Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Is the MMO drought finally over?..... Optimistic

Hi Everyone

As this is my first post on the Ashes forum, I'll introduce myself briefly :)
I'm Belazarus, but please call me Bel. I'm the founder and leader of a 500 player social, casual, community focused guild called Alith, which has been going for 7 years. We spent 3 years in Aion, then 2 years in Tera, and are currently based in ESO (for the last 2 years, since launch).
I'm 35 years old from the UK, and I'm passionate about MMO's, having played them since the mid nineties. I'm particularly proud of the amazing community I've built with my management team (AlithESO.com) and always trying to keep my eyes peeled for the next big thing on the MMO scene. I also produce an ESO themed Podcast called Alith-Cast (you can find us on Itunes, YouTube, Twitch etc).

Now that introductions are over, onto what matters, Ashes of Creation!

I have to say, over the last year or so, things have looked pretty bleak on the MMO scene - particularly for us gaming communities who are always looking for the next BIG MMO to whisk us away to another world. The biggest MMO's out there, have been out for a while now (ESO, WoW, BDO, GW2, FF14, EVE, AA, etc etc) and as the years pass, the state of the games change (and often deteriorate).

Now I'm not going to say any of those MMO's are "dying" or "struggling" - but I will say that it feels that it's been a LONG time since something completely NEW & innovative has been revealed on the MMO scene, to really get us all excited. BDO possibly being one of the most recent, but even that game has a lot of restrictions for big gaming communities such as mine.

So when I caught a glimpse of Ashes of Creation this week, it was the first time in a long time that I raised an eyebrow. I realise that this is very very early days, and there is clearly years of development ahead - but the very little that has been shared, is already very promising to me. Apart from the fact that the game "looks" brilliant, considering it's still in early development, alone is exciting - finally an MMO which LOOKS current & modern.

Then I read up on some of the features of the game, and my reaction again was - FINALLY an MMO which is LAUNCHING with a lot of the basic features which all of us MMO gamers come to expect from our MMO's - Player Housing, Mounts, Pets, content for BOTH PvE and PvP players, Trading, Gathering, Crafting systems, large scale PvP, Sandbox, dynamic world, robust class / race system, and some innovative features too (node system, caravans, land ownership, etc).

I mean, come on, this game is in such an early stage, and already there is so much to be excited & optimistic about. I've been disappointed so many times with big MMO's launching, but missing fundamental features, or only introducing them much much later. This game seems determined to raise the bar, by showing other MMO's out there, that these games should be launched WITH all the basics PLUS new innovation. Really, I am impressed so far - and I'm not usually easily impressed haha.

So hence my title of this thread, is the drought finally over? I really hope so, for my sake and my community. I know this game still has a long time to go before it launches, and my community is doing pretty well in our current MMO, but it's fantastic that I have something to keep my eye on for the future :) Oh , and I will be keeping my eye on this.

Really the only 2 biggest aspects which we don't seem to have any info on yet, and I am extremely curious to know more about them - is Player Guild System and the games Lore. Having a robust and fully functional Player Guild system is critical - for all of us gaming communities who would look to make this our next home - so I really hope we get "some" bits of information regarding plans for player guilds. I have a feeling, from what I've read so far, that this game will be rich with Lore and great storylines, so I'm less worried about that since the devs have already stated this is near and dear to their hearts - I'm sure we'll get details on the Lore later on.

Those are my initial thoughts, if any of you actually stuck around long enough to read my ramble, I'm impressed haha.
Overall I'm quite excited and optimistic for this game, I really do hope it's a success and the developers gain the funding they need to make this a reality. I will be hear, watching, contributing, and crossing my fingers & toes that this game turns out to be the amazing product it's aiming to be.

I'd be happy to hear everyone elses thoughts about the current state of the MMO world, and what your hopes, dreams and fears are for Ashes.

A random, friendly guild leader - Bel

Comments

• I would say though, while the environmental pre-alpha video looked impressive (in parts), the pre-alpha combat video was a bit disappointing. I realise that it's very early stages, but the combat in the video looked very stiff and clunky, which doesn't give a great first impression. I'd have probably waited a bit longer to release combat video which would represent the game more positively.
  • I know you!!!! Welcome!
  • Welcome! i hope the drought is finally over as well and Intrepid can breathe some life and some fresh idea's back into the MMO industry.
  • [quote quote=751]I would say though, while the environmental pre-alpha video looked impressive (in parts), the pre-alpha combat video was a bit disappointing. I realise that it’s very early stages, but the combat in the video looked very stiff and clunky, which doesn’t give a great first impression. I’d have probably waited a bit longer to release combat video which would represent the game more positively.

[/quote]

I agree with the combat video not looking up to par and making a relatively negative impression when it comes to overall visuals (especially since the particle effects artist only recently / soon to be hired to revamp this). That being said it's better in a sense to show that "Hey, combat is actually quite far along mechanically. We just need to update the visuals and modernize the UI which is a late in development thing anyway." You could even say it goes an extra step in saying they trust in the community with the idea that they'll share progress on the game warts and all.

