Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[GUIDE] How to register for my.com, and how to handle your my.com data

Hello everyone,

this thread will give you a detailed guide how to register for my.com, and how you handle your my.com data the best way possible.

Account Creation

To create an account, head over to https://aoc.my.com/en# and sign up. If you already have an account, you can skip the section Sign Up form, but should continue to get a better idea about how you should handle your my.com account.

In the sign up form, I highly recommend you to use the same email address that you used for your ashesofcreation.com account. With this, you will always have a connection between your previous purchases on your ashesofcreation.com account or kickstarter.com orders, and your new my.com account.
For the password, it's kinda obvious that you shouldn't use password123 as your password. Rather than this, I highly recommend that you use a password manager, for multiple reasons:
  • You don't have to remember the password for AoC yourself, just the master password for the key safe
  • You can change your password every now and then, using the same settings
  • You can create fairly long and complex passwords, that probably will never show up in any database leak on the dark net
Regarding available password managers and a comparison, please take a look at this techradar.com article. My personal recommendation: KeePass Password safe, it's one of the more complex ones, but highly customizable with plugins. Oh, and it's free.
Regarding the password length, I recommend using a long password, above 20 characters. In generall, the longer, the better. The longer the password, the longer it will take for others to brute-force their way into your account!
Regarding the password content, my.com allows the following characters:
  • A-Z (upper-case)
  • a-z (lower-case)
  • 0-9
  • - (minus)
  • _ (underline)
  • Special characters, like, but not limited to:
! $ % & / = ( ) . , : ; |
After you committed the sign up form, check your e-mails and confirm the account creation.

Filling account information

You can change your account information here: https://account.my.com/profile/userinfo/
Only provide the information you're comfortable sharing with my.com. As long as they don't need your real name for billing etc., don't provide it. Same goes for the date of birth. There's a lot of organizatios where your full name + date of birth are used as a "password" to grant you access to certain stuff. Don't provide either of those unless absolutely necessary!

Legal documents

If you skipped the account creation topic above, you should read on here again.

I'll summarize the most important parts of the legal documents that everybody of you should know and follow.
This will give you some information that will give you a better idea of how your data will be handled, and what you have to watch out for when using my.com!

In any case, your legal partner is My.com B.V. located at Barbara Strozzilaan 201, 1083HN, Amsterdam, the Netherlands (taken from EU GAMES PRIVACY POLICY - 1.1).

Disclaimer

Please note that the quotes and summaries below are valid at the date and time of writing this (the dates of each documented stated below each header). Legal documents tend to change every now and then. If you have any concerns, please make sure you read the up-to-date document linked below each header!
Also note that only the English version of these legal documents have legal effect! All the other languages are provided for your convenience only.
Further, take note that these documents are referring to the GAMES section of my.com! Additionally to those, there's a general TOS and general EU privacy policy you might wanna read up to!

From the legal document "Terms of Use"

Link to current Terms of Use (quotes and summary from the April 27, 2018 version)
3.2 From the moment of registration of a Main Account and/or an Extra Account  and/or downloading the certain part of the Game Services, depending on what happened earlier, My.com grants You a non-exclusive, non-transferable to third parties, limited license to use the Game Services, including all subsequent amendments and improvements (if any) for personal non-commercial purposes by obtaining access to the published by My.com, as well as downloading and installing the client portion of the Game Services (if any).
To summarize:
You're not allowed to sell or gift your account to third parties.
3.3 Subject to compliance with the terms and conditions of these Terms, You are entitled to:
[...]
stream, record and publish video content of the gameplay of the Game Services for commercial and non-commercial reasons. For avoidance of doubt, You are entitled to include advertisements in such streaming/recorded video content and otherwise monetize such video content by means allowed by corresponding streaming or video sharing websites.
To summarize:
You're allowed to stream the game for commercial and non-commercial use.
3.4 You are not permitted to:
[...]
  • translate the Game Services into other languages, or create other derivative works from the Game Services;
[...]
  • attempt to circumvent any security measures adopted in the Game Services, including blocking access by IP-address;
[...]
  • distribute for commercial or non-commercial purposes the in-game currency and/or in-game valuables outside the framework of the gameplay process, transfer the right to use the Game Services for commercial or non-commercial purposes to third parties, including through the transfer of a game character or a login and password required to access the Main Account and/or Extra Account;
To summarize:
You're not allowed to translate the game, to use a proxy to access the game, or to share your account with others.
4.8 You are prohibited to sublicense, sell or attempt to sell the in-game valuables for money, or exchange the in-game valuables for value of any kind outside of the Game Services. Any such transfer or attempted transfer is prohibited and void, and will subject Your Extra Account and/or Your access to the Game Services to termination.
To summarize:
You're not allowed to transfer or trade in-game items with other players.
(B) Terms of choosing the name of the game character, the name of the clan, group, user name at the game forum
The Users are prohibited from using as the name of the game character, name of the game clan or other group, as well as the name of the User at the forum the following designations:
  • offensive or coarse terms, inciting ethnic discord and discrimination, words and phrases which include curses and expletives in any language, executed with letters of any alphabet;
  • proper names and other words and phrases used in religions or cults, which may cause insult of the feelings of believers (use in the name of the game clans and the game groups such common religious concepts (except for proper names) as "paradise", "hell", "angel", "devil", "voodoo", etc. is not prohibited. For example, the clan name of the group like "Team of devils" or "Voodoo dolls" corresponds to these Terms);
  • names of historical figures and politicians;
  • words and phrases that are directly or indirectly related to drugs, ways of their preparation, use and acquisition;
  • words and phrases which can mislead other users as to that the user, registered under such name, is a representative of My.com or otherwise has direct or indirect relation to it, or has any rights of administration of the Game Services;
  • unpronounceable letter combinations;
  • words and phrases that contain advertisement of goods and services, including any domain names and trademarks;
  • words and phrases that violate the rights of third parties (including but not limited to intellectual property rights) or the requirements of applicable law.
To summarize:
Make sure your character and guild names apply to the rules above.
10.4 Any claim You may have to My.com in connection with the use of Game Services shall be made within one year from the moment You knew or should have known about the violation of Your rights; otherwise presenting a claim is prohibited.
To summarize:
If you have any issue with my.com, you have to make claims within one year of knowing about that issue.

