Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Renaming Few Classes

XraelXrael Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
I feel like select classes in the game need to be renamed. Whilst this is not a major issue, a good name ties into the appeal of any class and as such it is important for the name of any class to encompass the identity and fantasy of that class. These classes have been listed below and I will be going through each of them individually, explaining why I think they should be changed. For those of you that don’t want to read the whole thing, I’ve added a TLDR towards the end.

The classes are as follows:
1) Nightshield - (tank with rogue sub)
2) Spellshield(tank with mage sub)
3) Predator(rogue with ranger sub)
4) Nightspell(rogue with mage sub)
5) Scion (ranger with mage sub)
6) Falconer(ranger with summoner sub)
7) Soulbow - (ranger with cleric sub)
8) Spellstone(mage with tank sub)
9) Protector(cleric with ranger sub) & Apostle(cleric with tank sub)
10) Siren(bard with tank sub) & Song Warden(bard with ranger sub)

Let’s start off with Nightshield. This sounds more like an item than it sounds like a class. Just because a class wields a shield, it does not mean that a name with shield in it will necessarily fit the class better. I think renaming the class to something like “Shadow Keeper” will capture the fantasy of the class a little better.

Next up is Spellshield. It sounds more like an ability than it sounds like a class. Again, just because a class wields a shield, it does not mean that having shield in its name will sound appropriate. I think Spellshield should be renamed to something like “Spell Keeper” or “Arcane Keeper”.

Now for Predator. This is highly dependent on what this class turns out to be. A predator is not a terrible name if you are going for a class that can transform into certain types of predatory animals. But even then, something like “Animagus”, like in harry potter, would sound a lot better. If you were going for a more stalking-focused class, you could even change it to “Shadowstriker”.

Following predator is Nightspell. Again, like Spellshield, this sounds more like an ability than it sounds like a class. You could instead rename it to something like “Spellthief” or “Arcane Assassin” etc.

Next up is Scion. A scion can be viewed in two ways, a person with an influential heritage, or a person with a problematic/ominous heritage. What I am trying to convey here is that it is too general of a term. Changing it to something like “Arcane Archer” or “Arcane Scion” might be more appropriate.

Following Scion, we have Falconer. I feel like this name is very restrictive for a class as it would mean that the class is restricted to summoning and dealing with only falcons. Judging from the name, I would assume that this is a class that uses wild birds for fighting/utility so I would consider renaming the class to something like “Avian Watcher”.

Now we have Soulbow. Like Nightshield, it sounds more like an item than it sounds like a class. I would suggest renaming it to something like "Soul Hunter" as this would retain the theme while giving the class a solid ring to it.

Next up is Spellstone. Like Nightshield and Soulbow, it sounds more like an item than it sounds like a class. I think renaming the class to “Spell Guardian” or “Arcane Guardian”, like Shadow Guardian, will be better.

As for Apostle and Protector, the name “Protector” better suits a cleric with the tank sub than Apostle as when you think of a Protector, you think of a melee tank/off tank that protects his/her allies with heals, which is exactly what you would expect an off tank cleric to do. As for cleric with the ranger sub, you could call them Apostles, but I think personally that the name “Divine Hunters” might suit them better.

Finally, we have Sirens and Song Wardens. Sure, from a fantasy perspective, sirens luring sailors with their songs makes it an interesting bard class name. But let us not forget, sirens are murderous mermaids. So yes, whilst what they DO might relate to bards, what they ARE, does not. So, I suggest removing this name completely. As for Song Wardens, when u think of a warden u think of a tanky melee/ranged character. So, the term Song Warden better suits a bard with the tank sub class than a bard with the ranger sub class. Now let us talk about bards with the ranger sub class. The only way I could find a name for this class was by assuming that this class is going to be a more nature focused class. I think they should be named as “Druids”. They should be able to buff their allies through seasons, animals, trees/ground etc. A bard buffs/de-buffs through songs, a ranger spends a lot of time out in the open world, so if u were going to call any class a “Druid”, it makes sense for that class to involve both of these archetypes.

