Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What are you going to do about WOW

Comments

• Wow is a Theme park mmo for casual players and nostaligic people. Ashes has a different market.
  • IS cannot control what Blizzard does or does not do.  The Blizz employees are probably so sick of it that they backed AoC, lol
  • anything new that comes out, wow players try it too. they are tired of wow but it's the only game floating enaugh. if what they try is good, they will stay. entire guilds might try the game, thats why I think weekend free trials is a must in the first 6 months.
  • There will never be free trials. The reason f2p/p2w/sub games are flooded with gold sellers are their free trials. Gold farmers don't want to pay $15 for their accounts knowing that many of them will be detected and shut down, making it a losing sum game. Free trials and you get a never ending cycle of player l;skdfgl;alg spamming links to their website in channel and GMs/customer service end up playing whack-a-mole. I think them going the route of no box cost, just a sub fee is fine for that reason. It isn't like in these days that everyone and his brother streaming on Twitch or another service, like they are walking in blind.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    trials could not talk in any channel, when would exist only in the first months of the game, so people could have a try and buy the game, while youtube and twitch is the greatest marketing tool
  • Just like Obamacare, developers find that taking an entitlement away from people is harder than giving it to them. Give a limited free trial, with chat and gold restrictions to try and stop botting(still doesn't stop the problem) and people will scream their entitled heads off when it is removed in 6 months. Even if they never use it. Part of Making MMOs Great Again is removing the trend of welfare gaming. If you can't drop $15 dollars on a whim purchase, then you don't need to be playing.
  • Ashes IS the solution to WoW.
    edited September 2017
    People LOVE to circle jerk about the "WoW Killer".

Every MMOin the last decade has been the game to "end WoW" for some people.

This belief is utter garbage and I'm frankly tired of this discussion because all it does it set up disappointment. Because the only company that's going to kill WoW is Blizzard. 

If a company spends more time worrying about it's competition instead of what draws people to their own product we get shit like New Coke and the Zune.
  • People usually only play the new expansions until they're done with the new content or get bored and return back to the game they played before, from what I have seen. I have never seen anyone leave for more than a couple of weeks to play WoW, so I don't have any worries.
  • wow is geared towards the casual, we all know wow had it highest populations when the game wasn't targeting the casual but the hardcore gamer, the more casual the game got the lower the population got, so low that they stopped giving us a number of how many subs. AOC is looking to target the Hardcore mmo community, and with this they will have a lot of lifelong mmo fans joining them especially the vanilla and pre cataclysm wow players, including me
  • cflournoy said:

WOW is a game that has been around for a very long time. Believe it or not they are responsible for the industry collapsing on its self. Whenever a new game comes out that has good hype they squash it by releasing a new feature or a new expansion prior to the games release. What is AOC going to do to prevent this from happening?

When AoC will be released will there be WoW anymore? I dont see that WoW can turn its course back to fly and it will steadily loose players like the trend has been now for years. Only at the end there are just the true fans and most of players are seeking new winds.  
  • If Intrepid tries to make product decisions based on what Blizzard does, or trying to predict or prevent it, then they've already lost.

They can only control what they can control and the focus should remain inside - not outside.
  • cflournoy said:

WOW is a game that has been around for a very long time. Believe it or not they are responsible for the industry collapsing on its self. Whenever a new game comes out that has good hype they squash it by releasing a new feature or a new expansion prior to the games release. What is AOC going to do to prevent this from happening?

we're doomed!
  • WoW devs must be ecstatic that people always compare new games to it, that shows the level of success that WoW achieved, other MMOs can only dream about achieving.
    I think a lot is being placed on AoC, AoC has been in development for 2 years (not sure but I hope this is aprox correct, if not there could be trouble ahead). WoW was in dev stage for nearly 5 years. This is my concern with AoC, until now a small team in a small timescale looking to release in possibly 2018.
    I hope it succeeds, I did back it for that reason. But at no time have I felt it would knock WoW off it's perch.
    As people have stated above, the biggest enemy to a new MMO is themselves, it's not that WoW "succeeds" but that the competition "fail".

edited September 2017
    @The people telling WoW and AoC isn't the same market

It is the same market. A distinction can be made between the "hardcore" crowd and the "casual" crowd but there's definitely a slice of the WoW playerbase ready to jump ship if some better game appears. It would be a stretch to say that the MMO genre has become niche but there's not that many players around to support all these games.
    edited September 2017

Who cares about WoW ?