From the legal document "EULA"

Link to current EULA (quotes and summary from the April 27, 2018 version)
4.2. The User hereby agrees that MY.COM B.V. may collect, store for an indefinite term and otherwise process anonymous information on use by the User of the Software, information on hardware and software installed on the User’s personal computer, and any other anonymous technical and statistical information, which the MY.COM B.V. needs in order to identify and eliminate problems with operation of the Software, to improve the Software, and for marketing purposes. Thereby, the User hereby agrees that MY.COM B.V. has the right to download software program files to User’s computer system, that will record CPU, RAM, operating system, video card, sound card and any other anonymous technical and statistical information from User’s computer.
To summarize:
The my.com client will, upon installation, send anonymous technical data to my.com. Additionally, the client may download additionaly software to obtain that data.
8.  Applicable Law. Jurisdiction
This EULA shall be governed by the laws of the England and Wales. All disputes arising in connection with this EULA should be resolved by the Parties without recourse to a court and, in case the Parties fail to come to agreement without recourse to a court, disputes shall be resolved by a court of relevant jurisdiction in the MY.COM B.V.’s location.
To summarize:
If you ever go into court with my.com, it will take place in the Netherlands.

From the legal document "Payment Terms"

Link to current Payment Terms (quotes and summary from the May 31, 2018 version)

In the following, AFS refers to Additional Function Set. Which comes down to cosmetics and other stuff that you can buy in the in-game store.
5. The cost of use of the AFS may be  changed by My.com at any time and in its sole discretion upon a prior notice to the Users and/or a public announcement placed on the relevant pages of the Website or within the Game based on the provisions of the agreements for the relevant Services. The cost of previously acquired bundle of rights to use the AFS shall not be affected.
To summarize:
My.com is in charge of setting the prices for the AFS and may change those at any time. Previously acquired purchases are untouched of price changes.
6. The User will receive the right to use the AFS when the payment for the selected services has actually reached that shall be deemed the time of depositing the funds determined by the specific rights to use the AFS of the Game selected by the User to the Personal Account of the User created within the Game (displayed as virtual currency at the internal rate of the Game), unless otherwise provided for by the agreement for the specific Game. The User hereby agrees that from the time of provision thereof with the right to use the AFS, the obligations of My.com to the User shall be deemed fulfilled in full and the funds deposited by the User shall become non-refundable (except as provided in clause 25).
To summarize:
Upon purchasing in-game currency, it's not refundable, except as provided in clause 25.
7. For the purposes of payment for the rights of using the AFS, the User is offered multiple ways of making the payments, the conditions of use for  each of them are set forth in the relevant section of the Website.
To summarize:
There's more than one option to pay for the purchases (e.g. credit card, PayPal, etc.)
12. The User shall keep the proof of payment for all the rights to use the AFS during the entire time of using the Game, and, at request of My.com, provide such documents, as well as information on the circumstances of such payment made by the User.
To summarize:
This is probably the most important thing to note!
You, the player, have to keep proof of each and every payment you made.
I highly recommend that you keep multiple backups (maybe printed) of your payments, even for those you made on the ashesofcreation.com account, which were transferred to the my.com account.
14. The exclusive right for distribution of the AFS belongs to My.com, due to which neither offers of third parties on provision of rights to use the AFS shall be considered by the User as offers originated from My.com.
To summarize:
You cannot apply promotional codes (e.g. for seasonal costumes) from third parties to obtain any in-game content.
15. In case My.com establishes that the User obtains access to the AFS from third parties, My.com shall be entitled, at its own discretion either to suspend or to limit the right of using the AFS, or terminate the access of the User to the Game. The provisions of this clause are not applicable for the cases when AFS was obtained via My.com’s Partners.
To summarize:
If you obtain in-game content from a third party, your account can be suspended. This excludes partners, e.g. Intrepid Studios!
17. The User warrants and represents that User will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of its residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to its geography, or for any other purpose. If User does this, My.com may terminate User’s access to its Account without any prior notice.
To summarize:
If you use a proxy to disguise your location where you are playing or buying from, your account might end up being suspended.
25. ALL CHARGES INCURRED IN CONNECTION WITH ANY GAME, AND ALL PURCHASES MADE WITHIN IT, ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, REGARDLESS OF THE PAYMENT METHOD USED BY THE USER, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS PAYMENT TERMS OR IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE LEGISLATION.
IN ADDITION, THE CHARGES AND PURCHASES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN THE EVENT THE USER IS DISSATISTFIED WITH THE GAME (EXCEPT FOR USERS WHO RESIDE IN THE EUROPEAN UNION, AS PROVIDED IN THIS CLAUSE BELOW).
IF YOU ARE A USER WHO RESIDES IN THE EUROPEAN UNION, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE PURCHASE TRANSACTION FOR DIGITAL CONTENT WITHOUT INCURRING A CHARGE AND WITHOUT GIVING ANY REASON THEREFOR, DURING THE TIME PERIOD OF FOURTEEN DAYS FROM THE DATE OF APPROPRIATE PURCHASE OR UNTIL MY.COM'S PERFORMANCE OF ITS OBLIGATIONS HAS COMMENCED WITH YOUR PRIOR EXPRESS CONSENT AND YOUR ACKNOWLEDGMENT THAT YOU THEREBY LOSE YOUR RIGHT OF CANCELLATION, WHICHEVER HAPPENS SOONER.
ACCORDINGLY, YOU WILL BE INFORMED DURING THE CHECKOUT PROCESS WHEN OUR PERFORMANCE COMMENCES AND YOU WILL BE ASKED TO PROVIDE YOUR PRIOR EXPRESS CONSENT TO THE PURCHASE BEING FINAL.
FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT AND NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THESE TERMS, ONCE YOU START USING ANY PURCHASED IN-GAME ITEM YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHT OF CANCELLATION AND REFUND.
To summarize:
As a citizen of the EU, you may refund within 14 days of the purchase (see quote for details). However, you loose your right to refund when you start using any purchased in-game item.

