Monthly fee for currency with lesser value

HudisonHudison Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Hello, I'm not sure if the title makes sense, but I tryed my best (english is not my main language).

Before i start i want to say that none of my points are to denigrate the quality or value of the game, at no time do I intend to say that the game is not worth what will be charged.

What i want to talk is about price, right now the value reveled by Intrepid is $15/month. I'm from brazil, right now 1 dolar is around R$ 5,35, which means that the 15$ for us is R$80,23 that is super high, just to get a more tangible value that is basically half the price of a normal AAA game that normally lounches around 60$ (R$ 200 on Brazil). My point is that for me, and probably most of people here $15 on our currency that is a really high value that actually is 8% of a basic salary here. If we dont convert the currency and use the same value, since the minimum value / hour is close it's almost the same as people on US payed 80$/month instead of $15. I'm saying this points and giving examples to make easier to understand my point.

Now that i have explained some things, here is my question, is there any plans to make the value more accessible (like steam and another places do by lowering the price for some regions) on reagions with a less valuable corrency?

Please do not understand me wrong here, i'm just making a point, that is a reality.

Have a great day you all <3

Comments

• DrekDrek Member
    It was mentioned somewhere, i believe in the reddit Q&A that monthly fees will be based around the location of the server.

Or in other words, if south american players wants to play on north american servers they will have to pay the same regional currency value (aka 15USD/month), same with difference between EU west and EU east i assume.

So if you don't want or can't afford the 15USD/month in your case you'd have to play on south american servers.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Drek is correct. One of the most recent AMA's. Shariff said based on your location so play on servers in your area to avoid paying USD prices. This is designed because the server location is cheaper for them in those areas so they pass that discount on to us.
  • SangramoireSangramoire Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hudison wrote: »
    Hello, I'm not sure if the title makes sense, but I tryed my best (english is not my main language).

Before i start i want to say that none of my points are to denigrate the quality or value of the game, at no time do I intend to say that the game is not worth what will be charged.

What i want to talk is about price, right now the value reveled by Intrepid is $15/month. I'm from brazil, right now 1 dolar is around R$ 5,35, which means that the 15$ for us is R$80,23 that is super high, just to get a more tangible value that is basically half the price of a normal AAA game that normally lounches around 60$ (R$ 200 on Brazil). My point is that for me, and probably most of people here $15 on our currency that is a really high value that actually is 8% of a basic salary here. If we dont convert the currency and use the same value, since the minimum value / hour is close it's almost the same as people on US payed 80$/month instead of $15. I'm saying this points and giving examples to make easier to understand my point.

Now that i have explained some things, here is my question, is there any plans to make the value more accessible (like steam and another places do by lowering the price for some regions) on reagions with a less valuable corrency?

Please do not understand me wrong here, i'm just making a point, that is a reality.

I agree to have the monthly fee basically scale with the value of the currency of any given region however your specific example ratios do not make sense. how can 15 dollars equal 80 but 60 equal only 200?
  • ShinnanigensShinnanigens Member
    edited August 2020
    I will always be that guy. I enjoy and promote regions playing with their own region and on their own servers. It's not a racist or dislike for a culture. But as a avid PvP'er and player who likes to understand what is being said to them or at them. I enjoy seeing my language being the primary language being spoken in its server populace because a NA server should be full of NA players. Notice I said primary not "the only" don't get it twisted. Also latency is the biggest and the primary issue I have. I don't want someone from BR on my NA server lag hopping around like a disjointed bunny that I can't click on or track because of nothing skill based but purely latency. playing in Lineage and Rift for years the amount of times I died to someone skipping up to me and I mean literally blinking in and out of existence as they approach me and down a quarter to half of my life before I can even react to it is easily one of the most frustrating parts of dying in PvP. Call me a horrible person but I enjoy region locks for a very specific reason and I enjoy people playing on servers dedicated to their region and their primary language.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would play on the server where I can connect with the best ping. I am sceptical of 'EU' Servers without knowing the locations. It is difficult to play with high pings at all.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Hudison wrote: »

I agree to have the monthly fee basically scale with the value of the currency of any given region however your specific example ratios do not make sense. how can 15 dollars equal 80 but 60 equal only 200?

I was just trying to make an example that people on US could understand how that value feels. I did not sayed that $60 = R$ 200, i sayed that $15 = R$ 80 and that is almost half of the price of and AAA game, that goes for $60 on US and R$ 200 on Brazil, R$ 200 is the commom value for AAA games here, i'm not converting from dollar to real, i was just trying to make more easily to get a feel, but sorry if I expressed myself in the wrong way.
  • Drek wrote: »
    It was mentioned somewhere, i believe in the reddit Q&A that monthly fees will be based around the location of the server.

Or in other words, if south american players wants to play on north american servers they will have to pay the same regional currency value (aka 15USD/month), same with difference between EU west and EU east i assume.

So if you don't want or can't afford the 15USD/month in your case you'd have to play on south american servers.

That is good to hear, thank you, i will look on reddit.
  • Drek wrote: »

This is most likely correct because I know for a FACT the Chinese that play WoW do not pay the equivalent of 15 bucks a month. They used to pay by the hour (something like 6 cents per) but changed over to a monthly subscription model like 4 years ago.

So apparently even the subscription model can vary depending on the country.

You also shouldn't be concerned about not speaking English perfectly, you speak TWO languages for hell sakes which is more than probably 90% here on the forums. (and your written English is pretty damn good. I don't think anyone would have known if you hadn't mentioned it ;) )
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    You also shouldn't be concerned about not speaking English perfectly, you speak TWO languages for hell sakes which is more than probably 90% here on the forums. (and your written English is pretty damn good. I don't think anyone would have known if you hadn't mentioned it ;) )
    Better than many who do have it as their primary language.

Hhak63P.png
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As some have said, some regions will have harmonized subscriptions.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Payment_model
  • Topcatrs88Topcatrs88 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Price harmonization is a thing pretty much all companies do. The reason you keep hearing USD is because intrepid is a U.S. based company so they are going to use that as their currency example since the U.S. is their home and since they aren't ready for release, there is no reason to start worrying about price adjustments for other regions quiet yet. So whatever price you usually pay for in your region for subscription based games, like WoW, will most likely be close to what it will cost you to play Ashes.

He talks about this at 44:54 in the video.
    https://youtu.be/JBCY-A-GUqI?t=2694