Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Primary Class Poll!

Comments

• Options
    AsuraAsura Member
    Looks pretty balanced so far, nice! My first class will be Mage/Cleric, to test if I get a good amount of self sustain from it. Hopefully its a good combination for 1v1 PvP.
  • Options
    Man to be completely honest, this is the first MMORPG where I want to play EVERY class because I love experimentation, and the primary/secondary class system with augments and whatnot really seems to encourage that
  • Options
    DAMN SON. Look how evenly spread the community is.
  • Options
    Isn't there a way to do polls with the forum controls so we don't have to leave? The old forums used to have ways. :/
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    Aardvark wrote: »
    I hope your poll is wrong 6% tanks, 11% healers and 83% DPS would be a grouping nightmare

it's the norm with similar games. there's not enough interest in tanking and healing for there to only be one class to perform each of those roles.
  • Options
    What do you guys think the best representation of a Shadow Knight or Death Knight would be in AoC?
    A sort of dark knight, with spooky powers.

This is what worries me about Ashes.
    If you look at the classes table, no combination shows that you will have Dark themed abilities, playing as a tank.

You want to play Rogue/tank, tank/rogue? You can only hope that there will be some identity of evil atks.

the 64 class matrix is not ideal as it doesnt serve class archetypes well. being able to select some themes from another class or doubling down specializing into the base class results in a haphazard class theme. IMOA

some classes are thematically hybrids of some other concepts however many are not. also some classes are typically considered specializations from a base/foundational class however not every class theme has specializations from them.
  • Options
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    DAMN SON. Look how evenly spread the community is.

would be a welcome change if it were this way live however forum community is often quite different from general player population. one need only consider how common this issue is across similar games.
  • Options
    The fact that there are 64 class combinations makes me wonder how all of them will be viable..I feel like some will be forgotten or left behind.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited July 2020
    If I adventure solely it will be summoner for me.

My passion for Ashes is to be a full time crafter though, and as I want to do animal husbandry I'm toying with the idea of going ranger to supplement that. I can imagine having to go out in the wild to find animals will require some martial skills.

It surprised, yet delighted me, that the results of the poll were so even. I'd been wondering if there would be a skew towards some classes.
  • Options
    duxdux Member
    Monorojo wrote: »
    The fact that there are 64 class combinations makes me wonder how all of them will be viable..I feel like some will be forgotten or left behind.

This happened with archeage. There will actually be 8 classes. The secondary class will only augment your main class skills.
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1. Shaman
    2. Enchanter
    3. Soul Weaver/Song Caller
    4. Scryer
    5. Necromancer
    6. Templar

Is my current ranking. I need to actually get hands-on before I decide for certain though. I love the healer/support role and pet classes so Alphas and Betas will help me figure it out before release.

I like the relative balance in the poll thus far though. That bodes well for release but I'd be interested in the results post-beta testing.
    signature.png
  • Options
    Pretty good results, all Classes are represented^^
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There should only be Bards.... Must be a bug.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Interesting to see a lot of people wanting bards in other MMOs, yet in a game that has them they're the lowest picked role nonetheless. Especially healers are surprisingly high up compared to tanks/bards. I'd have assumed non-DPS roles would all be towards the bottom.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »

You mean summoners
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

You mean summoners

You're both wrong, I saw in a very recent podcast that, due to time and budgeting constraints, the classes were going to be paired down to Clerics and Rogues.

I am surprised Nagash would even consider ALL summoners as being viable. In the before time it was Necromancer or nothing. He's growing as a person o:)
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

You mean summoners

You're both wrong, I saw in a very recent podcast that, due to time and budgeting constraints, the classes were going to be paired down to Clerics and Rogues.

I am surprised Nagash would even consider ALL summoners as being viable. In the before time it was Necromancer or nothing. He's growing as a person o:)

I found a new way to trap souls in armour of bone ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AlgestesAlgestes Member
    edited July 2020
    It's hard to decide... There's so many options that interest me. Will probably make several.