From the legal document "EU Games Privacy Policy"

Link to current EU Games Privacy Policy (quotes and summary from the April 25, 2018 version)
2.1. By making available the Services we, acting reasonably and in good faith, believe that you:
[...]
(b) provide true information about yourself  to the extent necessary for use of the Services; (c) understand that by the posting your personal information where it is accessible by other users of the Services you have manifestly made this information public, and this information may become available to other Site users and internet users, be copied and disseminated by them; (d) understand that some types of information transferred by you to other Service users cannot be deleted by you or us;
To summarize:
If you provide any information that is necessary, they have to be true (b).
Once you do, the information will be made available to the public, where it is made available to the public (c), e.g. avatar, user name, etc.
And once you do, the informaton might end up in a place that neither you nor my.com is able to delete it from (d).
[...]
We will also receive and pass this data, and our automatically processed analyses of this data to our affiliates and partners as set out in the table below and section 4 of this Privacy Policy.
To summarize:
Your data will be shared with affiliates and partners.
[...]
2 Information collected
Where necessary, a copy of your identity or  another document containing your name, surname, photograph, number of the principal identity document of you or your representative, payment details and another additional data, with that you may provide us, including through our support service. We may take additional verification steps where we consider reasonable in order to verify your account.
2 Purpose
We use this data in order to identify you, verify your account and prevent abuse and infringements of your or other persons' rights. For example, we use this information to verify your identity if you lose your credentials and wish to access your account with us.
To summarize:
You can provide personal information to re-gain access to your account if you cannot get back into it.
[...]
7 Information collected
Information that is created by you while placing requests to our Services support.
7 Purpose
We use this information in order to verify your identity and to fullfil your support request. We may also use this data in order to investigate any complaints on your behalf and to provide you with a more efficient service.
To summarize:
You can provide personal information to re-gain access to your account if you cannot get back into it.
[...]
10 Information collected
Data collected via third parties, including your social network ids, application store ids, nickname, email and friends list, when you register in our Services via you social or application store accounts and/or connect your social account to our Services.
10 Purpose
We use this information in order to manage and administer the Services provided to you. We use this information for certain social functions of our Services, such as to show you who of your friends play the same game as you. We also use this information in order to provide you with updates and information on our and selected third parties' products and services we think you may be interested in.
To summarize:
When you link your social accounts (e.g. Facebook or Twitter), carefully review the permissions you grant to my.com on that account. Only link that account to your my.com if you want to use those features!
3.5. Your personal information may also be processed if it is required by a law enforcement or regulatory authority, body or agency or in the defence or exercise of legal claims. We will not delete personal information if it is relevant to an investigation or a dispute. It will continue to be stored until those issues are fully resolved and/or during the term that is required and/or permissible under applicable/relevant law.
To summarize:
Obey the law. My.com has to provide your personal information to legally allowed enities, if any case is comming up against you.
3.7. Please note, if you do not want us to process sensitive and special categories of data about you (including data relating to your health, racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, and your sexual orientation) you should take care not to post this information or share this data on the Site. Once you have provided this data it will be accessible by other site users and it becomes difficult for us to remove this data.
To summarize:
Only provide the information you want others to see. You shouldn't provide information that nobody else should see.
4.3. We may also share your data with our third party contractors and application developers provided these third parties assume confidentiality obligations regarding your personal data collected by your use of the applications they offer.  The developers use the information provided to them in order to provide you with additional services. Data will only be shared with these developers with your consent. You can authorise developers to access your information via our products.
To summarize:
Your data will probably be shared with Intrepid Studios. Surprise!
6.1. We may  transfer and maintain on our servers or databases some of your personal information outside the European Economic Area (EEA) including in Russia.
6.2. The countries to which we transfer your data may not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction. We take reasonable cyber security measures and/or put in place the Standartd Contractual Clauses (e.g. Model Clauses, Data Processing Agreement/Addendum) to ensure your data is adequately protected.
To summarize:
Your data may see other places from the inside, like the US and Russia. Even if your data moves outside the EU, it should be protected as good as possible.
7.2. You may delete your personal  data by removing the data from your account; alternatively, you can delete your account.
To summarize:
Information you provided can also be deleted again, at least form the my.com servers.
8.1. You have the following rights, in certain circumstances, in relation to your personal information:
[...]
(c) Right to restrict the use of your personal information.
To summarize:
You can restrict the use of your personal information, but to what extent is unknown.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know what I respect more here....the awesome post formatting or the fact you poured over these documents for hours....

