    • Gliding. Later on, the Pace would slightly get faster/ intense. But it'll be heavily controlled if able to be use in Combat ( visualize Anime )
    edited August 2017
    I picked keep it how intrepid has designed it. But I wouldn't care if they got excluded altogether.
    edited August 2017
    As a person who got a job irl and plays on the evening only, I dont mind if someone who can put more time and effort into the game gets a dragon and flies with it. 
  • I'm really happy the way it is. I prefer it when dragons are actually going to make my draw drop when I see one ^^

• "You have to work to get that"
    "I want it but I don't want to work for that so change it now!"

May be harsh to say it like that, but that's how it appears to me. We have 2 years to prepare for it, everyone can get it.
    edited August 2017
    I dont object to such rare status mounts in game.
    I dont object to them being OP either.

My main problem is that it is a reward for those that ensure social cohesion. Those that try to build communities, rather than reward those who wish to destroy them.
    In other words they are earnt via community endeavour....not personal grinding....not personal gold....not a cash shop. But popularity. Those people that are the most loved on the server get the leadership and the dragons. And they are taken away from those that fall from grace.

I look at it like a carrot and stick approach. Antisocial behaviour gets the stick or corruption and all that comes with it. Prosocial behaviour gets the carrot...the perks that come with civilisation.

This is not supposed to be an anti social game. But there will be disagreements about a groups future and sometimes irreconcilable ones. So conflict is inevitable.
  • Rune_Relic said:
    In other words they are earnt via community endeavour....not personal grinding....not personal gold....not a cash shop. But popularity.
    Leading a siege is not a personal grind? Being able to lead in a huge pvp battle is no personal skill? I'm sorry but you might want to clarify your standpoint. Even popularity isn't just given, it is worked for. Differently than let's say in-game gold, but nonetheless is work and hours behind it.
    Merchant cities (the positions inside) are bought, meaning you need to get that gold somehow.
    Military nodes are probably a free far all fight for positions, people that want to destroy have a good chance to sit in a position to do so there.
    Conflict is a driving factor in this game, that in guild drama might split up a Guild in power just means there is a better chance for someone else to take over.
    edited August 2017
    Grisu said:
    Rune_Relic said:
    In other words they are earnt via community endeavour....not personal grinding....not personal gold....not a cash shop. But popularity.
    Leading a siege is not a personal grind? Being able to lead in a huge pvp battle is no personal skill? I'm sorry but you might want to clarify your standpoint. Even popularity isn't just given, it is worked for. Differently than let's say in-game gold, but nonetheless is work and hours behind it.
    Merchant cities (the positions inside) are bought, meaning you need to get that gold somehow.
    Military nodes are probably a free far all fight for positions, people that want to destroy have a good chance to sit in a position to do so there.
    Conflict is a driving factor in this game, that in guild drama might split up a Guild in power just means there is a better chance for someone else to take over.
    So If I choose to spend my time crafting rather than climbing a social ladder I never get access to a rare dragon ?

How I spend my time should be 100% irrelevant. What should be relevant is how much time I spend devoted to helping the community. Your time is spent doing it the way you prefer....my time is spent doing it the way I prefer.

Or are we trying to say only a few have the right to battle for leadership in a miltiary node ? Only a few have the right to earn their way to leadership in an economic node ? Only a few have the right to be voted to leadership in a scientific node ? Only a few have the right to serve their way to illumination in a religious node ? ...AND THEY MUST BE GUILD LEADERS!

Tell me @Grisu do you serve your members or lead you guild ?
    Theres a big difference between the two.
  • ...AND THEY MUST BE GUILD LEADERS!

