These Guild Recruitment Posts......

XraelXrael Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Why do so many of these guild recruitment posts ask you to be saints?

They expect you to not trash talk AT ALL.

If I was a guild leader, and someone insulted one of me mateys, I would expect them to fight back, not shut up and pretend that they're Jesus Christ. I would want my guild to be filled with people that resort to roasts to trash talk, not the ones that swear. I would also only want them to trash talk those that trash talked them first.

Obviously some level of formality is required. But no trash talk AT ALL? In a video game? C'mon man, where's the fun in that?

Comments

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Trash Talk happens when you can't outplay someone. I'd rather have skilled players than trash talkers.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020

If I was a guild leader, and someone insulted one of me mateys, I would expect them to fight back, not shut up and pretend that they're Jesus Christ.

Obviously some level of formality is required, but no trash talk AT ALL? In a video game? C'mon man, where's the fun in that?

It means the guild doesn’t want another guild declaring a guild war since there are no factions Griefing can go from 0-60 over 1 comment
    And here I thought this was going to be about recruiting people 2 year in advance who might not even get the game and you have never played with
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Neurath wrote: »
    Trash Talk happens when you can't outplay someone. I'd rather have skilled players than trash talkers.

I said i'm only ok with trash talking back when someone trash talks to you first. It doesn't have to be swear words, they can be roasts as well.
    Its the difference between being in a Teenage, trash talker guild, or being in a mature, pro guild. Image counts, actions count and words are cheap.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • XraelXrael Member
    Aardvark wrote: »

If I was a guild leader, and someone insulted one of me mateys, I would expect them to fight back, not shut up and pretend that they're Jesus Christ.

Obviously some level of formality is required, but no trash talk AT ALL? In a video game? C'mon man, where's the fun in that?

It means the guild doesn’t want another guild declaring a guild war since there are no factions Griefing can go from 0-60 over 1 comment
    And here I thought this was going to be about recruiting people 2 year in advance who might not even get the game and you have never played with

But isn't that hella fun? Imagine two guilds fighting each other over 1 person's comments. Man that would be super entertaining to watch.

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Oh that changes once you become a real member ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Its the difference between being in a Teenage, trash talker guild, or being in a mature, pro guild. Image counts, actions count and words are cheap.

Again, I don't like people who trash talk constantly. Just occasionally, and without swearing. More roast oriented if you will.
  • Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's too early to worry about guilds. This game is two years out. Some of these guilds won't exist then and plenty more will join and be created before then. Wait and I am sure one that is more suitable for you will crop up.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
    I had a Trash Talker for a Second in command in one Guild. That Trash Talker got us into War with the whole server. My third in command then smoothed the waters and got us into peace with The Whole Server, then the trash talker overstepped the mark and got us back into war with The Whole Server. Thankfully, Guild Wars are different in Ashes but the trash talker got all the levelling players ganked, and, we lost our levelling healers.

In the end, we lost too many levellers and had to make alliances to fill Raid Groups. So I'm not a massive believer or supporter of Trash Talk.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    I had a Trash Talker for a Second in command in one Guild. That Trash Talker got us into War with the whole server. My third in command then smoothed the waters and got us into peace with The Whole Server, then the trash talker overstepped the mark and got us back into war with The Whole Server. Thankfully, Guild Wars are different in Ashes but the trash talker got all the levelling players ganked, and, we lost our levelling healers.

In the end, we lost too many levellers and had to make alliances to fill Raid Groups. So I'm not a massive believer or supporter of Trash Talk.

Shoulda kicked him out. Also, once again, that's not the kind of person I am referring to. I'm referring to the kind of people that ONLY trash talk when they're trash talked TO, and avoid excessive swearing while doing so.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    :shrug:
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Most guilds don’t survive the 1st week of the game as everyone wants to be the guild leader except those who have been and know how big of a pain in the butt that is and go never again. Anymore when I get somehow promoted to officer I usually asked to be demoted back as I just want in the guild not the headache.
    edited July 2020
    I couldn't kick him out, he was a real life friend, I didn't actually mind the PvP. In fact, the whole experience led to epic fights, epic last stands and epic victories. What it didn't lead to was dignified recognition of skills, just more zergs. He never swore it was on an RP Server. One time time, we were being res camped, I was arranging a peace deal meanwhile he was killing their peace representative. In the end the whole guild got peace except for the trash talker who remained at war with the whole server.

Ah the memories. Excellent days.

Edit: War in that game meant Kill on Sight.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • XraelXrael Member
    I couldn't kick him out, he was a real life friend, I didn't actually mind the PvP. In fact, the whole experience led to epic fights, epic last stands and epic victories. What it didn't lead to was dignified recognition of skills, just more zergs. He never swore it was on an RP Server. One time time, we were being res camped, I was arranging a peace deal meanwhile he was killing their peace representative. In the end the whole guild got peace except for the trash talker who remained at war with the whole server.