Great job! :smiley:
  • Options
    Herdo said:

For the password, it's kinda obvious that you shouldn't use password123 as your password.  
    Dammit, how’d you guess?! :(
  • Options
    This is some serious dedication :3 great job 
  • Options
    if im honest, i dont want to register myself to my.com so many negative news about them :|
  • Options
    This is some serious dedication :3 great job 
    @AutumnLeaf Thank you very much! Just took me about 4 hours to compile this :smiley:
    Atama said:
    Herdo said:

For the password, it's kinda obvious that you shouldn't use password123 as your password.  
    Dammit, how’d you guess?! :(
    @Atama You know, just like, watching through your webcam and stuff! ;)

• Options
    Good job!  I especially like the summations.  
  • Options
    Thank you for this.

Question. Are we allowed to trade ingame gold for ingame armor, weapon, materials?

Kinda got confused in there.
  • Options
    Thank you for this.

Question. Are we allowed to trade ingame gold for ingame armor, weapon, materials?

If you mean regular direct trading between characters then yes. The great thing about Ashes is that it tracks every transaction in real time and their background security vendors like Panopticon have reports that are generated for suspicious behavior. So don't use dupe exploits or buy an iron sword from a gold seller for a million gold and you won't pop up on their radar.
  • Options
    Thank you for this.

@gb1990gaming Yes, you are!
    As Unknown pointed out already, you are not allowed to trade cash shop items in-game, and you probably won't even have the possibility to.
    For the same reason, gifting won't be an option, neither.
  • Options
    Thanks alot for your time & work :) Will follow your advice and use a password manager.
  • Options
    Leave everything blank that isn't required and lie like a rug about everything possible.

Give them as little accurate info as you can.

If you have to give them a CC number then open a new one that is used ONLY for their website, lol.

Birthday?  January 1, 1875
  • Options
    Thanks for your effort!
  • Options
    thanks for this
  • Options
    Crymoar said:
    lie like a rug about everything possible.

Give them as little accurate info as you can.

Birthday?  January 1, 1875
    @Crymoar Don't do this!
    Crymoar said:
    Leave everything blank that isn't required
    Rather, do that! :wink:

When you provide false information, you're always risking of getting your account terminated.
    Even though it's unlikely - like, how do they want to even check? But yeah, IF they catch you, you might loose your account.
    Which sucks even more, as it would come down to the same thing as having it being stolen. :(

• Options
    Did they take the site down?

I'm getting Forbidden 403.
  • Options
    FliP said:
    Did they take the site down?

I'm getting Forbidden 403.
    @FliP Yeah, they took it down:

However, you can still access the FAQ right now: https://support.my.com/games/kb/AoC/?code=en_US

I guess it will be available, again, somewhen, soon (TM) :smiley:
  • Options
    Honestly, just thanks for doing this.
  • Options
    This is so confusing... I have some questions here...
    I bought the 375 dollars pack from ashesofcreation.com store by credit card payment method. In the account my order is shown as complete . I also received an email stating the same thing. I got 2 things to ask:
    1. I live in the EU. My bank acc only contains euros ... Will that be a problem since the price was only in dollars? Do I need to use this "my.com" at some point???
    2. So the order is shown as complete but what now? Did I pay for it? The transaction is over? And if yes what happens now ? What do I do with it? Will there be follow up messages or statuses shown on my acc section on ashesofcreation.com?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    I bought the 375 dollars pack from ashesofcreation.com store by credit card payment method. In the account my order is shown as complete . I also received an email stating the same thing. I got 2 things to ask:
    1. I live in the EU. My bank acc only contains euros ... Will that be a problem since the price was only in dollars? Do I need to use this "my.com" at some point???
    2. So the order is shown as complete but what now? Did I pay for it? The transaction is over? And if yes what happens now ? What do I do with it? Will there be follow up messages or statuses shown on my acc section on ashesofcreation.com?
    1. No this is not a problem. The currency conversion is handled by the bank associated with your credit card automatically. So while you may pay $375, the corresponding amount of Euros will be deducted/charged to your credit card at the exchange rate the bank is using at the time of that transaction. As to my.com there will be an option later that explains your choices to link your account to Intrepid NA or My.com EU. All will be made clearer later.
    2. The order shows complete, because the transaction is complete. Now you wait along with the rest of everyone else till sometime in the middle of next year for access to Alpha 2. Not Alpha 1 Phase 2, but Alpha 2. The start date of which has not been determined yet. You will also get a chance to test arena combat in the stress test following A1P1 when they open that particular experience to everyone who has an account on the website, paid and unpaid. That is as of now a limited time stress test that will occur between A1P1 and A1P2. Before the start of A2 you will receive an email with relevant instructions and so on. Make sure Intrepid Studios is on your safe list,often they are registered as spam by filters and some people have missed information because of that.
  • Options
    Herdo said:
    Hello everyone,

