Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What About an Apex Style Ping System

For those that don't know Apex is an FPS BR that got super popular in no small part because of its simple and highly useful ping system. You can ping locations/enemies/loot to quickly convey information to your group with a single key without having to use voice chat or typing.

So, would a system like that be useful in AoC? With the action combat the speed of information with pings could definitely be helpful, particularly in PvP.

Would it take out too much of the team building aspect of the game? Would it make PUGs easier? Would it make trolls trollier? Would it help people who don't normal group because they don't like to talk/type group more?

What about if each class got a specific ping type? Everyone gets the basics but Scouts give enemy information, tanks have a longer duration and can place multiples for positions, healers can place lasting numbered markers on allies, dps can place lasting numbered markers on opponents, etc etc.

They could be used in place of those big glaring A/B/C markers or to flag main tank/assist/burn targets and so forth.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really like the idea of an active visual ping system. It would make things in raids a lot easier tbh ^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I consider target markers to be necessary for group play, so I'd want to see those at the very least.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Setting markers has been a mainstay of MMOs for over a decade at this point, with most games at least let you tag/mark enemies/friends to distinguish them.

There's also the mini-map ping, or map marker ability that's very common as well. When I raided Burning Crusade (WoW) we had an add-on that would allow the raid leader to shoot out tons of info and markers, as well as color code them to mean different things. (DBM maybe??)

I agree it's super useful, but nothing beats voice communication in my opinion for conveying info. I'm still shocked to this day when people miss a giant bright orange marker on their screen literally pinging where they need to go.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    karthos wrote: »
    Setting markers has been a mainstay of MMOs for over a decade at this point, with most games at least let you tag/mark enemies/friends to distinguish them.

There's also the mini-map ping, or map marker ability that's very common as well. When I raided Burning Crusade (WoW) we had an add-on that would allow the raid leader to shoot out tons of info and markers, as well as color code them to mean different things. (DBM maybe??)

I agree it's super useful, but nothing beats voice communication in my opinion for conveying info. I'm still shocked to this day when people miss a giant bright orange marker on their screen literally pinging where they need to go.

In my experience, a combination of voice communication and markers is the most efficient. Back when I played Guildwars competitively, we had a very easy to use system. By selecting a "priority target", everyone in the party could press a hotkey ("T" was default) to select that priority target and all attack together. This meant you didn't have to say who the target is in voice chat, allowing you to say other things instead without causing confusion.

Since I used mainly spike comps where everyone targetted the same mob and aimed to kill them in a single burst, this system made things really fast. Set the priority target, say "3,2,1 spike" in voice chat and the target would die.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    karthos wrote: »

I think the idea here is to implement active and responsive pings instead of static marks.
    The goal would be to be supportive of voice communication (instead of trying to describe the place you can just do a fast ping and tell everyone to focus on the ping)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm fine with it, just make it a spell utility for the ranger classes.
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think any MMO needs to have some method of marking targets and/or locations, in wow before the location markers were added I always just used colored smoke flares to mark different locations people needed to move to for various mechanics.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    this sounds cool but i dont see a real use for it in a MMO
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    arzosah wrote: »
    I think any MMO needs to have some method of marking targets and/or locations, in wow before the location markers were added I always just used colored smoke flares to mark different locations people needed to move to for various mechanics.

We all did. It was just about the only way to get people to do the dance properly in Naxx.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There was no helping some people, some people just can't dance.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    gungun Member
    A very good system especially if you aren't playing with friends you can voice chat with.
    death to he who cross me