Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Need animal races.

One thing I love about EverQuest is how creative and expansive the character selection is. Looking at Pantheon, I'm a bit disappointed because all the races just seem to be a color or size variant of the standard human. I find that very boring and have always gone for the cat, rat, frog, lizard, dog type races when available. They add fun, charm and much more character into personifying the personality of a character much like they do in real life when we choose an animal that best represents us personally. Listen, being a Ratonga ranger or monk in EQ 2 is awesome, being an Iksar assassin is great. If there is something I'm looking for in Ashes of Creation, it's these kinds of races and depth of character customization. 

Comments

• And I should add when I mention animal races, I mean ones that fit in with the others and don't come across as bestial monsters like the Charr in Guild Wars 2. 
  • The Tulnar should fulfill that role
  • Perhaps. Nothing of them to really look at. See my ideal is the Ratonga in EQ 2, the Kerra, the Vulmane in Vanguard. These characters feel like citizens of the world, they aren't snarling beast monsters like the Charr in Guild Wars. Hopefully the Tulnar are more the former or they include other races that create fun variance in the races. EQ 2 had a lot, many MMO's today just have tall human, giant human, normal human, short human, blue or green human. 
  • Tulnar will be your go-to race to make your animal races.
  • MintyDog said:
    And I should add when I mention animal races, I mean ones that fit in with the others and don't come across as bestial monsters like the Charr in Guild Wars 2. 
    I too am more a bestial race type of person and have also been hoping the Tulnar would allow a Ratonga/Skaven type choice. Something ratman. So you are not alone.

We do know there will be several branches in the creation process. Reptilian was mentioned as was bestial humanoid and humanoid beast elements. That could cover a lot of ground creativity wise.
  • See, these are the types of races I'm looking for. As though animals evolved to be more human, but I'm afraid if they add animal races, they'll be mouth open monsters with big fang teeth lurching around. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Tulnar is confirmed to be mixed with Reptilian, Mammalian and ... Raptorial an maybe more ?

However its best to go buy their Concept-Silhouette Art

https://www.ashesofcreation.news/articles/tulnar-new-underrealm-race-revealed/

( image is Bigger & Clearer in this link )

There are other Concept Art but i cannot find them  :'(

• Problem with too weird playable races is that minority of playerbase actually wants to  play with those. For example that playable guineapig race in Crowfall is way too bizarre imo. And i just cant see that people would choose "mouseman" over current choises.. i just cant. ;) 
  • I would choose mouseman without hesitation. 
    edited September 2017
    Ferryman said:
    Problem with too weird playable races is that minority of playerbase actually wants to  play with those. For example that playable guineapig race in Crowfall is way too bizarre imo. And i just cant see that people would choose "mouseman" over current choises.. i just cant. ;) 
    While you might not be able to wrap your head around it, the Ratonga in EQ2 were a fairly popular choice. They were also a possible next alt race to add for EQN and some of the Devs actually come from EQ stock so hopefully they will be partial to rat based options B)
  • I liked the animal races in  Vanguard SoH.The races were fox, wolf, and a lion. I believe. I I would definitely play a Minotaur race. I am tired of having humans, dwarf, and elves. 

• Mzia said:
    I am tired of having humans, dwarf, and elves. 
    Kind of me too. I dont mind that AoC is going with these obvious choises, but i would like to see generally more innoative races in games. Totally new ones would actually be very nice.
  • For some reason, this topic brought the image of a game full of cat girls into my head. I know this is not what you meant and it will probably not be implemented, but I could see that being really popular. But then it would get too much of an Asia MMO cutesy feel.
  • Yes definitely not anime cat girls, but a legitimate humanoid animal race. To me its a standard addition for fantasy MMO games. Its just too boring when its different varieties of human and thats it. 
    edited September 2017
    MintyDog said:
    Yes definitely not anime cat girls, but a legitimate humanoid animal race. To me its a standard addition for fantasy MMO games. Its just too boring when its different varieties of human and thats it. 
    Lets hope it goes a bit further than Anna and Uni Puma...Just a pair of cat ears and some long canines.

• I'm definitely hoping tulnar can go rat like. In mmos I always go for bestial, or small. I'd looooove to get them both in one package xD.
  • WoW has tauren, panda and worgen race, but the questions we should ask ourselves are.

How this race was born? Was it because of evolution, magic or what?
    How it survives or can it survive in the environment?
    Does it fit to the story? (This race might been considered as extinct but maybe is found later when story progresses)

I think these 3 questions are pretty basic that are needed to be asked when discussing about new possible races. We don't know much about the story so we can't answer all these questions. In my opinion there should be races like tauren from WoW in MMORPG's because I get really tired of seeing everyone looking like human unless I zoom in.
    edited September 2017
    As long as the animation and clothing stuff works fine on them. Otherwise I'd rather they just focus on what they can get right with more human-like races, no offense. At least to start.
  • please no
  • Ratonga all the way <3
  • Maybe in a future expansion. I like the idea of sticking to homanoid races.
  • WarRath said:
    Maybe in a future expansion. I like the idea of sticking to homanoid races.
    Except we already know the Tulnar will be a part of the initial game. So like it or not, they are here now B)
  • Please let all will work well (clothes, animation) with humanoid race, and on the other it will be possible to think in the next update.
    (P. S. I against rats :P)
  • Given we have the seas now... a future aquatic race seems a decent bet.

I would love more playable animal races...less anthropomorphic ones...but as @SFinist points out, the challenge is to ensure that no major work needs to take place around artwork, clothing etc. 
    In game, you'd probably have to specially craft or pay out for all your armour etc, as it'd be strange if it came from drops....

As to people not choosing the hamster in Crowfall, because they were given the ability to escape underground, when I was testing it seemed as much of a popular choice as any other race...excepting minotaur...
    So give the race the right skills and advantages, and you'll end up with every healer playing draenor.