Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Sex change item

Hey Ashes community,

so there's a thought I had and I would like to know if you would approve of it. In another game I played there was an item in the cash shop to change your character from male to female and vice versa. I really liked that concept, because sometimes I would like the male costumes better, on other days I'd prefer the female costumes.
Sometimes one or the other is just more aesthetic or you just want some change to your character because looking at the same build and face 24/7 might get boring after a while.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• The devs seem to encourage the idea of making as many Alts as you feel practical. 

As to the sex change item, I can't offer too much in the way of response. I have my doubts that we'll see it though. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    I think you can wear any kind of armor you want. I think that's what they said. You could make a female character and move the boob slider to the left so no boobs, then later in the game to the right for yes boobs. Your face would always be pretty but it might work for elves and tulnar, 'cause what does a pretty snake gorilla look like? 

No offense to small boobs. I like small/med boobs, just trying to solve Heck's question. Not saying small boobs look like a boy or anything sexist like that. :P (This is the part of the post where it gets awkward and I feel stupid) :sweat:
  • Ponders being cruel enough to make @sunfrog distinctly uncomfortable :tongue:
    Nah! I aint that kind of guy.
    But your squirming has made me giggle... a lot.
    Thank you.

Mate. Dont feel stupid. You dont have to apologise for trying to make a genuine point and honest suggestion.

• If the devs can make that happen, sure... allow the ability for our characters to be gender fluid.
  • I know this topic might be tempting, but please do not bring politics into it so it won't be closed.

Thank you guys for your comments on this subject!
  • I actually like the idea, but it doesn't seem much different than many games paying to alter your physical appearance in the game.

However, it "does" potentially alter any role-playing as part of your character.
    It's also good to know that the "Wand of Many Things" in D&D had a small small chance to alter a character's sex randomly (male to female, female to male) as well as possibly change your skin color... and The Summer Campaign is giving backers a similar item... perhaps it's one of the possibilities of that item? (Maybe temporary, too, so people don't get upset.)

On the other side, I like the idea because of the potential role-playing complexities, as well as character nature.  I also think there should be different armor between male and female characters, instead of it just being "On males, it looks like this... on females it looks like that."  For a game that's going to be heavily focused on crafting, it makes sense to have separate armor.  This also means that if you had amazing gear as a Female character, and became a Male character (regardless of the reason), I think that a majority of your gear should no longer fit and needs to be re-tailored to your character's new size, shape, etc. (possibly including jewelry and other accessories, too.)  Weapons, perhaps, might be the only thing that don't need to be "altered", unless there's a certain weight or grip associated with the specific character and his/her stats... then it would need to be tweaked to best fit.

Since Steven basically said that all armor and weapons will be able to be worn by anybody (at least in terms of cloth, leather, mail, plate, etc.) of any class - it will be interesting to see how it plays out.  In that case, I would think that the sex-change would make the armor slightly less effective until it gets altered.
  • Many games have an item that lets you redesign your character in the character creator, I see no reason why that would not be the same in ashes. Though I for one become attached to the character I created and generally do not use these, some people do like the occasional change up.
  • I know this topic might be tempting, but please do not bring politics into it so it won't be closed.

Thank you guys for your comments on this subject!
    This guy... Ruining all the fun :(
  • I see no problem in a sex change scroll available through item mall. If it generates revenue for future content then why not?
  • I am a roleplayer and to be honest a gender change potion can be handy at situational use - but in the end characters are and should remain as they are.

I'd rather prefer a system that binds customization to stats.
    If you are a mage class - probably not that strong - you can't have that many muscles on your character. Not being as beefy as a warrior. Just as example.

But to hop from male to female permanently is not good in my eyes.
    People can roll alts if so.
  • @Meudestroy

I don't know where it went, it was still here yesterday. But I used such items in other games way before gender politics were even a topic. Like I stated in the original post, it's solely about aesthetics. A character does not need to represent who you are in real life, after all. For some people they're more of a fashion doll.
  • "This also means that if you had amazing gear as a Female character, and became a Male character (regardless of the reason), I think that a majority of your gear should no longer fit and needs to be re-tailored to your character's new size, shape, etc. (possibly including jewelry and other accessories, too.) "

Suppose you change gear and want to sell it, do you need to tailor it to the new owner? Suppose you want to sell gear you craft, do you need to take personalized orders with measurements of client? Because it feels weird if your crafts would be one-size-fits-all or auto-adjusting when its not gender, but suddenly gender makes them useless.
  • sorry but this came to mind ^^

edited September 2017
    @Meudestroy

I don't know where it went, it was still here yesterday. But I used such items in other games way before gender politics were even a topic. Like I stated in the original post, it's solely about aesthetics. A character does not need to represent who you are in real life, after all. For some people they're more of a fashion doll.
    It was flagged for being "sexist". The post was meant to lighten up the thread but I guess the professionally offended are already here. 