this thread will give you a detailed guide how to register for my.com, and how you handle your my.com data the best way possible.

Account Creation

To create an account, head over to https://aoc.my.com/en# and sign up. If you already have an account, you can skip the section Sign Up form, but should continue to get a better idea about how you should handle your my.com account.

In the sign up form, I highly recommend you to use the same email address that you used for your ashesofcreation.com account. With this, you will always have a connection between your previous purchases on your ashesofcreation.com account or kickstarter.com orders, and your new my.com account.
    For the password, it's kinda obvious that you shouldn't use password123 as your password. Rather than this, I highly recommend that you use a password manager, for multiple reasons:
    • You don't have to remember the password for AoC yourself, just the master password for the key safe
    • You can change your password every now and then, using the same settings
    • You can create fairly long and complex passwords, that probably will never show up in any database leak on the dark net
    Regarding available password managers and a comparison, please take a look at this techradar.com article. My personal recommendation: KeePass Password safe, it's one of the more complex ones, but highly customizable with plugins. Oh, and it's free.
    Regarding the password length, I recommend using a long password, above 20 characters. In generall, the longer, the better. The longer the password, the longer it will take for others to brute-force their way into your account!
    Regarding the password content, my.com allows the following characters:
    • A-Z (upper-case)
    • a-z (lower-case)
    • 0-9
    • - (minus)
    • _ (underline)
    • Special characters, like, but not limited to:
    This will give you some information that will give you a better idea of how your data will be handled, and what you have to watch out for when using my.com!
    • translate the Game Services into other languages, or create other derivative works from the Game Services;
    • attempt to circumvent any security measures adopted in the Game Services, including blocking access by IP-address;
    • distribute for commercial or non-commercial purposes the in-game currency and/or in-game valuables outside the framework of the gameplay process, transfer the right to use the Game Services for commercial or non-commercial purposes to third parties, including through the transfer of a game character or a login and password required to access the Main Account and/or Extra Account;
    • offensive or coarse terms, inciting ethnic discord and discrimination, words and phrases which include curses and expletives in any language, executed with letters of any alphabet;
    • proper names and other words and phrases used in religions or cults, which may cause insult of the feelings of believers (use in the name of the game clans and the game groups such common religious concepts (except for proper names) as "paradise", "hell", "angel", "devil", "voodoo", etc. is not prohibited. For example, the clan name of the group like "Team of devils" or "Voodoo dolls" corresponds to these Terms);
    • names of historical figures and politicians;
    • words and phrases that are directly or indirectly related to drugs, ways of their preparation, use and acquisition;
    • words and phrases which can mislead other users as to that the user, registered under such name, is a representative of My.com or otherwise has direct or indirect relation to it, or has any rights of administration of the Game Services;
    • unpronounceable letter combinations;
    • words and phrases that contain advertisement of goods and services, including any domain names and trademarks;
    • words and phrases that violate the rights of third parties (including but not limited to intellectual property rights) or the requirements of applicable law.
    [...]
    (c) Right to restrict the use of your personal information.
    ! $ % & / = ( ) . , : ; |
    After you committed the sign up form, check your e-mails and confirm the account creation.

Filling account information

You can change your account information here: https://account.my.com/profile/userinfo/
    Only provide the information you're comfortable sharing with my.com. As long as they don't need your real name for billing etc., don't provide it. Same goes for the date of birth. There's a lot of organizatios where your full name + date of birth are used as a "password" to grant you access to certain stuff. Don't provide either of those unless absolutely necessary!

Legal documents

If you skipped the account creation topic above, you should read on here again.

I'll summarize the most important parts of the legal documents that everybody of you should know and follow.

In any case, your legal partner is My.com B.V. located at Barbara Strozzilaan 201, 1083HN, Amsterdam, the Netherlands (taken from EU GAMES PRIVACY POLICY - 1.1).

Disclaimer

Please note that the quotes and summaries below are valid at the date and time of writing this (the dates of each documented stated below each header). Legal documents tend to change every now and then. If you have any concerns, please make sure you read the up-to-date document linked below each header!
    Also note that only the English version of these legal documents have legal effect! All the other languages are provided for your convenience only.
    Further, take note that these documents are referring to the GAMES section of my.com! Additionally to those, there's a general TOS and general EU privacy policy you might wanna read up to!