TLDR:

1) NightshieldShadow Keeper
2) SpellshieldSpell Keeper/Arcane Keeper
3) PredatorAnimagus/Shadowstrider
4) Nightspell Spellthief/Arcane Assassin
5) ScionArcane Archer/Arcane Scion
6) FalconerAvian Watcher
7) Soulbow - Soul Hunter
8) SpellstoneSpell Guardian/Arcane Guardian
9) ProtectorDivine Hunter/Apostle
ApostleProtector
10) SirenSong Warden
Song WardenDruid

Apart from these classes, every other class has been named extremely well. So, what do u guys think? Do you agree with the naming choices I have made? Or am I a fool for wasting my time detailing this out?

Comments

• Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You made that whole list and missed that they called:
    mage/bard a ... sorcerer?
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    What do u mean? I never mentioned the sorcerer class in my post.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    What do u mean? I never mentioned the sorcerer class in my post.

Exactly its the name most in need of a change. Sorcerer is something very specific and it has nothing to do with bard
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    I mean it really depends on you. Sorcery deals with black magic, so stuff like cursing someone, rituals etc., kinda like an evil bard. So it really didn't strike me as a bad name for the class as it just has a twist on it that's all. Kind of like how summoner + cleric is a necromancer. You have to think of a cleric as someone who is a devout follower of something, be it the light, the elements or the dead and not just as a devout follower of the light alone. Its fine to put twists on class names as long as you can relate it to the class's archetypes in someway.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How about no
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    Nagash wrote: »
    How about no

Thank you for your truly constructive reply
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Tank needs to be renamed. Naming a class after a vehicle that doesn't exist in this world seems off. Characters in game will refer to others, in character, as a tank.. without the word tank actually having any meaning to the people of this world.

Unless tanks DO exist (the vehicle) then, nevermind!

Wouldn't call a cleric an 'ambulance' or something, or a ranger a 'gunner'..
    Unless we also have those, then again ... nevermind.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    How about no

Thank you for your truly constructive reply

You are most welcome
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    Tank needs to be renamed. Naming a class after a vehicle that doesn't exist in this world seems off. Characters in game will refer to others, in character, as a tank.. without the word tank actually having any meaning to the people of this world.

Unless tanks DO exist (the vehicle) then, nevermind!

Wouldn't call a cleric an 'ambulance' or something, or a ranger a 'gunner'..
    Unless we also have those, then again ... nevermind.

Yea you could definitely rename tank to guardian, guardian to dreadnought and dreadnought to something like juggernaut or berserker.
  • Options
    RahkstarRPGRahkstarRPG Member
    edited July 2020
    Some of these I could take or leave, but I couldn't disagree more on predator and I'm confused why you equate that only to turning into animals.

Anyone/thing who hunts is a predator. Many do it via stealth and surprise. I find the name to be one of the most fitting of the lot.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Some of these I could take or leave, but I couldn't disagree more on predator and I'm confused why you equate that only to turning into animals.

Anyone/thing who hunts is a predator. Many do it via stealth and surprise. I find the name to be one of the most fitting of the lot.

That's why i said Predator/Shadowstrider. Not just Predator. Would be weird to call someone that stalks but doesn't have any transformation abilities a predator.
  • Options

Some do it through forums and chatrooms, and very few of those have much to do with animals unless you're on tumblr or deviantart or something.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member

Some do it through forums and chatrooms, and very few of those have much to do with animals unless you're on tumblr or deviantart or something.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options

That's why i said Predator/Shadowstrider. Not just Predator. Would be weird to call someone that stalks but doesn't have any transformation abilities a predator.

I feel like you didn't actually read my post?

I wholly disagree with you that that would be weird. Anyone that stalks and kills is a predator, by definition. Full stop.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

I wholly disagree with you that that would be weird. Anyone that stalks and kills is a predator, by definition. Full stop.

If you think that a class that stalks and kills people should be called predator, when that class does not have any sort of transforming capabilities, you probably shouldn't name classes at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

If you think that a class that stalks and kills people should be called predator, when that class does not have any sort of transforming capabilities, you probably shouldn't name classes at all.

Well, someone is rather rude. I see you didn't post this for conversation or debate, I guess.

Genuinely don't understand why in your mind a predator has to be something that transforms. There's an entire sci-fi series literally called "Predator" that does not include anything that transforms at all.

Whatever, you're entitled to your opinions just as I am mine.

Mine just happens to be backed by, like, word definitions or something.

