Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Pet / Mount Combo!?!?!

AtliAtli Member, Warrior of Old
As an RPer, something that bugs me just a little is dismounting from my large bear mount and POOF, he/she just disappears. Furthermore, my mini pet just POOF appears when I dismount. So I understand the reasoning behind this- mini pets running at the speed of a mount behind your character would be weird and could add strain to the game.

What I would love to see as an option instead are pet skins that look exactly like my mount, so when I dismount, you might see the mount disappear and the pet appear, but it's the same creature, so the transition is minimal and I get to maintain the immersion that the large animal I rode in on is following me around! I've only managed similar feats with SWTOR Nexu Companion / Mount (similar skins).

While I'm not interested in this as much, a beastmaster might also really enjoy their pet and mount combo interacting... almost like an idle flourish- a momma bear mount and a baby bear mini pet could nuzzle each other, for example.

Would anyone else be interested in seeing Ashes do this?!?! Can you think of other ways you would like the mount and pet system interact?

jgyClWy.jpg

Comments

• Options
    LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    Now nothings been guaranteed and what I'm about to tell you is a guess at best, but judging by some of the things that have already been said about mounts in the game leads me to think they're entities onto themselves. They're not like WoW mounts where you pull them out of your pocket and away you go. We know they have 'stamina', and when they run out of 'stamina' you can't ride them for a time until they get it back. We also know there will be a number of mounts with several seats on them.

So mounts likely follow you around as a full-sized NPC mob, so people can attack it and potentially knock it out. This is how it was done in ArchAge, and as we all know Steven played a lot of that game. Defeated mounts had to be healed before you could ride them effectively. They'd limp and only have a tiny sliver of health.
  • Options
    AtliAtli Member, Warrior of Old
    Lyiat wrote: »
    Now nothings been guaranteed and what I'm about to tell you is a guess at best, but judging by some of the things that have already been said about mounts in the game leads me to think they're entities onto themselves. They're not like WoW mounts where you pull them out of your pocket and away you go. We know they have 'stamina', and when they run out of 'stamina' you can't ride them for a time until they get it back. We also know there will be a number of mounts with several seats on them.

So mounts likely follow you around as a full-sized NPC mob, so people can attack it and potentially knock it out. This is how it was done in ArchAge, and as we all know Steven played a lot of that game. Defeated mounts had to be healed before you could ride them effectively. They'd limp and only have a tiny sliver of health.

I hope that's the case, but I wouldn't put too much faith on just the fact they have stamina. ESO has a stamina system for their mounts too, and they disappear, unfortunately. Still, we can hope yes? :wink:
    jgyClWy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Atli wrote: »

I hope that's the case, but I wouldn't put too much faith on just the fact they have stamina. ESO has a stamina system for their mounts too, and they disappear, unfortunately. Still, we can hope yes? :wink:

While that may be the case, does ESO also heavily rely in trading commodities and transporting them? Not to my knowledge. AoC will have mounts especially for that task, which I believe we're currently calling 'mule'-type mounts. If you could just hide those in your pocket, then the resources they're holding would become very easy to transport safely. It wouldn't make sense for it not to be a live entity.
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In BDO when I was traveling on my carriage, my cat would sit beside me on the bench. I would like that our pets would ride with us; like on the rump or pummel of mounts, sometimes on our shoulders, or on benches, etc.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    perseus01perseus01 Member
    edited April 2019
    Dude, weird idea for BeastMaster, but like when he gets full level and has a stacked/legendary pet. Make it to where when he summons him, he comes out of some misty smoke and does a sound and or action....? Riight? Like really Immersed. Crazy eyes and stuff.

Bro, and make a badass opening cut-scene in the intro video for him and you got everything about WoW whipped with some added hype.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What if, as a summoner, you lay an egg and that births your creature?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    perseus01perseus01 Member
    edited April 2019
    Karthos wrote: »

Let's just keep with the dragon eggs for now. But I think I can your see your imagining here. Like drop it and a little rumble and crack happens with pieces of shell flying up? That would be kinda cool.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

@Karthos You could just throw them at your enemies

a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    No I mean literally the summoner lays the egg.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options

No i mean it would be easier to just throw the eggs at your enemies.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

Like a monkey flinging poo!!
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

Like a monkey flinging poo!!

Exactly!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    This thread got weird.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This thread got weird.

welcome to the ashes of creation forums ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    edited April 2019
    In simurgh’s recent video with Steven, Steven mentions being unable to summon and Unsummon your mounts and pets. Although I hope we can’t unsummon them if they have items in their inventory...that could easily lead to an inventory space exploit.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    This thread got weird.

welcome to the ashes of creation forums ^^

Why thank you.

I'm new here!
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Sivanna wrote: »
    In simurgh’s recent video with Steven, Steven mentions being unable to summon and Unsummon your mounts and pets. Although I hope we can’t unsummon them if they have items in their inventory...that could easily lead to an inventory space exploit.

Dude, I totally missed this! Thanks!
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One

What was first, the Summoner or the Egg ?
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

You have some wierd kinks my friend c: