Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The meaning of Verra.

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited September 2017 in Ashes of Creation Lore
So in the Q&A on Sunday Steven told us the common tongue name for the world of Ashes which is Verra. But Jeff also said that there were already hints out there about what it actually means, so I thought I would try to figure it out.

So after looking through basically all that we have heard so far, I have narrowed what I think the meaning of the name could be down to a couple things. The word Verra has some similarity to the the Latin word for truth and using Latin is a popular naming convention, my name being a pretty good example of it because its a Latin word with one letter changed for my sense of aesthetics. Another thing to note is that Verra has been used as a name in russian which means faith. It might seem like that is not something to account for but if you look at the little lore we do have the gods already played a big part in it. The gods performed a divine intervention to get our ancestors off of the world to escape the corruption, so the gods are probably the most important figures if not the only figures in the lore that we can really refer to. Verra also is linked to other things such as glass and belief which I couldn't really working well.

After considering the little we have to look through, my guess for the meaning of Verra would be something along the lines of True Faith, or Home of the Faithful. I would be interested to hear the community's thoughts on this. I think if I am right or in the ballpark this could start to give us a picture of how important the Gods and religions are in the world of Ashes.

Edit: Steven has confirmed that it come from the Russian: Faith and Italian: It will come.

Comments

• Verra in Italian also means "it will come". So maybe some sort of divine entity is coming back to Verra along with us. Or some sort of divine cataclysmic event. 
  • Ok then it could possibly be something like a prophesy of the Corruption coming, almost like the Stark words "Winter is coming." 
  • And perhaps if we combine the translations you gave with the inclusion of the Italian one, its a foretelling of a new faith or deity that will arise. A new truth. Or maybe a forgotten truth or faith that we have to rediscover. 
  • That is an interesting thought but I feel like that might be a bit too long for a word like Verra.
  • I think of Verra more as a clue to the meaning rather than the entire meaning itself
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Because Verra is just the common name for it. Once we know all the races' names for the world and the meaning behind those names, we may have a better understanding of the overall meaning.
  • I actually think that each meaning from each race's interpretation will be the clue, and I think that each different one will have one specific meaning that when put together could form the whole picture.
  • For me it implies seeing the future and faith.
    So....
    Prophecy.

• Well that would be assuming that both are true, they may be as we don't know what Steven has Brewed up but I haven't really seen any mention of prophesy in what we have seen so far, only divine intervention.
  • The Vek orcs deal in prophesy and astrology.
  • True but in that case it would probably be represented in the Vek word for Verra.
  • That would make the most sense. We also don't know how each race/sub-race feel about the gods. We don't know which ones they worship (Steven mentioned that there are 10 deities) and which ones they curse. Or its possible they worship none of them and that is what brought on the corruption??? But Verra, if the various translations can be trusted, does point at some sort of divine purpose or event, whether it be for good or ill. 
    edited September 2017
    Verra is 'future' tense....to see.
    Steven likes to speak French.
    Or faith/truth too.
    So having a faith about the future is implied in my mind.
    You wouldnt have faith in the future unless you new what that future was and 'could see it'
    ie prophecy.

If it has any relationship at all to earth linguistics :)
    IMHO anyway.
    edited September 2017
    Verra is 'future' tense....to see.
    Or faith/truth too.
    So having a faith about the future is implied in my mind.
    You wouldnt have faith in the future unless you new what that future was and 'could see it'
    ie prophecy.

If it has any relationship at all to earth linguistics :)
    Faith is often not about knowing what is going to happen, but trusting that it will happen. Often that trust or faith is placed in a divine entity who does know what will happen or in someone who is known to get things done.
  • Well Jef said that there were hints so we have to try to with what we got. I think Rune_Relic makes a good point, if Steven likes French then his naming choices probably would reflect that.
  • There was a thread with a discussion what the name may be.. some people were talking about earth and its anagram thera/terra and they were talking about how every world name starts with t recently.. Probably Steven just read that thread and put 1 and 1 together  :*
  • If Verra means "it will come" in Italian, than perhaps the world name comes from the "coming" of the players, as well as the cities being formed. "It will come" refers to all of the possibilities that will arise when the players do.
  • That's an interesting thought but if the name was based on the Italian then I still think that it is more likely to refer to the corruption, because that is more of an it than the players are. 
    edited September 2017
    The name Verra is a smart choice because it's easy to say but can be seen to reference several things:
    • The Italian verrà ("it will come")
    • The French verra (3rd person conjugation meaning "he/she/it/one/we will see")
    • The Latin veritas ("truth")
    • A portmanteau of virtual & Terra ("earth, land, world") 
  • Alternative it could simply mean.....

SoonTM

;)
  • The name Verra is a smart choice because it's easy to say but can be seen to reference several things:
    • The Italian verrà ("it will come")
    • The French verra (3rd person conjugation meaning "he/she/it/one/we will see")
    • The Latin veritas ("truth")
    • A portmanteau of virtual & Terra ("earth, land, world") 
    The problem with your second point and fourth point are that I don't think there were any specific things that you could link to those as hints. I mean you could just use the fact that its an MMO to justify the fourth one but I don't think Steven is going to try and break the fourth wall with his lore. In regards to the second point, while apparently Steven likes french I don't see how that conjugation links to anything we have seen so far. So I still think that right now our strongest guesses are with Veritas (Truth), Verrà (It will come), and Verra (Faith) because those can refer to tangible things we have seen in the little lore we have. I could be wrong but from what I have seen these are the 3 biggest connections I have seen so far.
  • Verra 
    Arrev

Arrive? Rev from Revive? Ar from Arrow? 

I think deep.

• Where on the discord did he put this I don't see it?
  • Do a search: From Steven#8582 Verra. He posted it in Ashes Discussion.
  • So the first two guesses on this post were right, great to know.
  • SoonTM
    :D
    edited September 2017
    More importantly it's a line of women's sandals. >:)
    edited September 2017
    As holy terra is the birth place of mankind so will Verra be the rebirth of MMOs
    Resurgam
  • @Nagash buddy, I love necromancy too but that doesn't stop us from needing to say the name properly.