Battlemage will probably be the first, but Beastmaster, Necro, and the pet tank class looks fun too!
  • Options
    The class split is quite even on the poll. Yet I feel like 10% tank is lacking... Imo it might be hard to find Tanks in game. If tanking matters.
  • Options
    MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Monorojo wrote: »

I think everything will have it's place in some situations. But remember, your archetype will matter the most since you can change the other stuff
  • Options
    EddiieEddiie Member
    Love the idea of being a Bard and just running about with AOEs singing and prancing annoying my fellow party members.
  • Options
    Over1anderOver1ander Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think Summoner is going to be extremely fun if the summons scale with you or based off your GS maybe.
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    When this all started I was all about Cleric/Cleric, it's all about those big heals baby.

But since more info about the augment systems has come out it opens up some interesting prospects. Where a cleric/mage could enhance AOE heals or HOTs. Even a cleric/summoner, cleric/bard, or maybe cleric/ranger have the potential to enhance/improve a clerics heals.

I am going to need alot more information and testing to convince me that anything other than a Cleric/Cleric will be a efficient healer.
  • Options
    XenantayaXenantaya Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I was thinking about Cleric, but I generally like playing less common classes and currently Cleric is the most popular class according to this one poll. If other polls and alpha indicate that Cleric will be a top two or three class, then I'll consider Bard or even Tank. Bard could be fun to play since it's a bit different and has some healing abilities. And for Tank, I've done some Tanking in other games and generally been decent at it, and if Tank is only the 7th most popular class they'll be in high demand.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Xenantaya wrote: »
    I was thinking about Cleric, but I generally like playing less common classes and currently Cleric is the most popular class according to this one poll. If other polls and alpha indicate that Cleric will be a top two or three class, then I'll consider Bard or even Tank. Bard could be fun to play since it's a bit different and has some healing abilities. And for Tank, I've done some Tanking in other games and generally been decent at it, and if Tank is only the 7th most popular class they'll be in high demand.

Primary healer is NOT going to be the most popular class in game. As soon as we get confirmation that taking cleric/fighter won't make you a battle cleric that can 1 vs 8 whole teams the % people wanting cleric will drop like a rock. Have you ever played any MMO ever where there were way too many healers?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Primary healer is NOT going to be the most popular class in game. As soon as we get confirmation that taking cleric/fighter won't make you a battle cleric that can 1 vs 8 whole teams the % people wanting cleric will drop like a rock. Have you ever played any MMO ever where there were way too many healers?

Most people have seen how OP Cleric is in PvP. When we see the other classes, I doubt Cleric will be so OP. In such a circumstance, some people will choose whatever seems OP at that point, thus The Flavours of The Month shall become evident.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    Neurath wrote: »

Most people have seen how OP Cleric is in PvP. When we see the other classes, I doubt Cleric will be so OP. In such a circumstance, some people will choose whatever seems OP at that point, thus The Flavours of The Month shall become evident.

Right but normal MMO is LF healer or LF tank....when was the last time you saw got tank/healer/buffer still need DPS getting spammed all over the place
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    Right but normal MMO is LF healer or LF tank....when was the last time you saw got tank and healer need DPS getting spammed all over the place

When I was a Tank and my irl friend was the Healer we always wanted DPS. Most partners do in fact often play Tank and Healer because a Tank and Healer duo is very strong. Considering Cleric does DPS too, then a Tank and Healer duo could be one of the best setups in terms of duo.

I don't often ask for DPS, I often ask for specific classes in other MMOs, simply because certain classes had certain skills that certain Dungeons required. Like I wouldn't ask for DPS if I wanted a Nerco or wouldn't ask for DPS if I wanted a Demonologist. It does depend on the game of course, I have also played Healers.

It will entirely depend on servers too, because, the classes are quite evenly spread in the poll, yet we aren't all going to be on the same servers. You might have a situation where one server has a lot of Tanks, or one server has a lot of Healers. We will most likely see all servers have a lot of DPS.

The group sizes also mean we can take more DPS too, so requesting DPS should be quite common.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Probably gonna start as mage, as that is my go to class in most of the rpg games. No idea on secondary class. Would love to just double down on mage, but it depends what augmentation other classes have. Other potential is Ranger/rogue as i like stealthy archer gameplay.
  • Options
    I’m huge into Paladin fantasy, it’s all I’ve played in wow and other games. So I’ll either play the Paladin tank class or if Templar is a lot like Wow’s retribution then I’ll play that class. But my heart tells me to play Paladin for ea