Ah the memories. Excellent days.

Edit: War in that game meant Kill on Sight.

Exactly what I'm talking about. Its super fun, both to watch from an outsider's perspective, and from a guildie's perspective as you wonder why the entire server hates your guild over 1 guy's comments.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aardvark wrote: »
    Most guilds don’t survive the 1st week of the game as everyone wants to be the guild leader except those who have been and know how big of a pain in the butt that is and go never again. Anymore when I get somehow promoted to officer I usually asked to be demoted back as I just want in the guild not the headache.

Here is a worthy player. Great organizations equally require good followers.

Virtue is the only good.
  • BardticBardtic Member, Alpha One
    In a game where players create the alliances, you have to be careful about how much trash talking and trolling you do. Don't want your guild ending up on the black list of a bunch of other big players, could destroy your guild. That said the drama is half the fun.

It is a good policy to make sure new guildies follow no trash talk rules. Once you get to know them and trust them to engage in a way that isn't going to cause political issues you can be more lenient.
    XWeKqaZ.png
  • KohlKohl Member
    Well, look at it this way.
    The way you mention "trash-talking" looks as if you're going out of your way to seek problems. Actions, that can put all of your guild-mates in trouble. So most leaders say they don't want this particular type of behavior. Conflict is inevitable. And even the most mannered people can lash out at times.

Nobody is stopping you from getting into genuine fight over a legitimate reason. And most guild leaders will never berate you for it, in fact they'll most likely stand by you.

But if you go around looking for trouble for your own amusement, while ignoring the fact that you can put your guild-mates in unnecessary trouble, maybe you should be looking for a specific guild that deals in raiding or pk'ing.
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most trash talk in mmo's isnt witty jabs, it's just obnoxious personal attacks on people you've never even met. I'm all for giving someone some crap in all good fun but I have no interest in people who talk down to others, use racist, sexist, homophobic, and so on attacks that are the norm in mmo trash talking
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    Boomer gamers always ruinning the fun. Oh yeah trashtalk is good and it makes the server more interesting. Serious guilds are for loosers irl.
  • GodsThesisGodsThesis Member
    edited July 2020
    Some guilds want members reserved in their speech and some just want skilled ones regardless of behavior. In the end, It's up to all guilds to be responsible for their members, who exhibited whatever disposition they have.

When I played games in PvP or competed in sports in real life, I've been trash talked and I dished some out too. I ain't gonna let that guy make me his bitch. So I'll do my best to beat him. But at the end of the competition or the end of the fight ingame, we all say GG or good fights. Trash talking never felt personal to me because I don't even know the other person.

But others can take it personally, in fact, a lot do or to some notable degree depending on what's been said. So it creates problems for the guild as a whole due to one person or a small group of them.

As long as what's being said isn't outright vile, I am in favor of trash-talking; however, I am also in favor of guilds carefully selecting who they want for their community.

• BardticBardtic Member, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    GodsThesis wrote: »
    Some guilds want members reserved in their speech and some just want skilled ones regardless of behavior. In the end, It's up to all guilds to be responsible for their members, who exhibited whatever disposition they have.

The difference between guilds in those games and this one is that behavior has minimal consequences. If your guild gets 90% of the server to hate them in Ashes, good luck getting anything done.
    XWeKqaZ.png
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Because not everyone is you and other people want to be surrounded with a certain type of people. If you don't like it then don't join their guild, but you don't have to look down on them.
  • edited July 2020

That is entirely false. Pro players trash talk all the time while they are winning.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have exactly zero chance of getting the bunch of reprobates I call guild mates to stop trash talking. :D
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
    That is entirely false. Pro players trash talk all the time while they are winning.

I doubt your statement is entirely correct. There is more fear when silent players stomp someone than when someone goads someone into a fight. If you goad someone into a fight they are prepared, if you just wipe them without trash talk they fear when the next wipe will come.

I love to kill trash talkers, I don't have to trash talk back to a trash talker. If they can trash talk and fight at the same time the game isn't hard enough.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Some do, most don't.
  • GodsThesisGodsThesis Member
    edited July 2020
    Reign118 wrote: »
    GodsThesis wrote: »

The difference between guilds in those games and this one is that behavior has minimal consequences. If your guild gets 90% of the server to hate them in Ashes, good luck getting anything done.

To say behavior has minimal consequences seems too far out there. You also contradict yourself saying it's minimal and yet providing a hypothetical where it's very detrimental. You may want to evaluate what you wrote here.

Not all consequences are bad. A consequence is a result of an action. It can be good or bad. Obviously, if you get most of the server to hate you, the guild will have trouble lasting. That is why I said the guild is responsible for who they accept and also how they manage them.