From the legal document "Terms of Use"

Link to current Terms of Use (quotes and summary from the April 27, 2018 version)
    3.2 From the moment of registration of a Main Account and/or an Extra Account  and/or downloading the certain part of the Game Services, depending on what happened earlier, My.com grants You a non-exclusive, non-transferable to third parties, limited license to use the Game Services, including all subsequent amendments and improvements (if any) for personal non-commercial purposes by obtaining access to the published by My.com, as well as downloading and installing the client portion of the Game Services (if any).
    To summarize:
    You're not allowed to sell or gift your account to third parties.
    3.3 Subject to compliance with the terms and conditions of these Terms, You are entitled to:
    [...]
    stream, record and publish video content of the gameplay of the Game Services for commercial and non-commercial reasons. For avoidance of doubt, You are entitled to include advertisements in such streaming/recorded video content and otherwise monetize such video content by means allowed by corresponding streaming or video sharing websites.
    To summarize:
    You're allowed to stream the game for commercial and non-commercial use.
    3.4 You are not permitted to:
    [...]
    [...]
    [...]
    To summarize:
    You're not allowed to translate the game, to use a proxy to access the game, or to share your account with others.
    4.8 You are prohibited to sublicense, sell or attempt to sell the in-game valuables for money, or exchange the in-game valuables for value of any kind outside of the Game Services. Any such transfer or attempted transfer is prohibited and void, and will subject Your Extra Account and/or Your access to the Game Services to termination.
    To summarize:
    You're not allowed to transfer or trade in-game items with other players.
    (B) Terms of choosing the name of the game character, the name of the clan, group, user name at the game forum
    The Users are prohibited from using as the name of the game character, name of the game clan or other group, as well as the name of the User at the forum the following designations:
    To summarize:
    Make sure your character and guild names apply to the rules above.
    10.4 Any claim You may have to My.com in connection with the use of Game Services shall be made within one year from the moment You knew or should have known about the violation of Your rights; otherwise presenting a claim is prohibited.
    To summarize:
    If you have any issue with my.com, you have to make claims within one year of knowing about that issue.

From the legal document "EULA"

Link to current EULA (quotes and summary from the April 27, 2018 version)
    4.2. The User hereby agrees that MY.COM B.V. may collect, store for an indefinite term and otherwise process anonymous information on use by the User of the Software, information on hardware and software installed on the User’s personal computer, and any other anonymous technical and statistical information, which the MY.COM B.V. needs in order to identify and eliminate problems with operation of the Software, to improve the Software, and for marketing purposes. Thereby, the User hereby agrees that MY.COM B.V. has the right to download software program files to User’s computer system, that will record CPU, RAM, operating system, video card, sound card and any other anonymous technical and statistical information from User’s computer.
    To summarize:
    The my.com client will, upon installation, send anonymous technical data to my.com. Additionally, the client may download additionaly software to obtain that data.
    8.  Applicable Law. Jurisdiction
    This EULA shall be governed by the laws of the England and Wales. All disputes arising in connection with this EULA should be resolved by the Parties without recourse to a court and, in case the Parties fail to come to agreement without recourse to a court, disputes shall be resolved by a court of relevant jurisdiction in the MY.COM B.V.’s location.
    To summarize:
    If you ever go into court with my.com, it will take place in the Netherlands.

From the legal document "Payment Terms"

Link to current Payment Terms (quotes and summary from the May 31, 2018 version)

