We are happy to announce that starting August 20, 2019 at 11:00 AM PDT the Divine Gateways will open once more for limited Apocalypse testing sessions! For more information, check out our FAQ here: https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2019-08-14-steam-announce-and-play-test-faq-for-ashes-of-creation-apocalypse

The Crafter's Eclipse

leonerdoleonerdo Member, Settler
edited May 25 in General Discussion
Now that we have info on the Economic and Scientific node types, it has become clear that both are rather important for Crafting.

Scientific nodes will offer all sorts of crafting recipes, enhancement/enchantment materials, "mastery qualifications", freehold buffs, info on resource and monster locations, legendary item doodads, etc. (There's a lot of stuff in the blog post and I'm honestly not sure what all of it mean.) And of course, economic nodes will offer better markets for buying materials, selling products, and transporting both.

SO! It makes sense that any truly dedicated crafters will want to settle down as close as they can get to these nodes. And so I present, the Crafter's Eclipse: ZL7ZENa.png
(Okay, so it's more of a peanut now, but it was an eclipse in earlier formulations. And Eclipse sounds cooler.)

This is how I imagine crafters will flock to, and place freeholds around, any pair of economic and scientific nodes. To quickly explain, the overall brightness of a spot, the better that spot is overall, and the more likely it will be to find a freehold there. And naturally, the color changes to indicate how much the position favors one node over the other.

Obviously, the areas directly adjacent to a node are highly prized. The areas on the border between the nodes are also fairly decent, especially if you want to visit both of them regularly.

The biggest question however, is which node you think is most useful to you, and therefore which you will pledge yourself to. If you prefer to play the markets, trade for most of your materials, and make a pretty profit, then the Economic node is right for you. But if you prefer to do things yourself, then the Scientific node offers assistance in finding what you need in the open-world, as well as learning your craft to it's highest potential.
____________________________________________________________________________________

I have made one particular assumption, which you may object to: Which ever node you choose to be a citizen of is probably more important to you, and therefore it's proximity is more valued. That's why there's a peanut shape. But if you value both nodes equally, the shape is elliptical, and the area that is straight between the nodes is all prime real estate. Here's a little gif, showing the difference that assumption makes: kM3bxAR.gif
It was this idea of a Crafter's Lane, all the way between the two node, that inspired me to make these graphics in the first place. But I think now that it is better to favor one node and huddle around it, making occasional trips to the other when necessary.

Anywho, I know that this is all rather obvious, but I thought it would be fun to make a more accurate visual for it. I hope you've enjoyed this little look into the Crafter's Eclipse. May your weapons be sharp, your armor sturdy, your potions potent, your studies enriching, and your profits free-flowing!

Seriously though, I spent way too long on this... I'm going to make this my forum icon, because "no ragrets"

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member
    Im gonna live inside the Scientific metropolis. Why? Because if i need to get to an economic node i can just port to the nearest node in my zoi and walk from there. Also: only the scientific metropolis will have relic/legendary workbenches!
    uQHKizC.gif
  • WololoWololo Member, Leader of Men
    Nice representation of 2 nodes ! The dedicated crafters at scientific nodes will surely have much use of being close to a economic node. But with both the nodes having very diverse benefits it would not suprise me that once we have info on divine and militaristic ; This might become a 4-way-choise to make :o
    Wololo.png
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder
    This is all assuming that there will be a scientific node right next to an economic node and that there are enough resources in the zones of influence to make it worth setting up shop there. After all, there's no point in setting up a freehold in an economic node if the resources you need for your trade aren't in your zone of influence.

Also, if I'm reading the information on the wiki correctly, you won't be able to have 2 level 6 nodes right next to each other, so it will be a matter of players deciding whether they want a level 6 Economic node, or a level 6 Scientific node. The value of each node type's superpower will depend on the distribution of resources and node types across the world.
  • leonerdoleonerdo Member, Settler
    Also, if I'm reading the information on the wiki correctly, you won't be able to have 2 level 6 nodes right next to each other, so it will be a matter of players deciding whether they want a level 6 Economic node, or a level 6 Scientific node.