I am here to play ashes not wow.

• Who cares about WoW ?

I am here to play ashes not wow.

This guy knows what's up.
  • I still play WoW to this day and I can say right now that I'll still be playing it even when Ashes of Creation is released. I intent to play both games, however if Ashes of Creation is just as outstanding as it looks, it may be time for me to drop WoW.
  • Like many MMO's WoW, SWG, LOTRO, etc, etc.  All have their shiny paint, new car smell things that make/made appeal to different players.  What will be be critical IMHO is having new content and a variety of things to do when you aren't interested in doing X or Y.  It's not only the Devs that keep the game interesting, it's also the community in many MMO's that can keep a game fun to play when you start to lose that new car smell.

• I have played WoW for years and still find enjoyment in it, though it is not the same enjoyment that kept me logged on for 6-7 hours a day back in Vanilla/BC. As many people have said before, WoW hurt itself when it took away social aspects of the game as well as its difficulty. But now the community is used to playing an easy game with immediate gratification, so any hopes of going backwards are going to be difficult.

From my perspective as an MMO lover Ashes will be better than WoW if they can create and keep strong immersion in the world. That is what drew me to WoW initially and what makes players lose themselves in a world that they can feel truly part of. I think that the level of involvement players have in shaping the world in Ashes is going to keep a lot of MMO fans around for a long time.

I don't think Ashes will "Kill WoW", at least I hope not. There are many loyal supporters of that game who would follow Blizzard to the ends of the earth. I hope that the games are so different that separate fan bases can enjoy each for what they are, and people such as myself can enjoy both :)  

• I have played WoW for years and still find enjoyment in it, though it is not the same enjoyment that kept me logged on for 6-7 hours a day back in Vanilla/BC. As many people have said before, WoW hurt itself when it took away social aspects of the game as well as its difficulty. But now the community is used to playing an easy game with immediate gratification, so any hopes of going backwards are going to be difficult.

From my perspective as an MMO lover Ashes will be better than WoW if they can create and keep strong immersion in the world. That is what drew me to WoW initially and what makes players lose themselves in a world that they can feel truly part of. I think that the level of involvement players have in shaping the world in Ashes is going to keep a lot of MMO fans around for a long time.

I don't think Ashes will "Kill WoW", at least I hope not. There are many loyal supporters of that game who would follow Blizzard to the ends of the earth. I hope that the games are so different that separate fan bases can enjoy each for what they are, and people such as myself can enjoy both :)  

Ashes won't kill WoW. Cos WoW is already dead, it's long since been only the minor addicted "no-lifers" remaining as its player base. It occasionally gets a spike when they release a new expansion, but then dies again after a month.. Should stop poking the dead horse :c 
  • Marketing marketing is the strategy. 

Ashes product will im sure be solid and more than enough to fend of WOW with its nodes and dynamic world. But Ive found in my industry if you dont have the marketing power behind a solid product it could get swamped. So we need AOC on blimps, on fridge magnets, back cereal boxes and on dominos pizza boxes i say !!! 
  • Wow vs AoC,  thème Park vs sandbox,  lol vs you. 
    edited February 2018
    I don't play WoW because it's a good MMO...I play because it's convenient. I can log on, do a bg or two and log off. To me this isn't a MMO.

Different players like different activities in games. Personally I like gathering, social activities and PvP. I've yet to play a game that caters to my personal need as a player which combines all three of these activities successfully. I also like fantasy characters (especially dwarves) and my favourite class is bard.

So yeah when I saw Ashes of Creation I was like, woaw, this is the game for me.