Though in the end I do agree as a first impression it wasn't the best. I hope once they have some new particle effects and visual upgrades they can show it off in a new video with the idea of "Hey, look how much we've improved the visuals and fluidity of combat! We're just getting started!" kind of deal.
  • [quote quote=762]I know you!!!! Welcome!

[/quote]

Haha, hi there buddy - we indeed know each other :) Birds of a feather eh?
  • [quote quote=796]<blockquote><div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/is-the-mmo-drought-finally-over-optimistic/#post-751" rel="nofollow">Belazarus wrote:</a></div>
    I would say though, while the environmental pre-alpha video looked impressive (in parts), the pre-alpha combat video was a bit disappointing. I realise that it’s very early stages, but the combat in the video looked very stiff and clunky, which doesn’t give a great first impression. I’d have probably waited a bit longer to release combat video which would represent the game more positively.

</blockquote>
    I agree with the combat video not looking up to par and making a relatively negative impression when it comes to overall visuals (especially since the particle effects artist only recently / soon to be hired to revamp this). That being said it’s better in a sense to show that “Hey, combat is actually quite far along mechanically. We just need to update the visuals and modernize the UI which is a late in development thing anyway.” You could even say it goes an extra step in saying they trust in the community with the idea that they’ll share progress on the game warts and all.

Though in the end I do agree as a first impression it wasn’t the best. I hope once they have some new particle effects and visual upgrades they can show it off in a new video with the idea of “Hey, look how much we’ve improved the visuals and fluidity of combat! We’re just getting started!” kind of deal.

[/quote]

Very good points there my friend. Indeed it is very early on, and I do hope that rather than putting people off, people will "stick with it" and see how things progress. From the combat video, I do think it's got a great foundation to grow from, I'm sure the devs can continue to work on the system to bring the fluidity, effects and polish that it needs to make it a "fun" game to play.

Early days and will still be watching curiously!
  • I thought the combat video was rather impressive myself. *shrugs*
  • I do agree, this has potential. It is early.
  • I tend to be okay with a not as complex of a fighting system, just as long as it is easy to learn and remember without having too second guess yourself i'll be fine with it. Im currently playing TERA right now so i've gotten a bit annoyed of the unnecessarily large map with just empty space with copy and pasted creatures but other than minor grievances its pretty good.
  • This game's art really tickles my fancy in a way no MMO (or RPG for that matter) has done before.
  • Just seen the dungeon preview video, water temple I think it was called?
    Again, the environments of this game continue to look stunning and modern - I just hope that, if this game doesn't release until as late as 2018 / 2019, that these graphics don't become dated. Hopefully we'll see the completion of this game sooner than that, but let's see.

It's interesting that so far, we've seen a lot of environmental previews, but not so many player / npc designs. The combat preview video is really the only place where we get a taste, and even there, it looks to be in very early developmental stages. Would love to start seeing some early designs of general mobs, npcs, player characters, etc.
  • Look who's in town!

Howdy pard!

B)
  • [quote quote=1028]Look who’s in town!

Howdy pard!

B)

[/quote]

lol, Welcome mate :)
  • This really resonated with me and I must say I'm rather interested in your community, you've played many of the MMORPG's I also have tried with friends from time to time.

Anyway, It's good to have someone with so much experience community-wise. Which in many cases is what makes an MMORPG survive and thrife after all.
  • I don't think there has ever been a MMO drought, it's just a matter of whether you've been paying attention to the smaller projects or not. Personally, I think this is the first time that I have been excited about the genre since 2001-2003.

We're in another MMO renaissance, only difference is, we know about the games years before they'd usually be unveiled to the public and we're funding them on Kickstarter (which allows them to survive on a viable niche rather than some executive pushing for it to become the fabled WoWkiller).
  • [quote quote=1195]

We’re in another MMO renaissance, only difference is, we know about the games years before they’d usually be unveiled to the public[/quote]

I think that's the problem, really. It feels like a drought because we've been waiting on the same games to slog through development for what seems like aeons.

The drought is still on until some of these new, in-development ones actually go gold ;)
  • I am excited I hope this game can breathe life into a MMO community where everyone now a days looks to their wallets to win games or expects Dev's to give compensation all the time or I Win buttons. I just want a game that has constant evolution AND NO END GAME. I am saying this because every MMO out there someone is always talking about END GAME. I don't understand how games that are sand box and supposed to evolve End. If content gets stale then change it that is what player driven means. So please leave words like End game out because that means people get bored when they can't create content I guess in short mirrors their lives because a creative mind is never bored or lonely and is never looking for the end just beginning of new journeys.
  • What the ......Hi Bel :)
    Small world.

I actually agree. The creators are making very, very positive noises I never thought I would hear again.
    The progress already appears way beyond anything I expected.
    I am impressed by this team. Very, very impressed.
  • Indeed Ashes is one of if not the most promising in development. Speaking of development it almost feels like as many are in development as there are to choose from. So yeah soon, as long as these mmos in development reach release, the drought will be over. Especally for western mmos. We've just been bombarded with p2w asian mmos and its really FeelsBadMan.