In the following, AFS refers to Additional Function Set. Which comes down to cosmetics and other stuff that you can buy in the in-game store.
    5. The cost of use of the AFS may be  changed by My.com at any time and in its sole discretion upon a prior notice to the Users and/or a public announcement placed on the relevant pages of the Website or within the Game based on the provisions of the agreements for the relevant Services. The cost of previously acquired bundle of rights to use the AFS shall not be affected.
    To summarize:
    My.com is in charge of setting the prices for the AFS and may change those at any time. Previously acquired purchases are untouched of price changes.
    6. The User will receive the right to use the AFS when the payment for the selected services has actually reached that shall be deemed the time of depositing the funds determined by the specific rights to use the AFS of the Game selected by the User to the Personal Account of the User created within the Game (displayed as virtual currency at the internal rate of the Game), unless otherwise provided for by the agreement for the specific Game. The User hereby agrees that from the time of provision thereof with the right to use the AFS, the obligations of My.com to the User shall be deemed fulfilled in full and the funds deposited by the User shall become non-refundable (except as provided in clause 25).
    To summarize:
    Upon purchasing in-game currency, it's not refundable, except as provided in clause 25.
    7. For the purposes of payment for the rights of using the AFS, the User is offered multiple ways of making the payments, the conditions of use for  each of them are set forth in the relevant section of the Website.
    To summarize:
    There's more than one option to pay for the purchases (e.g. credit card, PayPal, etc.)
    12. The User shall keep the proof of payment for all the rights to use the AFS during the entire time of using the Game, and, at request of My.com, provide such documents, as well as information on the circumstances of such payment made by the User.
    To summarize:
    This is probably the most important thing to note!
    You, the player, have to keep proof of each and every payment you made.
    I highly recommend that you keep multiple backups (maybe printed) of your payments, even for those you made on the ashesofcreation.com account, which were transferred to the my.com account.
    14. The exclusive right for distribution of the AFS belongs to My.com, due to which neither offers of third parties on provision of rights to use the AFS shall be considered by the User as offers originated from My.com.
    To summarize:
    You cannot apply promotional codes (e.g. for seasonal costumes) from third parties to obtain any in-game content.
    15. In case My.com establishes that the User obtains access to the AFS from third parties, My.com shall be entitled, at its own discretion either to suspend or to limit the right of using the AFS, or terminate the access of the User to the Game. The provisions of this clause are not applicable for the cases when AFS was obtained via My.com’s Partners.
    To summarize:
    If you obtain in-game content from a third party, your account can be suspended. This excludes partners, e.g. Intrepid Studios!
    17. The User warrants and represents that User will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of its residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to its geography, or for any other purpose. If User does this, My.com may terminate User’s access to its Account without any prior notice.
    To summarize:
    If you use a proxy to disguise your location where you are playing or buying from, your account might end up being suspended.
    25. ALL CHARGES INCURRED IN CONNECTION WITH ANY GAME, AND ALL PURCHASES MADE WITHIN IT, ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, REGARDLESS OF THE PAYMENT METHOD USED BY THE USER, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS PAYMENT TERMS OR IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE LEGISLATION.
    IN ADDITION, THE CHARGES AND PURCHASES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN THE EVENT THE USER IS DISSATISTFIED WITH THE GAME (EXCEPT FOR USERS WHO RESIDE IN THE EUROPEAN UNION, AS PROVIDED IN THIS CLAUSE BELOW).
    IF YOU ARE A USER WHO RESIDES IN THE EUROPEAN UNION, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE PURCHASE TRANSACTION FOR DIGITAL CONTENT WITHOUT INCURRING A CHARGE AND WITHOUT GIVING ANY REASON THEREFOR, DURING THE TIME PERIOD OF FOURTEEN DAYS FROM THE DATE OF APPROPRIATE PURCHASE OR UNTIL MY.COM'S PERFORMANCE OF ITS OBLIGATIONS HAS COMMENCED WITH YOUR PRIOR EXPRESS CONSENT AND YOUR ACKNOWLEDGMENT THAT YOU THEREBY LOSE YOUR RIGHT OF CANCELLATION, WHICHEVER HAPPENS SOONER.
    ACCORDINGLY, YOU WILL BE INFORMED DURING THE CHECKOUT PROCESS WHEN OUR PERFORMANCE COMMENCES AND YOU WILL BE ASKED TO PROVIDE YOUR PRIOR EXPRESS CONSENT TO THE PURCHASE BEING FINAL.
    FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT AND NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THESE TERMS, ONCE YOU START USING ANY PURCHASED IN-GAME ITEM YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHT OF CANCELLATION AND REFUND.
    To summarize:
    As a citizen of the EU, you may refund within 14 days of the purchase (see quote for details). However, you loose your right to refund when you start using any purchased in-game item.

From the legal document "EU Games Privacy Policy"

