Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Why wouldn't you want the forums to be active?

tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
Some of you may remember.. there was a time when people lit these forums up with memes and pointless posts in order to earn points and badges. It drove activity and traffic. Now, the forums are a few replies a day. If gamification drives traffic, why wouldn't you want that?

Virtue is the only good.

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    People were active here when there was a chance of winning an Alpha 0 key promised due to level of participation. Once it became apparent that the lion's share of those keys were being awarded to those in the Discord, many noped the fuck out and went there. Over time the toxic cesspool that was the Discord was tamed and people gave up posting here. Since you have one or two prolific posters who will just try to spam post their REEEEEE about "I want this....I know better than the developers......I am entitled to this......" dominating threads and every confirmed mechanic is met with "well, they can change their mind, so what they have said repeatedly doesn't matter if I repeat it on blast enough!" as the default argument, many just don't bother.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Because you don't want to have to monitor a forum that gets filled with a bunch of trash
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • StevenSharifStevenSharif Moderator, Member, Staff, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    I like perusing the forums and reading what everyone has to say. 😊
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I guess from my personal perspective this is the third iteration of the forums and over that time there are not too many topics that I have not commented on to offer my thoughts. Due to these different forum iterations it almost feels like all of the information and discussions are somehow disconnected and lost. Yes I know they are archived and can be accessed but there is still that disconnect.

Discord is simply a more popular form of communication it is pretty much real time and far more interactive. My own guild gave up its official website and forums because discord simply became a better option, more convenient option might be the case.

I tried to participate in the discord in the early days but found some of the people there to be so toxic and full of themselves with the then mods being some of the worst amongst them. Thus I gave up any thoughts of trying to contribute to discord as it would simply be lost in the senseless spam. Fortunately now discord is a much better place and I follow every day to see if there is any nuggets of information amongst the spam and cat meme's.

It is nice to see new people being treated with somewhat more respect and their questions being answered by the longer term members of the community though from my own perspective I tend to wait until Jahlon or Unknown show up to hit people with their wisdom and links rather than possibly get something wrong myself.

Things will pick up on the forums once we get closer to launch, there are no doubt so many people out there who have yet to hear about AOC. I find it amusing to see people lamenting the loss of their special little discord community once the unwashed masses flood in closer to launch.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like to post the controversial stuff to generate discussion. And here we go.
    Jahlon wrote: »
    Because you don't want to have to monitor a forum that gets filled with a bunch of trash

Isn't that the same argument for giving Asmongold an alpha 1 key? "Any traffic is good traffic."

Virtue is the only good.
  • sylsyl Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel like the forums are generally a more mature place to post your piece (I am assuming a lot here, but bear with me). Discord or any other messaging media are more appropriate for the 'Instant Messaging' activities - the day to day, moment to moment talk between players.

Both have their own uses and thus I think both of them should continue to exist.

I myself am more of a Discord user and I may or may not use the forums more once the alphas are live or the game is live.
    forum_sig2.png
    Come take a look at ashesofcreation.wiki!
    syl wrote: »
    I feel like the forums are generally a more mature place to post your piece (I am assuming a lot here, but bear with me). Discord or any other messaging media are more appropriate for the 'Instant Messaging' activities - the day to day, moment to moment talk between players.

Both have their own uses and thus I think both of them should continue to exist.

I myself am more of a Discord user and I may or may not use the forums more once the alphas are live or the game is live.

i like your signature seal. discord doesn't have that.

Virtue is the only good.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    tugowar wrote: »

Isn't that the same argument for giving Asmongold an alpha 1 key? "Any traffic is good traffic."

Not exactly

Giving Asmo a key will generate a lot of traffic to the game.

But having to babysit the forums is a boring job as a moderator. The old forums were like the wild west and we had some pretty vile people.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Not exactly

But having to babysit the forums is a boring job as a moderator. The old forums were like the wild west and we had some pretty vile people.

