Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Node Elections

So new video dropped this morning. If I wasn't hyped before, I am now after that video.

A few curiosities though about Node Elections and Elected Officials.

How long are election cycles and what do you guys think is a proper time? Given based on info I've heard, a "year" in Ashes is roughly a month in real time. Is a month long/short enough?

I'm also curious about the ability of elected officials being able to shape the city. Can they evict people? Do public works like parks and public buildings? Can they errect a statue to themselves?

If you haven't seen the video, totally worth the watch!

Comments

• From what i've heard, a new election will be held every month and that sounds appropriate to me. The elected Governors will be able to make choices in which direction the node should progress. And I think, although i cant confirm this so please dont blame me if it is incorrect, they will be able to assign land to different purposes, atleast I hope so.
  • [quote quote=9866]So new video dropped this morning. If I wasn’t hyped before, I am now after that video.

A few curiosities though about Node Elections and Elected Officials.

How long are election cycles and what do you guys think is a proper time? Given based on info I’ve heard, a “year” in Ashes is roughly a month in real time. Is a month long/short enough?

I’m also curious about the ability of elected officials being able to shape the city. Can they evict people? Do public works like parks and public buildings? Can they errect a statue to themselves?

If you haven’t seen the video, totally worth the watch!

[/quote]

If the elections are indeed held every month then I think this would be optimal. Any shorter and I think it would feel pointless being an elected official. Any longer and you run the risk with players not playing actively and also bad officials being in office for too long.

As far as them being able to shape the city I think they should be able to: To a degree. There needs to be a point to working to becoming elected and a meaning to the office if you're going to make this feature available. Do I think they should be able to evict people? No. Too many issues with personal grudges and such would require too much GM intervention.
  • I thought only the science node holds elections, military leadership is rewarded from PVP, economic is bought with gold, divine is from "faith quests"?. Yes the leaders have to decide which public buildings they build, there's a limited place for a lot of types like + siege defense/market range.
  • They do get to decide if there will be apartments available to rent, so in an indirect way they could evict people; just not individuals as far as we know.
  • Military leadership; A sneak peek at what class will be nerf'd next lol.
    In all seriousness trying to keep your build a secret before an election could become a serious thing as everyone will be scouring any resource they can to get that meta build.
    How will military elections be held, will the election be a tournament type setup or whoever has the highest pvp rank withing the nodes area of influence at that specific time automatically get elected regardless?
  • I would like to see vastly different cultures of nodes, for example. Pirate node - Maybe its on water maybe its not but a city for those who are immoral and dangerous. A city for bandits and misfits, focus on honorless, bad or rough people . Royal node - A node with a royal family, for those who server their kingdom and typical place for knights and people who are just, focus on loyalty and justice. I think something like this would add a flare to the game and with the choices you get towards the node shapes how the area would fall into these categories of nodes.