Back on topic though, I don't care if such items exist as long as the game still recognizes you as the same person. i.e stop people from abusing the system. For example, my brother one time put a raid together and ninjed a very rare item after he lost the roll. To get around the server's wrath he got a name change and continued to do what he wanted. At the time it was hilarious to me but I can see how people can use such systems to screw with others. Also, I don't RP so I have no idea how the RP community would feel about such an item. 
    edited September 2017
    I'm in favour of such an item. Gender doesn't affect gameplay in any way. It wouldn't even be too difficult to implement - just reuse the character creator.

Let's not forget that this is a role-playing game. One of its biggest features is exactly that - it's just a game. Yeah, we all want games to have realistic graphics, realistic physics, and realistic options, but the whole point of RPGs is that we can be represented by whoever we want. Of course it's possible to be represented by a different character by creating an alternate account, but should those of us with indecisive personalities have to play for double the amount of time as everyone else? It doesn't make sense to deny this feature - it's aesthetic.

While the item isn't something I'd personally have a need for, I'd like to see the option available. Aside from the fact that it's a game, it's the 21st century, and gender limitations are dumb and can't exist any more. So in a fantasy game, why not let people fulfil their fantasies, as temporarily as they wish, and be able to change their gender just as easily as they can change the colour of their hair and eyes?
  • I would like for such an item to exist, or it to even be a side effect on some normal items, like the belt of gender reversal, appears and functions as a belt of giants strength, but the first time you are wearing it in meaningful combat, it swaps your sex. One of my favorite characters encountered such an item, and she spent quite a time trying to become female once more. It was a great plot point, and a lot of fun to role play.
  • Hmm. In Starwars Galaxies there was a profession called 'Image Designer' that could change a characters appearance, with exception to gender and race.

I am somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of a character having the ability to constantly change gender, as it somewhat breaks the continuity of said character.

However, perhaps those are my entrenched views, as I am not used to the idea of ever changing character genders..
  • " Of course it's possible to be represented by a different character by creating an alternate account, but should those of us with indecisive personalities have to play for double the amount of time as everyone else? It doesn't make sense to deny this feature - it's aesthetic."

Well, people generally don't mind 1 time change items, however expensive or not. They do mind shapeshifting items giving you free "change as you see fit" appearance though.

So yes, if you want to be represented by both sexes strongly enough that you intend to change a lot, make an alt character. Or pay the consumable item every time in the cash shop (you'll see how its cheap to make an alt in comparison).

I'd make alts anyway probably to tackle multiple crafts, and why not take advantage of it to also take on different combat roles, try out new stuff, and new appearances. It's win-win. Time-consuming isn't that much of a drawback when we're talking MMOs, especially if it's not time lost watching cutscenes we've seen tons of times, or replaying a basic scenario tons of times.
  • Well, people generally don't mind 1 time change items, however expensive or not. They do mind shapeshifting items giving you free "change as you see fit" appearance though.
    Ok. But why..? What's the problem with it?

I'm sure I'll have an alt or two as well. That said, I'd rather be exceedingly high-level on one account than average out my levels on multiple accounts. So in that regard, time is more important for me than others. But that's just because I find a lot of enjoyment in being in the top percentile of players.
  • Make it a $5 fee to change your sex, it gives you a small little /whatever/ that changes it. Be it a gem, fruit, potion etc. I don't see why there should be a restriction on the amount of times you can change your sex. I'd say leave such a restriction for names.
  • "That said, I'd rather be exceedingly high-level on one account than average out my levels on multiple accounts"

Unless this game is very different from others, you'd all be high level, and you'd differ only in gear. Though if you get sufficiently wealthy, maybe not different in gear.

"But that's just because I find a lot of enjoyment in being in the top percentile of players. "

I do, too, though I'm not sure we're talking about the same top percentile. I'll be top in playtime, top in crafting, top in farming, top in researching, but probably not top in pvp, raid, or world boss slaying (I could still do those things, but I'll likely not be the top one).

"I don't see why there should be a restriction on the amount of times you can change your sex."

Well, it's not that you can't do it again, it's just usually not a reusable item or anything like that. It's consumed and then gone, and leaving you to buy more if you want more.

• "I don't see why there should be a restriction on the amount of times you can change your sex."

Well, it's not that you can't do it again, it's just usually not a reusable item or anything like that. It's consumed and then gone, and leaving you to buy more if you want more.

Obviously, but, some games do restrict name changes and the like. Sex isn't something I really care about changing on a constant basis. You're either Male or Female, not a hard choice.
  • I don't have a problem with appearance changes just name. Your names your reputation in an online game and name changes are a cheap way to escape repercussions.
  • ^as @DevonMeep said.

Why should anyone care if your pc is male or female or constantly switching?
    Names, sure penalise people for that, but not for random gender swaps, if you don't penalise folks for hair style changes, why financially penalise them for gender tee adjustment?

In a world where god's exist it seems likely to occur anyway as in stories itd be a decent joke\punishment for them to inflict.
    As to the RP crowd, the more variety the better, we are rping our pc remember, not just being ourselves.
  • Why not? RPers are able to set their own rules, if they don't want that they can just not use it. If they want to come up with a reason for it? Magic.
  • I'll just announce myself to Verra differently as Kratz or Kratzerina on different days and save myself a store cost.  
  • It's the beards...