Guild castles which will provide 5 dragons are guild based mechanics.
    Node mayors or <insert title> are not chosen by a guild and each node type has a different mechanic.
    Military...smack dat ass at pvp. Once a month arena top for that node gets to be mayor.
    Economic...outbid all others. If you have more scratch than everyone else, you get to buy your dragon.
    Scientific...be popular. Does that mean that people in a guild could band together to elevate their grand poobah to mayor? Maybe. Just be more popular than that guy.
    Religious. be better at grinding service oriented quests and tithing than everyone else. Person with the highest piety gets to be mayor.

Want a dragon? You are not limited by a guild, it will just be harder for you to do it. Since on a max pop server there will only be 10 awarded dragons at a time (not counting rare, timed egg drops) you may too be part of the .001 percent that gets to experience the joy of flight for that month.
    edited August 2017
    ...AND THEY MUST BE GUILD LEADERS!

Guild castles which will provide 5 dragons are guild based mechanics.
    Node mayors or <insert title> are not chosen by a guild and each node type has a different mechanic.
    Military...smack dat ass at pvp. Once a month arena top for that node gets to be mayor.
    Economic...outbid all others. If you have more scratch than everyone else, you get to buy your dragon.
    Scientific...be popular. Does that mean that people in a guild could band together to elevate their grand poobah to mayor? Maybe. Just be more popular than that guy.
    Religious. be better at grinding service oriented quests and tithing than everyone else. Person with the highest piety gets to be mayor.

Want a dragon? You are not limited by a guild, it will just be harder for you to do it. Since on a max pop server there will only be 10 awarded dragons at a time (not counting rare, timed egg drops) you may too be part of the .001 percent that gets to experience the joy of flight for that month.
    @UnknownSystemError I think that was the point of @Gothix comment and me aggreeing with him.
    Node leaders I can agree would probably have earned a dragon. But its a symbol of office and not a personal pet.
    Guild leaders ? Maybe a far inferior one if any.
  • Ack...I agreed with gothix, must now begin purification ritual!!
    Image result for self flagellation meme
    edited August 2017
    Everyone should be able to fly but I believe you got to work for it plus who wouldn't want to fly across the lands of AoC while waving at their friends and foes on the ground from above as you pass them on your very own Charizard mount? I know I would.
    edited August 2017
    @Rune_Relic I just showed you that there are several ways to get to the dragon and you still act as if it's the only way to be a guild leader. Being a guild leader has nothing to do with being a node major (even tho you just said you know that, why so ever you need to use false information is beyond me).
    Your aggressive tone based on lacking/ using false information to try and make an invalid point doesn't help anyone and it certainly doesn't help being popular. : 3

I don't agree with your opinion playing down the role of a guild leader and the work involved to conquer a castle.
    Those people are the ones >>usually<< doing the most work and extra research to ensure everything works. They are the most active. Maybe your experience differs, but that's how I have seen it in most games I have played.
    Guilds are formed in different ways, some only have a guild leader because that's how the in game structure works, but those won't have a problem to give the lead to the person they feel will make the best use of a dragon.
    Others "have" a guild leader because that's the person that brought them together. That's the person they look up too for various reasons admire and look to when they don't know what to do. I could go on for a while, but I have a feeling it is no use anyway.

I also disagree that it should be irrelevant how you spend your time. If you want to be a professional chemist you have to spend your time learning about chemistry and related fields and not play football with the majority of your time.
    If you want to be the richest person on the server you are not going to use most of your time idling around doing pvp tournaments for glory and ranking.
    You set a goal and have to dedicate time for it. It's a simple and basic concept.

If you want that dragon, choose a path and work towards it like everyone else.
  • And if you do end up with a dragon, please try to exercise a little bit of caution if you decide to sent it to fight an army of ice zombies, for example... 

Dragon responsibly people!

• I didn't see the option of "As IS has intended BUT ADD ME".
  • At this point i think they should just drop the whole idea of flying.  Give kings/queens a special dragon that walks around or something else. 

