Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Open World Dungeons

2»

Comments

• more of a challenge ,also would like pvp in the dungeons ie hunting rare resources 
  • I really like the concept. This game is focused on the node development. This adds a lot of potential for disrupting a rival node's development and allowing your node to prosper. 
  • I am also For open world dungeons HOWEVER,  as I have come across Open World games.  Most Developers don't understand what Open World really means.  I might make some enemies with this next comment but take Mass Effect Andromeda for example.  They put that OPEN WORLD sticker on the game however it is obvious that when they claimed it all they meant was a ton of sand and a tiny encampment 5 minutes away from the main questing location.  There is literally nothing else there.  It's a box with 2 points of interest and nothing more.  
    Now open world could indeed be like this BUT only if there is content that changes the way you play even by the slightest margin.  Something to keep you entertained.  Not just another "oh this is far away" "Click" and then completely zone out and shut off your brain as you wait to arrive.

Any company that slaps that Open World sticker on their game I set a REALLY high bar for them and initially they have my respect for the BALLSINESS of the attempt, until I actually play it and get depressed.  

So if AoC can pull it off... well, I guess I wont be playing any other game in the world for a very long time.
  • If it's not open world it's not a perpetual world u live in and ur decisions affect. It's just a instances guild wars pve crap that all these modern mmos are.  Smh. Please be open world
  • If it's not open world it's not a perpetual world u live in and ur decisions affect. It's just a instances guild wars pve crap that all these modern mmos are.  Smh. Please be open world
    Its been confirmed  that open world dungeons will be in game, which will be a great, just hope the locations are not announced.
  • @Semaarius if i cant run through a random forrest to go to a random place swim in the ocean, climb mountains, all at my lezier than is not open world,

Wow is the perfect example of open world
  • Why? 
    The same principal as a gun or condom.
    "If rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." 

There's no downside to having more content added. Open world dungeons sound great. If it's not your thing, just don't do them.
  • For me instanced dungeons are for fine tuned teamwork.
    Openworld dungeons are for meeting other explorers and seeing how they handle danger with a perspective on future team mates and/or build inspiration.
    I look at them as the equivalent of an inn for finding local information.
    They are a social hub.

Many of these will come about as node evolution and exist within a node. So you wont necessarily have any PvP going on at all. This is not like typical compulsory multiplayer group vs multiplayer group. Your endeavours support the node not work against it. The node players are your allies and not your enemies. Granted the frontiers of exploration will be a different story.
  • xschlemmx said:
    @Semaarius if i cant run through a random forrest to go to a random place swim in the ocean, climb mountains, all at my lezier than is not open world,

Wow is the perfect example of open world
    That's just it, in WoW they have filled their open world with foliage, pathways, streams, rivers, lakes, dungeons, etc.  Hell they even allow flight.  I have great respect for companies that can pull it off.  The vast majority slap that label on and then do a half-baked job.  Now keep in mind I am talking about open world in general.  The post above is open world dungeons to which I agreed with, that it would be nice to have if done correctly.  From what I have seen so far from what gameplay footage I have seen Intrepid is on the right track.  I can see quite a few ways on how to make an open world dungeon work and would love to go into detail about them but I haven't done too much programming yet so I don't have the know how, on how exactly difficult it would be.  So therefore I keep my vision to myself.  I don't see much of an issue though Steve seems to envision a game very, very close to an ideal game in my eyes, and I have said as much a while ago.  So as long as Steve is working on AoC I have no regrets to voice until I actually can play the game in all its glory.
  • Open world stuff is a lot of fun.
    In Rift on a PvP server when zone events happen makes a lot of difference at the different points and when the event boss spawns big fun. PvP and trying to not get murdered by the boss and what ever else spawns is a lot of fun. Having both is the right answer as said above. Being able to think and plan your way through an encounter as well can also be a lot of fun.