Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Player Created Quests

Had this idea a while ago, but never posted, and I'm unsure if it's been posted here or not already, but something I think would be really cool to see in the game is player created quests.

And by Player created quests, I mean there should be a system in place, where players can posts requests for aid, or something of the sort, and upon completion of the task the person who completed the task would get whatever the person who asked for the request put up as the reward. This could range anywhere from someone asking for a wood or other mats, or to kill off certain mobs that have been bugging them at their freehold or anything that the system could track.

Anyways, how this would work, is the Player making the request would put up whatever their request is (say in this example it's to kill 20 skeletons), and then they would need to put their reward for the quest into the system. The players could create these quests on boards in nodes, or boards outside their own freeholds (this could incentivize people to visit others freeholds), and once all that is done the request would be put on the board, and anyone who visits that board can take the quest, then go and complete it like you would a normal quest, and the first person to complete the quest and turn it in, would receive the reward automatically from the system, so as to prevent scamming and the like. the quest likely wouldn't offer any exp (outside of what you get for doing the task required), but would offer whatever the player who is requesting this task is willing to offer.

Examples of the use for this.

- Lower level player needs help clearing a dungeon is offering a reward for someone to help them.

- A node doesn't have enough citizens helping in an event and they need to incentivize people to help or their node may face the consequences of a failed event.

- Someone's trying to max out their profession and needs more mats, but doesn't really have time to go the town and shop/doesn't want to take the time out of grinding to do so, but doesn't really care about the quality of the mats so they put up a request for leather.

- Guild recruitment! a Guild could put up a quest outside their guild hall or something, and make completion of that quest a requirement for joining their guild, and everyone who completes it receives an invite to their guild. something I think would be a fun and interesting way to go about joining a guild.

- Community events. Now this goes for just about everyone, including streamers, mayors, or wealthy people looking to watch people scramble, but something someone could is put a really really rare or expensive item up as a reward, and make the quest objective(s) difficult and watch people scramble to complete it.

- Now this last ones a bit iffy, but I remember (and my memory is fallible). them talking briefly about ecology, and how overhunting/gathering might have some effects (like triggering an event, or a decrease in spawn), and if this isn't the case, then I think it should be, but that's another topic for another time. Anyways, if do things like, hunt mobs out of certain areas, or trigger events by mass farming a specific resource, then you may want to put up a quest to incentivize people to do things they wouldn't have done before (say hunt goblins all day long)

Now there is some problems I see with this idea inheritantly. First, the implementation of the system, is likely to difficult to say the least. having to write and program a system designed to track specific tasks that are player assigned I could see being incredibly difficult, more specifically the process of how the player requesting the task, choosing which task they want accomplished, I could see being a hassle. Furthermore, this system could just be entirely useless and go completely unused by a vast majority of people. The system relies heavily on players needing other players to do things, they can't do or don't want to do, and those players not already doing those things. if everything a person could want is either easily obtained by themselves or they don't need to convince other people to do things, then the system would just get passed over without a second though.

But these are just my thoughts on what I think would be a coll system if at all possible to implement, tell me yours!

Comments

• Anytime you introduce human interaction into the system you lose control. This is why they are not planning on letting the API be accessed and other concerns. Any system that would allow players to reward other players could be "gamed" and would be immediately. Gold sellers using it to launder/transfer money is one outcome I could see right away. Profanity/racial slurs/trolling another. And so on. So while a nice idea, probably not going to see it.
  • The title immediately reminded me of Neverwinters Foundry where people could create their own instanced quests.

But as USE stated, this would be an easy playground for gold sellers. 
  • Anytime you introduce human interaction into the system you lose control. This is why they are not planning on letting the API be accessed and other concerns. Any system that would allow players to reward other players could be "gamed" and would be immediately. Gold sellers using it to launder/transfer money is one outcome I could see right away. Profanity/racial slurs/trolling another. And so on. So while a nice idea, probably not going to see it.
    Hmm, I do see your point. Removing EXP from the quests was a part of preventing "gaming" of the system. However there's a few things I'd like to go over as far as 'gaming'. The first and foremost thing, being why I COULD see it being used for money laundering, it'd be incredibly dangerous to do so, given that the quests would be publicly accessible, and so they run the risk of some random person completing the quest before their alt can, something much more risky then just simply trading, which is what I imagine they'd likely use instead. Additionally, I'm not quite sure how this would be used for "profanity/racial slurs" I could see trolling" For instance a quest that pays 1 gold for something worth 1 million gold, but in those instances you should simply just avoid those quests. Which brings me to my final point, I don't think system gaming and trolling are valid reasons for not having specific features. Players are going to figure out how to game and troll in ANYTHING you give them, so I don't think those reasons alone should be reasons not to do something, as their literally going to happen with everything.

For instance, those two things are very very likely to occur with systems like the caravan system, or the player run political offices, or just the open world PvP in general, or hell just simply the trading system, but that doesn't mean that those systems should be in place.

However, i'd like to clarify that I'm not disagreeing with your points, i think there is potential for that in the system, merely saying I don't think it should be a reason not to include it ^_^
  • All good points. Just don't expect to see anything acted on in the next couple years. Once live comes out and they have a handle on all those pesky systems that people are going to try and exploit, I can see them entertaining ideas like that.
  • All good points. Just don't expect to see anything acted on in the next couple years. Once live comes out and they have a handle on all those pesky systems that people are going to try and exploit, I can see them entertaining ideas like that.
    Oh no, I definitely don't expect them to be focusing on something as Niche as this anytime soon XD. Much rather see them focus on completing the base game they've promised and getting it online functional and to a place where the community is mostly happy with ti (there are always going to be haters), before trying to tackel niche features like this. Just throwing this out there as something I thought was a cool idea :p
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    In my personal opinion, the idea is perfect for people who don't have time for gather materials, such as wood, plants etc., for players who likes an RP it's perfect way to "feel into the game" too. Or for this players who are far from towns or marketplace.

As @UnknownSystemError said, it's ideal way for goldsellers, but to be honest they always find a way to do this, and it's dev's job to make it a lot harder (max. reward in gold, taxes for creating quest or item needed to create task etc.). I'd like to see other players ideas for making this harder for them.

• i brought this up before. sadly i agree with not doing it . never winter while having some beautifully created player missions also has some horrid ones like a hall with 4000 monsters to farm items etc.
  • Then, these quest will never be done! :)