Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why Anime related content wont fit into AOC.

BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
Within the last 5 years, there has been an increased influence of eastern themed trends within western society, especially when it comes to gaming and online entertainment. Anime related content can be found all over western games and eastern publishers push their games more and more into the west on console, mobile, and pc.

So why does anime related content not fit within Ashes, as far as I can recall (and correct me if I am wrong) Intrepid wants to bring back the old school feels of an MMORPG and one big subject of that goal will be immersion. In western fantasy games, the amount of ****, fox girl, or stripper armor is zero and you have more focus on Lore as well as relatable characters.

As we can see on our discord we already have members oversexualizing Ashes related characters like Tulnar and so on, In my opinion, Ashes wants to draw a straight Line in the sand and say we are not Like that. Having things like listed above allows the game to become something that is more like an outlet for fetishes than a MMORPG. We do know **** are not in Ashes, in your opinion should Ashes allow more Anime and eastern trends or should they just straight up, stay away from all that.

Comments

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I know who you're referring to on the Ashes Discord, and do you really think that those people truly wish to fetishise the Tulnar? Or do you think it's more likely they do it because they know it provokes a reaction in people like yourself?

Regardless, I'm sure Steven is well aware of the fanservice trends that tend to crop up and will not let Ashes slip too far.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    I know who you're referring to on the Ashes Discord, and do you really think that those people truly wish to fetishise the Tulnar? Or do you think it's more likely they do it because they know it provokes a reaction in people like yourself?

Regardless, I'm sure Steven is well aware of the fanservice trends that tend to crop up and will not let Ashes slip too far.

Since I reduced my interactions with the discord by at least half compared to the earlier years I doubt this is the case. Otherwise the people that you think I am referring to would be the biggest trolls on the discord. :P and between you and me I see stuff on the discord sometimes that just turns me off from even getting involved.

Agree, I hop it wont slip at all :)
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    While I don't think most anime themes would fit into the world of ashes, I believe that some inspiration from anime/manga would not be a problem as long as it makes sense for the world. The main problem is people think anime/manga is just catgirls and bad isekais (which I get) yet some of the best world-building and writing can come from these (berserk) the problem is not so much the genre but the fans who make it odd which can be said of anything really.

nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    While I don't think most anime themes would fit into the world of ashes, I believe that some inspiration from anime/manga would not be a problem as long as it makes sense for the world. The main problem is people think anime/manga is just catgirls and bad isekais (which I get) yet some of the best world-building and writing can come from these (berserk) the problem is not so much the genre but the fans who make it odd which can be said of anything really.

I would argue that berserk has his inspiration from other things, like the Viking and eastern European lore and so on.
  • Options

I would argue that berserk has his inspiration from other things, like the Viking and eastern European lore and so on.

agreed it does take inspiration from other things but the golden age arc is mainly based on the 100-year war. The point I was making is not all anime is bad in some cases it can epic.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

agreed it does take inspiration from other things but the golden age arc is mainly based on the 100-year war. The point I was making is not all anime is bad in some cases it can epic.

I would agree but, as I stated in recent years the trend has gone in the other way.
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Anime covers a large variety of both good and bad ideas that can be implemented aesthetically and game mechanic-wise into an MMO world. I agree that the common anime tropes of ****, stripper armor, etc. should not be as prominent as many of AoC's other systems, but if we take away the fx. gross sexualisation of underage girls and look at it from a perspective of deities that are not dressed sexually, but perhaps are still powerful and look younger than they actually are, I think it could make for some interesting storytelling.

Anime, just like any other cartoon form draw from a place of imagination and stories and there are plenty of ways that elements of the genre can be incooperated without it needing to be sexualisation or fetishisation of certain groups of people.

I am a huge fan of the anime movies made by Studio Ghibli, especially Howl's Moving Castle, as there are so many fantastical and whimsical elements that I find myself enjoying in MMO's also. Both anime and online videogames often provide an escape from the real world and should most certainly be able to draw inspiration from one another.
  • Options

I would agree but, as I stated in recent years the trend has gone in the other way.

I blame the fans more than anything else to be honest
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

I mean yeah of course, no doubt about that.
  • Options

So, what I'm getting from this is that you aren't adverse to anime itself, but rather to very specific trends found in some anime.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

So, what I'm getting from this is that you aren't adverse to anime itself, but rather to very specific trends found in some anime.

bingo and those trends making it into games since it increases a possible player base.
  • Options
    So if it was trends that fit ashes you would be ok with that?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

Which anime trends do you think would work in Ashes?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

the in-depth world-building I would say is the number one thing but the character design in some cases
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

If that case would ever present itself maybe, but since Ashes is going for more western type of look i highly doubt this will happen.

None.
  • Options
    trends don't just mean looks you know? it could be the type of storytelling, monster or locations.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    trends don't just mean looks you know? it could be the type of storytelling, monster or locations.

If you can find something that has not been done before or isn't based on something from the past maybe.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

If you can find something that has not been done before or isn't based on something from the past maybe.

so if we had oni or kappas in ashes near the Ren'Kai to fit in with that theme would that be ok

oni_by_krasgar-d6szsww.jpg

israelpato-art-kappa1.jpg?1509059531
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    yeah since they are not you waifu trash stuff :) also they are based on legends and myth and folk lore.
  • Options
    to be fair almost every story is based on myth or legends but I get your point
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    grisugrisu Member
    In western fantasy games, the amount of ****, fox girl, or stripper armor is zero and you have more focus on Lore as well as relatable characters.
    latest?cb=20100316231109
    neverwinter-nights-enhanced.jpg
    star-wars-galaxies.png

I'll give you the fox girls tho.

tenor.gif

It's not about influence, it's about presentation. Eastern influence has nothing to do with the motto sex sells. If people respond to cute animal ears, then it will be exploited by companies for a cheap thrill.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    grisu wrote: »
    In western fantasy games, the amount of ****, fox girl, or stripper armor is zero and you have more focus on Lore as well as relatable characters.
    latest?cb=20100316231109
    star-wars-galaxies.png

tenor.gif

It's not about influence, it's about presentation. Eastern influence has nothing to do with the motto sex sells. If people respond to cute animal ears, then it will be exploited by companies for a cheap thrill.