This will be true once we have level 6 nodes. But it might take a while for those to develop. And besides, that vast majority of nodes will not be level 6, since only 5 nodes at a time can be a metropolis, and there will be dozens of other nodes. (If someone could fact check me on that, it would be appreciated.) So I made this with all tiers in mind.

This does bring up a good question though. Once we start seeing metropolises being completed, will a lot of players choose to move into them, even if it means abandoning their current home? And if so how many citizens can a metropolis really support? I imagine at the very least, that the players who are focused more on gathering their own supplies will want to stay further away from civilization. That way they would have less competition for the good gathering/farming spots.

One last thing to note: While the teleportation from a scientific node is obviously powerful (you can just teleport to economic nodes and make my distance graph irrelevant), it's not quite clear yet how powerful the economic metropolis is. We're especially in the dark about how much of its power is restricted to citizens only.

Personally I think its ability to collate the prices of trade all across the world may secretly be the strongest ability, at least for dedicated profiteers. Some rare gems won't end up on the auction house (or they will already be heavily marked up) after all, but they will show up on the Metropolis' audits. (Assuming I'm reading the blog post correctly.) And then it's up to the entrepreneur to travel to the secluded lands where those commodities are found, to either buy them at cheaper prices or gather them himself, cutting out the middleman.

If only he could scout those opportunities AND teleport to them immediately! But that I think is where the crucial dilemma lies, because you may need to be a citizen to access each of those abilities.
  • whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder
    I plan on setting up my freehold somewhere between a scientific and economic node so I can be a readily available mercenary for the entire area of nodes :smiley:
  • grisugrisu Member
    @wanderingmist I think it is possible to have 2 metropolises "next" to each other since the world itself is seperated into 5 regions to dictate only 1 metropolis per region. - quote some stream
    It's entirely possible that it also reaches over the meta region, but it would be weird since the zoi shouldn't expand into the other region otherwise the whole meta region thing is somewhat? pointless.

This would take a lot of meta gaming tho to find out where those borders are since we are certainly not getting told. It's possible to happen by chance but I wouldn't count on that and it would take months to years to test it all out.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. Grisu
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. Zekece#1819
    @leonerdo Higher level players will most definitely be drawn to level 6 nodes, as the zone of influence advances along with the node itself. Intrepid have implied that high level mobs and rare resources will only be available around high level nodes.
    edited May 25
    @grisu From what I understand as a node advances, its zone of influence increases in size, but the nodes are still at fixed points on the map, and you cannot have 2 level 6 nodes sitting right next to each other. Think of it as if the nodes are the capital cities and the zones of Influence are countries in the real world. In WWII London, Paris and Berlin were all at fixed positions in the world. When Germany invaded France they were effectively expanding their zone of influence to cover that area, but the distance between London and Berlin never changed.

If you want to travel from one node to another, the distance is the same no matter how big the zone of influence is. That is my interpretation of what we have been told, but I could be completely wrong of course.
  • grisugrisu Member
    edited May 25
    (...)as a node advances, its zone of influence increases in size, but the nodes are still at fixed points on the map(...)

Yes, but the zoi is directed. It doesn't just wildly go off into one direction forever but moves in a bigger meta zone.
    Like let's say there are a total of 100 influence zones(aka possible camp placement zones. 20 zones are bunched together into one region and if a node pops up and advances, it's influence will grow in this region of 20 total zones only.
    So a node that pops up HAS to fight for <<those>> 20 zones with other nodes in the same region instead of the 20 zones directly around wherever the node popped up.

I think it is to prevent weird/blackhole zoi spreads long term when new nodes pop up/advance/fall and rearrange zois.
    I hope I could somewhat explain what I mean, I could do a series of low quality drawings to show it more hands on.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. Grisu
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. Zekece#1819
  • leonerdoleonerdo Member, Settler
    @grisu I feel like this is exactly the kind of stuff that will be in the Nodes Part 3 video, whenever that eventually gets made/released...