1. I can be a dwarf bard (and adjust it to a playstyle I'm comfortable with)
    2. I can go out gathering and specialize in an area and make a name for myself
    3. I finally have  reasons to communicate with other gatherers (e.g help to find locations (or misleading others if I found a spot), teaming up to defend gathering areas or to compete over it, doing caravans runs together (or to trick and risk my loot to steal theirs!) All the fun I can have!
    4. No AH! I can set up a wee stall and be proud of all the merchandise I've gathered! A more personal and fun experience of trading imo. I can sell in my own node or maybe one day decide to go on an adventure to another city~
    Other players will see Ashes of Creation for what it is, and not what it is like. For me (if it delivers) Ashes of Creation isn't like other games...if it was I'd be playing that other game atm not thinking about AoC xD I'm here patiently waiting for a couple of years, logging onto WoW every now and then because its convenient.

edited February 2018
    They are going to rely on having a better product. WOW will always have its diehard supporters that will never leave no matter what shit they pull. But many of the supporters of AOC have had enough of the industry as a whole and are ready to support the next generation when done right. Doesn't matter what shiny new polish they put on the turd that is WOW for their next expansion, shouldn't impact their base at all.
    Its just your main game, same as your favorite place to eat, you don''t always eat there it but always return to it.

Ashes will not kill World of Warcraft, theres just no way, they always say that but anyone has any proof here?
  • DevonMeep said:
    WoW was a great in its day and in some ways still is. The fact of the matter is its changed from original release and has slowly become a casuals game. Now I'm not saying that is a bad thing but its not what a lot of the people who played it at launch are looking for. Archeage is the closest I've seen to a great MMO in recent years but poor handling by Trion and a pay to win market destroyed any chances it had. AoC won't kill WoW. But it will give a home to those of us looking for a more in depth experience.
    They changed lvling now which takes 5/6/7 times longer now + more fun you should try it out. But then people start complaining, i dont oneshot anymore fuck this game.
  • I don't think anyone can honestly say that WoW is dead while it is still the largest MMO. I am not saying the game is great, but it is far from dead. In my opinion it is certainly terminal due to the things bliz have done over the years, but not at all dead.

• I don't think anyone can honestly say that WoW is dead while it is still the largest MMO. I am not saying the game is great, but it is far from dead. In my opinion it is certainly terminal due to the things bliz have done over the years, but not at all dead.

Im working on that but it just wont die
    edited February 2018
    I think there  will be a slight competition between vanilla wow servers (comming soon) and Ashes of Creation if they are released at the same time.  One of the biggest WoW servers was Nostalrius a privatet vanilla server that was shut down.  There is a good demand for  Vanilla WoW I am talking about in the millions and if Ashes of Creation has to compete with Vanilla WoW then it mose likely lose some players to it.   

As far as current WoW is concerned seems like every expansion they do something to aleinate thier playerbase.  Like Garrisons, The Prune that did not even work just make game oversimplified and the class halls that segrated the community.  It is like they cannot stop shooting themselves in the foot.  It just takes a really long time to lose 12 million players but  they are doing a great job at it. 
  • The leveling overhaul WoW did was a fantastic gesture for the community*; now you can actually complete your rotation and become acquainted with the class you're leveling as. The choice to level up through various avenues and experience storylines that haven't been visited by the majority of the playerbase for years is inviting, and the premise of the next expansion (which is incorporating RTS elements) seems to be returning to the franchise's roots.

I admit to a bias since I started playing back in vanilla, however, Blizzard's decision to launch Classic WoW should pique your interest.
    I don't claim to know the inner machinations
    of Blizzard; but their recent appeal to a "hardcore" playstyle makes it seem as though they may incorporate things from Classic WoW into retail if they prove to be too popular.

Bizzard is capable of distilling the past and present WoW into a concept that could bring in hardcore players, traditional players, and RPG fans alike. I'm hoping both games can give us what we want (I will likely be playing up to four MMOs).

*This was no small decision as it may very well alienate the casual portion of the community