So you are saying eastern games do not over-sexualized their games to appeal to a certain focus group, compared to western games?
  • Options
    grisu wrote: »
    latest?cb=20100316231109
    star-wars-galaxies.png

tenor.gif

So you are saying eastern games do not over-sexualized their games to appeal to a certain focus group, compared to western games?

he's saying both east and west sell games based on sex appeal
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    grisugrisu Member
    "so you are saying", isn't that memed out by now?
    If I am saying anything then that it has been there forever not imported somehow recently in the last 5 years.

Wether they do it more than the west is beyond my personal grasp, I just picked 3 older very well regarded games I know from the west that would fall into your category of overly uneccessery sexualising representation.
    The West made elves sexy, they made dark witches sexy, they made a grave robber/explorer sexy, they literally made a race that's commonly known as a sexy stripper slave aka. Twi'lek. All the formfitting top model body spandax certainly doesn't help in that regard either.
    91969bdde42ec12722dd578197_YyAxMTI4eDYzNSszNisyMAJyZSAxOTIwIDEwODADOWM5NmQ0YzdkNzk=.jpg

I don't know what you think about when you say "anime in ashes". Anime isn't a genre or a style, it's a medium like paper is. That might be an interesting point to clarify. What is "anime" to you?
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with the OP. I’ve had it with Asian-style RPGs (MMO or otherwise). Not classic-style JRPGs (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy) because those are genre-defining classics. But the newer style. I’ve found that there is an aesthetic and gameplay style that even if it is attractive at first gets old fast. (Keep grinding the same mobs so your S class gear gets SS class, be sure to spend a ton of money too because you have to pay to win!) I have learned that if a game even looks like that, move on, or I’ll regret it.

I’m glad that AoC will stay firmly in the west, aesthetically and otherwise. It will be refreshing.

However, there is a personal irony. With all that said, there is one big exception to all of that. My favorite anime of all time is Sword Art Online. There was a feel to that show, of everyone working together from launch to try to succeed and survive within an MMORPG. To build a reputation, survive deranged player-killers, and over time become legends. I think AoC, more than any other game, has the potential to feel like that. So as much as I rail against anime influences, I hope more than anything to be able to play an online game that feels like a particular anime.

(To be fair, SAO had an aesthetic very much like western RPGs so avoided a lot of visual anime tropes. And I can do without the whole “can’t log out of the game and if you die in the game you die in real life” aspects...)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Anime is just a type of animation though...everything in anime could be told in the exact same way using a different medium.

But I think I got the meaning behind the message from the rest of the posts.
    Seems like the main issue is sexualization of characters/waifu related content. Might be wrong though, but that's what I got from what was said.

Based on what's been said, shown, and discussed over the forums about female armor and design it seems they are taking a more realistic approach that still has an appealing design. It seems that they're goal is not to over-sexualize their content and instead base it more in realism. (So no stripper armor)
    Keeping that in the mind, the character that a person creates will still fit in with the aesthetic of the world, but that's not going to stop people from making "waifus". I also don't see the harm in it. If that's how a person wants to play then more power to them. If a person wants to make a fox girl and it fits in with the theme and style then I have no problem with them doing that. It's just a personal preference.

However, I do hope they keep any "Japanese" inspired themes to a minimum if possible because yeah....that's in every game and it's...just a lot...all the time...

I also missed one of the examples a few of y'all said. I don't know if I have a filter on or it got censored but all I can see are stars and I can't piece together what it was supposed to say.
  • Options
    Like I said before people put the blame on anime when its the fan base that makes it toxic. so of the best storytelling is from anime and manga/light novels
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited June 2020
    If we're talking about ridiculousness then stufferton should've never been introduced. This opens up the door to other things.
    If you're just worried about the over-sexualization of races then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. There will be costumes that sexualize a player's toon. Now sexualization is open for interpretation as with most things.
    Someone with a prudish view could argue showing shoulders or necklines are too sexual. There are even religious groups who view a female wearing jeans or shorts is too sexy. Also the reason pedophiles don't see themselves as perverts.

The problem with censorship, while you're catering to one group of people you're also isolating another. The cycle is endless. So in order to appease all parties you have to incorporate practical clothing as well as form-fitting or semi-revealing ones. Another solution would be a toggle option.

As for if Anime things should be allowed into AOC, Idk. The reason being that a lot of good stories dealing with political/social and economic atmospheres come from anime. Even some of the fashion, hairstyles, weapon styles, worlds, creatures, and fighting styles can be an inspiration.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Jamation wrote: »
    I also missed one of the examples a few of y'all said. I don't know if I have a filter on or it got censored but all I can see are stars and I can't piece together what it was supposed to say.
    I see the **** too.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    HexcatHexcat Member
    You're leaving out a lot of good stuff that can be implemented in western MMORPG by saying "no anime"

It´s not like EVERY ANIME only has cat ears, small oversexualized female armor, and weapons too big to be wielded,
    giphy.gif