Link to current EU Games Privacy Policy (quotes and summary from the April 25, 2018 version)
    2.1. By making available the Services we, acting reasonably and in good faith, believe that you:
    [...]
    (b) provide true information about yourself  to the extent necessary for use of the Services; (c) understand that by the posting your personal information where it is accessible by other users of the Services you have manifestly made this information public, and this information may become available to other Site users and internet users, be copied and disseminated by them; (d) understand that some types of information transferred by you to other Service users cannot be deleted by you or us;
    To summarize:
    If you provide any information that is necessary, they have to be true (b).
    Once you do, the information will be made available to the public, where it is made available to the public (c), e.g. avatar, user name, etc.
    And once you do, the informaton might end up in a place that neither you nor my.com is able to delete it from (d).
    [...]
    We will also receive and pass this data, and our automatically processed analyses of this data to our affiliates and partners as set out in the table below and section 4 of this Privacy Policy.
    To summarize:
    Your data will be shared with affiliates and partners.
    [...]
    2 Information collected
    Where necessary, a copy of your identity or  another document containing your name, surname, photograph, number of the principal identity document of you or your representative, payment details and another additional data, with that you may provide us, including through our support service. We may take additional verification steps where we consider reasonable in order to verify your account.
    2 Purpose
    We use this data in order to identify you, verify your account and prevent abuse and infringements of your or other persons' rights. For example, we use this information to verify your identity if you lose your credentials and wish to access your account with us.
    To summarize:
    [...]
    7 Information collected
    Information that is created by you while placing requests to our Services support.
    7 Purpose
    We use this information in order to verify your identity and to fullfil your support request. We may also use this data in order to investigate any complaints on your behalf and to provide you with a more efficient service.
    To summarize:
    [...]
    10 Information collected
    Data collected via third parties, including your social network ids, application store ids, nickname, email and friends list, when you register in our Services via you social or application store accounts and/or connect your social account to our Services.
    10 Purpose
    We use this information in order to manage and administer the Services provided to you. We use this information for certain social functions of our Services, such as to show you who of your friends play the same game as you. We also use this information in order to provide you with updates and information on our and selected third parties' products and services we think you may be interested in.
    To summarize:
    When you link your social accounts (e.g. Facebook or Twitter), carefully review the permissions you grant to my.com on that account. Only link that account to your my.com if you want to use those features!
    3.5. Your personal information may also be processed if it is required by a law enforcement or regulatory authority, body or agency or in the defence or exercise of legal claims. We will not delete personal information if it is relevant to an investigation or a dispute. It will continue to be stored until those issues are fully resolved and/or during the term that is required and/or permissible under applicable/relevant law.
    To summarize:
    Obey the law. My.com has to provide your personal information to legally allowed enities, if any case is comming up against you.
    3.7. Please note, if you do not want us to process sensitive and special categories of data about you (including data relating to your health, racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, and your sexual orientation) you should take care not to post this information or share this data on the Site. Once you have provided this data it will be accessible by other site users and it becomes difficult for us to remove this data.
    To summarize:
    Only provide the information you want others to see. You shouldn't provide information that nobody else should see.
    4.3. We may also share your data with our third party contractors and application developers provided these third parties assume confidentiality obligations regarding your personal data collected by your use of the applications they offer.  The developers use the information provided to them in order to provide you with additional services. Data will only be shared with these developers with your consent. You can authorise developers to access your information via our products.
    To summarize:
    Your data will probably be shared with Intrepid Studios. Surprise!
    6.1. We may  transfer and maintain on our servers or databases some of your personal information outside the European Economic Area (EEA) including in Russia.
    6.2. The countries to which we transfer your data may not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction. We take reasonable cyber security measures and/or put in place the Standartd Contractual Clauses (e.g. Model Clauses, Data Processing Agreement/Addendum) to ensure your data is adequately protected.
    To summarize:
    Your data may see other places from the inside, like the US and Russia. Even if your data moves outside the EU, it should be protected as good as possible.
    7.2. You may delete your personal  data by removing the data from your account; alternatively, you can delete your account.
    To summarize:
    Information you provided can also be deleted again, at least form the my.com servers.
    8.1. You have the following rights, in certain circumstances, in relation to your personal information:
    To summarize:
    You can restrict the use of your personal information, but to what extent is unknown.

Wow impressive work.

I just got though maybe 1 / 20th of it before I had a headache and had to stop LOL.

Good thing I don't live in EU not that I wouldn't want to tho definitely would love to visit and live in for a while in the future.

I do not envy all the die hard believers in AOC that have serious trust issues with My.Com .

Could just wait and see how it pans out never know either way how it will turn out, that being said if the game was being published by EA, UBIsoft or Daybreak in the US I would not touch it with a 10 foot unless after a significant amount of time they proved them elves though action. OMG hope a similar thing does not happen in the US.

I would much rather extend the release time by a year or 2 and find the proper company or the the ground work necessary to self publish and get the proper team together.

Ironic thing is My.Com by the sound of it is exactly the type of business that lead Steve to make AOC in the first place right?

I still hope but I'm in the wait and see what happens my self. Time reveals all.
  • Options
    @Dorje Thank you :smile:
    Just so you know, the actual documents have WAY more stuff than just the points I listed here. Those here could be seen as a FAQ, sort of :wink:

I don't think EA, Ubisoft, Daybreak or any other major and well established publisher would touch AoC.
    They always wanna have more and more share of the cake, including control about what goes on in the game.
    As Steven doesn't want any publisher to have control about the game's content and pricing model etc., I don't see those companies even close in the selection for publishing AoC, anywhere worldwide :relaxed::smiley:
  • Options
    1. No this is not a problem. The currency conversion is handled by the bank associated with your credit card automatically. So while you may pay $375, the corresponding amount of Euros will be deducted/charged to your credit card at the exchange rate the bank is using at the time of that transaction. As to my.com there will be an option later that explains your choices to link your account to Intrepid NA or My.com EU. All will be made clearer later.
    2. The order shows complete, because the transaction is complete. Now you wait along with the rest of everyone else till sometime in the middle of next year for access to Alpha 2. Not Alpha 1 Phase 2, but Alpha 2. The start date of which has not been determined yet. You will also get a chance to test arena combat in the stress test following A1P1 when they open that particular experience to everyone who has an account on the website, paid and unpaid. That is as of now a limited time stress test that will occur between A1P1 and A1P2. Before the start of A2 you will receive an email with relevant instructions and so on. Make sure Intrepid Studios is on your safe list,often they are registered as spam by filters and some people have missed information because of that.
    Wow! Thanks a lot that was very helpful!
  • Options
    question, i have the braver of worlds backer   so i will not have to " pay to play" as it included lifetime membership, do i still need to sign up?
  • Options
    If you are in the EU and are planning to play on the my.com servers then your account and any relevant benefits will transfer to my.com. Your lifetime sub will still apply just like if you were on the Intrepid NA servers.
  • Options
    Easiest Solution = Don't register for My.Com