"The definition of a predator is a person or an animal that hunts a smaller weaker person or animal."
  • Options

Well, someone is rather rude. I see you didn't post this for conversation or debate, I guess.

Genuinely don't understand why in your mind a predator has to be something that transforms. There's an entire sci-fi series literally called "Predator" that does not include anything that transforms at all.

"The definition of a predator is a person or an animal that hunts a smaller weaker person or animal."

I thought that was the defination of open world pvper
  • Options
    The word predator is defined by google as..
    1. an animal that naturally preys on others.
    "wolves are major predators of small mammals"

2. a person who ruthlessly exploits others.
    "a sexual predator"

Predators transforming into things is the first I've ever heard. I can't think of any examples in popular media where predators are things that turn into other things.

If you associate the word predator with transformations that's totally fine, but I think you might be alone in that association. Just saying.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member

Dude you yourself said it in your definition of a predator. A person that hunts a smaller weaker person. What the hell do u think that means bro? It means that that person is a sexual predator/bully. You don't see the term predator being used anywhere for a reason. Now if that person could transform into say a wolf or a leopard or something, then it can be somewhat justified. I don't mean to be rude, but you're not seeing things the right way here.

• Options
    I already have my class idea figured out. I'm a massive fan of the magical archer type and this game is going to deliver on my fantasy. But I agree that I want the Scion to be renamed. Although, I'd like it to be Arcane Archer instead of Arcane Scion or the like. Scion, in general, feels like a rather nebulous term. Arcane Archer has such a nice ring to it (according to me) and it's also already an archetype in D&D which I know Steven is a fan of ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Dude you yourself said it in your definition of a predator. A person that hunts a smaller weaker person. What the hell do u think that means bro? It means that that person is a sexual predator/bully. You don't see the term predator being used anywhere for a reason. Now if that person could transform into say a wolf or a leopard or something, then it can be somewhat justified. I don't mean to be rude, but you're not seeing things the right way here.

To hunt: To pursue and kill for sport or food.

You're the one that's thinking of it in a creepy/sexual nature, my dude. The word predator existed before the concept of sexual predators became a mainstream issue.

And further than that, I *really* don't understand how the person doing the hunting transforming into something else would suddenly make it okay if that's your problem with the word.

Sounds to me like you're just being defensive over your ideas.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    I already have my class idea figured out. I'm a massive fan of the magical archer type and this game is going to deliver on my fantasy. But I agree that I want the Scion to be renamed. Although, I'd like it to be Arcane Archer instead of Arcane Scion or the like. Scion, in general, feels like a rather nebulous term. Arcane Archer has such a nice ring to it (according to me) and it's also already an archetype in D&D which I know Steven is a fan of ;)

True, Arcane Archer is definitely a more accurate name to represent the class than something like Arcane Scion, but arcane scion is a little more complex sounding. Maybe that's why they chose it. Regardless, I edited my post to include the name. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

To hunt: To pursue and kill for sport or food.

You're the one that's thinking of it in a creepy/sexual nature, my dude. The word predator existed before the concept of sexual predators became a mainstream issue.

And further than that, I *really* don't understand how the person doing the hunting transforming into something else would suddenly make it okay if that's your problem with the word.

Sounds to me like you're just being defensive over your ideas.

I give up man. You do you.
  • Options
    When I hear preditor I think of the movie with Arnold
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member
    Gotta say, I prefer the originals for every single one of the examples you gave but I do agree that Predator and Nightspell could be renamed. Predator doesn't really fit in with the mix and Nightspell sounds very basic and awkward.
  • Options
    A bard/tank should be called a Jester, and they tank by being so annoying that all the enemies focus their attacks at them >_>
  • Options
    AmelAmel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think they should rename the Tank. It sounds like a placeholder name and that they havent come up with the real name yet.
  • Options
    Amel wrote: »
    I think they should rename the Tank. It sounds like a placeholder name and that they havent come up with the real name yet.

Agreed. I searched for the synonyms to "Guardian" and a few good alternatives came up. Protector, Defender, Preserver, Champion, Custodian, Warden, Guard, Keeper, among other less appropriate ones. Some of which they already use for the Tank class names. But you could potentially shift them around a bit.
  • Options
    Guard/Guardian sounds like a good replacement for Tank.
    Defender too.

I really liked Juggernaught as well.