Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should hippogryphs move their legs while flying

infernomiesterinfernomiester Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
In the title

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes.

a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Depends on what you mean by move, I don't think they should be static and just hang there, but I also don't think they should move like it's running on land that just looks weird.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    Who are we to assume command of their limbs?

Are we God?!?!?!
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited May 2019
    Yes, if the legs were static while flying it would look really weird
  • Options
    AtliAtli Member, Warrior of Old
    edited May 2019
    In the clip, I feel like they moved too much, but I agree that static is also odd looking. I imagine any creature that has legs, like birds, seek to tuck them in if only to make flight more aerodynamic. When said legs are too large to fully tuck in, I presume the beast would do it to the best of their ability without it being uncomfortable. A little leg shaking from wing flap would presumably be expected.
    jgyClWy.jpg
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I’m gonna chop off mine and replace them with retractable landing gear.

It’s more efficient.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I liked the animation, it makes some sense to me that they would occasionally gallop out of habit. If I had wings and could fly I would probably move my arms and legs a bit.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    Steven SharifSteven Sharif Moderator, Staff
    It will be dialed back a bit and more subtle, but the reference I gave to animation was to have some representation during flight of the horses Gallup intermittently 😉
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited May 2019
    Love the attention to detail -
    -the positioning of all 4 legs when they're not moving during a glide is perfect and very natural (they converge and curl rather than all hanging limp)
    -the slight wing, tail, and torso movement along with the quick head turns when idle on the ground all work so nicely together

Props to the team @Steven Sharif !
  • Options
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban shows us how a Hippogriff should fly.
    wasikovee
  • Options
    I hate the animation that has them galloping on air rather than using their wings. It's always bothered me, in the movies and in games.

Legs should be tucked up, but not completely immobile. Maybe a bit of bob when the wings flap (it shows muscle contraction in the body), but not in running position. Aside from being a waste of energy, it's not aerodynamic and it makes them look slow.
  • Options
    AtliAtli Member, Warrior of Old
    AurumVitae wrote: »
    I hate the animation that has them galloping on air rather than using their wings. It's always bothered me, in the movies and in games.

Legs should be tucked up, but not completely immobile. Maybe a bit of bob when the wings flap (it shows muscle contraction in the body), but not in running position. Aside from being a waste of energy, it's not aerodynamic and it makes them look slow.

Exactly what I said. I understand we're wanting a fantasy game, but if that fantasy game is based on some standard of physics, then what enhanced believe-ability of a world is the attention to details like this- aerodynamics is key. The air gallop animation makes sense when the animal is taking off, but sustained flight needs those babies tucked in, haha!
    jgyClWy.jpg
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    I would be worried my Hippogryph was having some sort of seizure if it started doing this mid flight.

Take a look at large birds how they use their legs during flight, mostly tucked up our of the way to help with aerodynamics, but are also used like rudders and keeping the bird stable so they definitely should be moving.

Galloping as if on the ground just looks odd :lol:
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, it makes it more beliveable and we also move our arms while walking so it fits.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    autumnleaf wrote: »
    Yes, it makes it more beliveable and we also move our arms while walking so it fits.

That's very true
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    caedwyncaedwyn Member
    ravudha wrote: »
    Yes, if the legs were static while flying it would look really weird

IM SORRY have you ever seen a bird fly while jiggling their feet randomly ?
    THAT seems even weirder XD
    and quite horrific XD
  • Options
    caedwyncaedwyn Member
    i think its limbs should move at a certain limit.
    for example, do you see a dragon move its legs while flying ?? no!
    try it yourself, try moving your hands in a wing motion and move your feet and tell me which one do YOU prefer to do if you were to do it a LOT.

it should not be static but it should not constantly move either.
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    autumnleaf wrote: »

giphy.gif

No arm movement required for walking :grin:
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    All Verra air traffic is regulated by the Ministry of Silly Flying.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    They look as if they walk on thin air which makes for a goofy look.(and their heads look funny)
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Birds aren't creatures with four legs that can be used for running, digging, etc. so I am not sure of the comparison. I too would like minimal moving and not a constant 'running on air' appearance, but depending on the length of flight having to keep all four limbs 'tucked' might be a strain, if we wanted to invoke biology with the invocation of some physics.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    AhsokaTanoAhsokaTano Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    it looks really weird. as soon as i saw it, i got a running on an invisible road gallop type thing going.

i however am just one. thanks for the post though. i like the rest of the visual design
    x75zturis6k01.jpg

Ahsoka, out
  • Options
    Lord BlackghostLord Blackghost Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No.