Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Freehold Appearance | Notre Dame Cathedral | Charity

AlerionAshkoreAlerionAshkore Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Many of you may or may not know about the tragic events today. The Notre Dame Chapel caught fire. There is much damage done including the loss of the steeple and roof. But the more important damage is to the spirits of those who visit, worship, or reside in Paris. There are already plans as the fire still burns to rebuild the Chapel from its ashes.

I would like to see Intrepid Studios have a limited time charity event to support the rebuilding of the Notre Dame Cathedral. I don't know the effects it may have on development or the resources it may take from development. I am also aware it is very early in the studio's life but i think this would be good for many reasons.

Firstly, the most obvious, the benefit it could provide to the reconstruction in Paris.
Secondly, the most obvious, gathering the community behind a cause is something i feel is well needed and beneficial.
Thirdly, an awesome cosmetic inspired by such an iconic structure hat would fit very well in the world of Verra.
Lastly, i think it may result in positive publicity for Intrepid and attract new eyes to their studio and show their passion is not limited just to MMOs.

I would love to hear more thoughts on the event from the community.

Comments

• Options
    AlerionAshkoreAlerionAshkore Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    AlerionAshkore
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    I agree with we should help the people of France but the fact you want a Skin! to me that's appalling.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    seaberseaber Member, Intrepid Pack
    ue05t2qd2hs21.jpg
    dragon says no
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ^ i approve
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • Options
    nagash wrote: »
    I agree with we should help the people of France but the fact you want a Skin! to me that's appalling.

I feel that with a freehold appearance the event will be memorialized within the game and serve as a reminder of the communities efforts. And whether or not someone buy's in support, or just for another cool appearance, it would support reconstruction. You can use a person's selfish desires to fund a selfless endeavor. Or you can be rewarded for your kindness with a small thank you. Regardless of the perspective i look at it i see this to be beneficial on all fronts.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No to sound cold, but if the Catholic Church can pay to cover up hundreds of scandals of sexual misconduct, it can pay to replace a roof.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    All I see is you wanting a skin and the fact that you are using the damage caused to Notre Dame to make this point makes me sick. I don't care what reason you give to defend your view It just not right!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Karthos wrote: »
    No to sound cold, but if the Catholic Church can pay to cover up hundreds of scandals of sexual misconduct, it can pay to replace a roof.

I do believe they can afford the endeavor without help. However, it will be a very significant cost. Additionally it is still something i would hope to see people rally behind who would like to. Thank you for your thoughts!
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Not to add fuel to this fire but no.
  • Options
    makinoji wrote: »
    Not to add fuel to this fire but no.

your dang clever puns!
  • Options
    sylsyl Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Though I think it would be very sweet of them to organize a charity for the church, I think Intrepid should not be 'reacting' to it. Like - it would be nice, but it would be unnecessary. The Church, the French government and French/international charity organisations will do what they usually (should or should not) do.
    forum_sig2.png
    Come take a look at ashesofcreation.wiki!
  • Options
    I can see your point here.
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would rather see charity money go to people that need it than to rebuild a cathedral.
  • Options
    Honestly i think it was a blessing for it to burn. it was all in all, a safety violation on all accords. out with the old and in with the CRUSADES! DEUS VULT! DEUS VULT!
  • Options
    teyloune wrote: »
    I would rather see charity money go to people that need it than to rebuild a cathedral.

I can agree with that. While still horrible for such a thing to happen to such an iconic building, its status does not put it above those in more need of help. I hope to see Intrepid do charity fundraising for future tragedies as well, or currently ongoing issues within the world.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    nick10281 wrote: »
    Honestly i think it was a blessing for it to burn. it was all in all, a safety violation on all accords. out with the old and in with the CRUSADES! DEUS VULT! DEUS VULT!

can you share any specific violations? I'm interested.
  • Options

I can agree with that. While still horrible for such a thing to happen to such an iconic building, its status does not put it above those in more need of help. I hope to see Intrepid do charity fundraising for future tragedies as well, or currently ongoing issues within the world.

For goodness sake they are a game company not a charity. If you want to help the world then do so, just don't drag us into it.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I hear Needletail is good for a few bucks
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I agree with this post. We are all part of the same world and I feel sad for the people of Paris. Notre Dame is an iconic church known all over the world. It's such a shame it burned down. If the Eiffel Tower burned down I would feel just as sad. The cosmetic doesn't bother me. It's a way to raise funds like a cake at a bake sale. All proceed go to rebuild the church. @alerionashkore is not greedy or selfish, they are just trying to offer a solution. alerionashkore is a good person full of caring and compassion.
    fNX2ISa.png

• Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I thought only evil cults were peddled here, wait, never mind.

*horrid rant redacted*

I think it's a tragedy a historical structure was burned. I don't think it's anywhere close to all the other atrocities that plague the world daily and likely deserve more attention.

If IS wants to honor this event, they should consider something more appropriate than a skin to populate their fantasy world where that particular god does not exist.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    To most people, it's not the Catholic church, it's an historical landmark and tourist attraction. It's an outstanding structure and is iconic for most of the world.

When I was in France we were told that the clergy were state employees, and most of the population was not religious. So maybe that might help calm down resentment toward helping the Catholic church.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Probably not a good idea right now
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    OK
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    sunfrog wrote: »
    I agree with this post. We are all part of the same world and I feel sad for the people of Paris. Notre Dame is an iconic church known all over the world. It's such a shame it burned down. If the Eiffel Tower burned down I would feel just as sad. The cosmetic doesn't bother me. It's a way to raise funds like a cake at a bake sale. All proceed go to rebuild the church. @alerionashkore is not greedy or selfish, they are just trying to offer a solution. alerionashkore is a good person full of caring and compassion.

Bess you, kind sir.
  • Options
    BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    viva la baguette
  • Options
    FulltimeWifeFulltimeWife Member, Intrepid Pack
    It sure has been a loss of great historic architecture , But being a atheist i believe that a game studio and game community should not support a specific religion or anything that is close related to it. Not only will it not intrest those with different religions, it might actually piss them off no joke xD
    wxkas80nggsz.gif
  • Options
    amuriaamuria Member, Intrepid Pack
    I don't think that this would either rally the community, which can be seen by this post. The likely hood that AOC will gain much public attention with it is also doubtful.

What I see as a result would be required extra work which wasn't planned in possibly causing further delays in monthly news/cosmetics/development. The community is already unhappy with the current delays increasing these further isn't a good trade in my view. People payed money for a product not to fund global help so I doubt it resonates well.

Though I do not agree with calling your proposal disgusting maybe it is better to be pursued by a different company.
  • Options
    amuria wrote: »
    I don't think that this would either rally the community, which can be seen by this post. The likely hood that AOC will gain much public attention with it is also doubtful.

What I see as a result would be required extra work which wasn't planned in possibly causing further delays in monthly news/cosmetics/development. The community is already unhappy with the current delays increasing these further isn't a good trade in my view. People payed money for a product not to fund global help so I doubt it resonates well.

Though I do not agree with calling your proposal disgusting maybe it is better to be pursued by a different company.

I have no problem with helping people but it the fact that he wants a skin is what annoyed me. Maybe im just cynical but I find it in very bad taste
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    amuriaamuria Member, Intrepid Pack
    nagash wrote: »
    I have no problem with helping people but it the fact that he wants a skin is what annoyed me. Maybe im just cynical but I find it in very bad taste

I didn't think you do nor do I intend to imply so. I just don't see selfishness as disgusting since it is something everyone has in them to a certain extent. Motivating good behaviour with selfishness is nothing new and worked before.
  • Options
    Easylife wrote: »
    It sure has been a loss of great historic architecture , But being a atheist i believe that a game studio and game community should not support a specific religion or anything that is close related to it. Not only will it not intrest those with different religions, it might actually piss them off no joke xD

I had not thought of that. I myself don't follow any religion but i am still touched by the event. I hadn't considered that someone who not only doesn't subscribe to catholic beliefs, but has beliefs in a another religion, would be very upset.