How is moderating discord any better?
    k2U15J3.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It didn't help that we had two forums wipes and had to wait months for the new one to come out
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »
    It didn't help that we had two forums wipes and had to wait months for the new one to come out

We should keep it fair and make a Discord wipe.

Alternative response, that’s just practice for launch.

Virtue is the only good.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Not exactly

I still post so the forums aren’t all better...

Hhak63P.png
    Lets not degenerate into a discord vs forums thing as much as it would be fun to read. :p
    3KAqRIf.png
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Discord Darlings vs Forum Fanbois lives!
    Yes its amusing reading the comments on Discord atm.

It was Belle who gave me my alpha 0 key way back when for my forum activity.
    Always stopped to read what Belle had to say as it was usually putting the smack down on some fool.
    3KAqRIf.png
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • TarlachTarlach Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As someone that rarely posts but often visits the forum, it is nice to have a place that when a post does happen it is normally to inform or inquire about something that matters in the game. I like how it is set up currently where if someone is looking for a quick answer that they probably could google in seconds they can ask it on discord and Jahlon will probably answer in a few minutes. It keeps the forum clean.
  • Trash, trash, and more trash. It's everywhere; what you going to do?
    I only attempt to try and sweep it up, at best. However, sometimes it just can't be stopped no matter how far the toxicity reaches. People that actually keep in the mindset of fantasy are more than likely people that are poor or perhaps want to escape reality. If the "trash" becomes the mainstream and reaches the top, it can have perhaps a toxic effect and people will just lose interest into the people that have the "creative" minds, but have turned trash...
    I’m not sure what you’re on about mate, but are you all right? All things in balance. You can be doing well in life and still balance video games as a release.

Virtue is the only good.
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We have the dev blogs and streams that can spark conversation for a few days but other then that there really isn't much to discuss on here atm. Once more people start getting access to the testing and the NDA gets lifted I'm sure these forums will light up fast
    darthaden wrote: »
    We have the dev blogs and streams that can spark conversation for a few days but other then that there really isn't much to discuss on here atm. Once more people start getting access to the testing and the NDA gets lifted I'm sure these forums will light up fast

The above is one of the main reasons there is not as much activity here there simply is not a huge flow of new information at the moment. This will change in time.
    3KAqRIf.png
    edited June 2020
    Case in point: We have so little to talk about, we decide to have a thread on how little there is to talk about.

Hhak63P.png
    The point I was trying to make it as we should have badges and roles and the activity/leaderboard back

Virtue is the only good.
  • I don't want to go boxing a Royalty staff member or anything... :hushed:
    My point I was trying to make is that people are so blatantly arrogant nowadays you can already see the outcome. Pig-headed opinions that you gotta keep making puns to get around and ponzi-scheme ideas that have no base. The lack of intelligence and creativity harbors no real estate in the end, so it fails gain again and again. Ofcourse I have no basis to back this up, but just look at Ebay. Members followed by 20 different collections accounts and bidding on my shit.....I can't even sell nothing. I am just observing real life scenarios and putting the puzzle together.
    edited June 2020
    Quick point of clarification - "Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty" means I'm just an average gamer who has spent an ungodly amount of money on a video game; not staff.

This post has the [Staff] tag on it because @StevenSharif commented above.

Virtue is the only good.
  • Hey, well thank god.
    perseus01 wrote: »
    Hey, well thank god.

In this thread Steven said he reads the forums, so I think he got your thanks. ;)

Hhak63P.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    we used to have a star rank back in the day and a leader board that should peoples activity which was a nice what to keep the activity going. that and an activity page
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nah, the leaderboards just caused people to do stupid shit like 3 word and 4 word story to farm post counts and likes. You had people create alt accounts to be able to post reactions on their own threads as another way of gaming the leaderboards. Sadly we have turned the corner in development here, where everyone is more about rabblin about what they want versus discussing what Intrepid has put forth as coming.