The main issues i have seen are 1. either people hate the idea of flying destroying the feel of zones as well as pvp.  2. They dont like the limited access to dragons by guild leaders and high ranking officials.  I say take flying out of the whole thing.  Then people have to decide if a skin is worth all the moaning.  How about instead kings/queens get an aoe buff they can use once per day that lasts 30mins that gives 2% bonus to damage, item collection, or experience.   Something that shows off hey im the boss i got cool stuff but doesnt make them leagues above others.
    edited August 2017
    Flying mounts will ruin meaning of open world and cannot be added because of that. However flying mounts could glide and consider that way as ground mounts, and maybe flying mounts could be used for specific content designed for them. If ships are going to explore the seas, maybe flying mounts can explore the sky? ;)
    edited August 2017
    Grisu said:
    @Rune_Relic I just showed you that there are several ways to get to the dragon and you still act as if it's the only way to be a guild leader. Being a guild leader has nothing to do with being a node major (even tho you just said you know that, why so ever you need to use false information is beyond me).
    Your aggressive tone based on lacking/ using false information to try and make an invalid point doesn't help anyone and it certainly doesn't help being popular. : 3

I don't agree with your opinion playing down the role of a guild leader and the work involved to conquer a castle.
    Those people are the ones >>usually<< doing the most work and extra research to ensure everything works. They are the most active. Maybe your experience differs, but that's how I have seen it in most games I have played.
    Guilds are formed in different ways, some only have a guild leader because that's how the in game structure works, but those won't have a problem to give the lead to the person they feel will make the best use of a dragon.
    Others "have" a guild leader because that's the person that brought them together. That's the person they look up too for various reasons admire and look to when they don't know what to do. I could go on for a while, but I have a feeling it is no use anyway.

I also disagree that it should be irrelevant how you spend your time. If you want to be a professional chemist you have to spend your time learning about chemistry and related fields and not play football with the majority of your time.
    If you want to be the richest person on the server you are not going to use most of your time idling around doing pvp tournaments for glory and ranking.
    You set a goal and have to dedicate time for it. It's a simple and basic concept.

If you want that dragon, choose a path and work towards it like everyone else.
    My apologies @grisu I should not be aggressive to you of all people. Forgive me for getting irate and off loading on you.

My point is you stand upon the shoulders of your guild members. Without them, you would be nothing and the guild would be nothing. It is their hard work that is just as much responsible for the welfare of the guild as its leaders. You would achieve nothing without them

Having said that, I dont and would never deny that the guild would not be coordinated without the guild leaders. My only point is guild leaders should look down every once in a while when their head is up in the clouds and look at all the players they are standing upon to get there.

And I reiterate my point. YOU would not be a guild leader unless you wanted to be. Hopefully because you enjoy it rather than for more nefarious personal gain than access to all goods, a large coffer of gold or a persona power trip. Assuming you are spending 8 hours performing a role you enjoy for the community, how in anyway way is your efforts more valuable than someone slogging their guts out for 8 hours at a crafting table or slogging through dungeons to gear up the guild ? Hopefully the things they they also happen to love doing.

So like I said. You may have some view that you are high and mighty above everyone else. And thus are entitled to special rewards. I do not. Guild leaders deserve access to dragons no more than the players that make up the guild.
  • As someone who wants to explore more than anything else, I feel like flying would ruin the exploration factor.  If anything, I would love a system where maps were something that had to be discovered, but also be something that other players can sell.

An example would be a portion of the anime Sword Art Online, where characters had to map out the dungeons, then could give it away to others, or sell them... I think that would make exploration relevant even more so!
  • Well, I said felt it coming and here it is. Have fun.
  • Grisu said:
    Well, I said felt it coming and here it is. Have fun.
    Sighs.
    I am trying to attack your stance and demonstrate the reasoning and logic behind why.
    Obviously quite badly.
    Please dont take this a personal affront.
    I know its difficult.
    I know the difference is subtle.

I do like you and pretty much everything you have to say and have said in the past.
    I find your way of thinking pretty flawless.
    We will have to agree to disagree here obviously.
    :)