Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Latin American Servers

Greetings, I hail from Latin America, South of Chile to be especific and I would like to speak as a member of the Latin American MMO community. Id like to preface this saying that I love the vision of the game and I have been following this since the Kickstarter.

One of the common issues here in Latin America in general, is similar to the Aussie issue. WE NEVER GET ANY SERVERS IN ANY MMO. Two things always happen:

We dont get any servers located in South America, and instead we play on the northamerican ones with an average ping of 300ms for someone with a decent internet connection.

We get one server in South America, located in Brazil. When this happens, a population of Spanish speakers gets bunched up with Portuguese speakers, in a server where we still are getting 250ms because Brazil is so far away from the rest of South America.

I love how the game is coming along but Im afraid players from Chile, Argentina, Peru, Bolivia, Venezuela and many many others will be alienated once again from the general population by making them play in unwelcoming servers with way way more ping than the other players, and with Lineage II being one of the more impactful games we have had here, it would be a shame that the demographic that once was so devoted that Lineage II doesnt find the heir apparent that is Ashes.

Message tothe developers: I love the work that you have put in to make a game MMO players have been waiting for SO SO long and if this wall of text seems a little extra, its just because of how passionate I am about this game and presenting it to a demographic that loves Lineage 2 so much. I believe in the work you have and I wholeheartedly appreciate it. Thank you very much
Saludos desde Puerto Montt, Chile

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    They have talked about regional servers that will also have regional pricing.

These regional servers will be region locked if they do have regional pricing, so that means if you get a South American server with a South American price, you can only play in South America.

If you wanted to play in North America, you would have to pay the North American price.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Im not that worried that theres not gonna be a South American server, Im not even worried about pricing. Im worried that they put a South American server in Brazil with the expectation that the server will provide the whole continent. Brazil, especially in the Atlantic coast is comparable in distance to NA, so this plan of action would be alienating Latin Americans (as in SPANISH SPEAKERS), with ping issues and a big ass language barrier
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wish servers could be on every continent.

I guess its not that simple sometimes.

One day I hope! Either way I'm glad to see you guys have heard of AoC as well. It really is a great vision
  • Options
    I wish servers could be on every continent.

I guess its not that simple sometimes.

One day I hope! Either way I'm glad to see you guys have heard of AoC as well. It really is a great vision

Thank you man and yea, I get what youre saying :C
    Tbh, all Im asking is that this gets a little bit of discussion or consideration, so they dont move forward with a Brazilian server thinking this would solve all of South Americas problems. I just want this issue to be known
  • Options
    I believe Ashes will be hosted in AWS, that means Intrepid can choose to host servers basically wherever they want.

Let's say there are 2 servers in South America, one could be hosted in Brazil and the other could be hosted wherever you guys think will give the best ping for Spanish speakers, if there's enough demand.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    I believe Ashes will be hosted in AWS, that means Intrepid can choose to host servers basically wherever they want.

Let's say there are 2 servers in South America, one could be hosted in Brazil and the other could be hosted wherever you guys think will give the best ping for Spanish speakers, if there's enough demand.

Im really hoping this is the case, would like to know from a dev if this is possible. Thank you for your reply
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It would be nice if someone from intrepid attached a number or a bit more detail to that "enough demand" they keep throwing around.

Does this mean we have to start paying the sub in the USA with USA prices and pings before we can even be noticed?
    - For how long?
    - How many of us would it take?
    - after the servers in Latin america are up do we get to transfer and keep the stuff we worked for; while we earned the right to be noticed?
    - is it enough to just keep posting here on the forums?
    - would it suffice to sign some sort of petition?

I just want to know where exactly is the goal we need to reach to be noticed.
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    According to the other threads about South America, there is a huge playerbase there. Just get 50,000 or so to subscribe and they will most likely spin up a server for you.

Other server regions will be considered based on interest.[5]

South America is under consideration due to traffic from that region.[11]
  • Options
    According to the other threads about South America, there is a huge playerbase there. Just get 50,000 or so to subscribe and they will most likely spin up a server for you.

Im actually pretty confident Intrepid will invest in a South American server, my worry is that theyll put it on Rio de Janeiro and call it a day, when in reality, for the rest of Latin America (this is spanish speaking countries Im talking about), this is as bad or worse than playing in an NA server based in Chicago. The only solution I see to this is if they put a server on Chile, Argentina or Uruguay for the spanish speaking audience, which is huge one and worth investing in
  • Options
    They'll only give us access to Launch and maybe 2nd BETA phase. And only because having us regardless of what we pay, is better than not doing so. I doubt we'll get dedicated servers, and if we do, I doubt they'll be hosted down here.
  • Options
    UlfUlf Member
    Hey ! O... como tai po compadre! ( To my fellow chileans )

I couldn't agree more.

The MMO community in latin america, related to lineage 2 that is, has been jumping from private server to private server for years now, in search of that coveted perfect project, that feels like it is worth investing your time into.

I, also, would like to know if there is a ballpark number in the mind of the Intrepid Team, to be able to be considered.

Have a great day !

Ulf
    FOeRqtf.jpg
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Phospion wrote: »

Im actually pretty confident Intrepid will invest in a South American server, my worry is that theyll put it on Rio de Janeiro and call it a day, when in reality, for the rest of Latin America (this is spanish speaking countries Im talking about), this is as bad or worse than playing in an NA server based in Chicago. The only solution I see to this is if they put a server on Chile, Argentina or Uruguay for the spanish speaking audience, which is huge one and worth investing in

I don't think its realistic asking for a server in every country for the best ping, if they do a south american server, they will take a lot of things in consideration, and looking at one of the most important things, the player base, you have to agreed with me that a server in Brazil would make more sense than a server in Chile... if we are looking at numbers, the demand is higher in Brazil, and it would supply for all nearby countries
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    TresTres Member
    edited August 2020
    Apologies for my english, I'm latin American.

Believing Brazil is closer to the rest of South America is not quite right. There is no land infrastructure crossing the amazon forest or the Andes Mountains that allows the signal to leave brazil in a straight line into the rest of south America.

The signal is forced to use undersea internet cable infrastructure which in turn doesn't allow for shorter distances from Brazil to the rest of south America as it has to go around the continent.

In practice I also notice this when judging by the ping I get from Brazilian servers being in Colombia I get a much better ping from Miami servers than I get from Brazil; some times I get half the ping from Miami 150 vs 300 from Brazil which is almost the same I would get from California.

All of this is while my country is bordering with Brazil.

Here is a picture of the cables that carry the internet connection underseas.
    undersea-cables.png

• Options
    PhospionPhospion Member
    edited August 2020
    Tres wrote: »
    Apologies for my english, I'm latin American.

Believing Brazil is closer to the rest of South America is not quite right. There is no land infrastructure crossing the amazon forest or the Andes Mountains that allows the signal to leave brazil in a straight line into the rest of south America.

The signal is forced to use undersea internet cable infrastructure which in turn doesn't allow for shorter distances from Brazil to the rest of south America as it has to go around the continent.

In practice I also notice this when judging by the ping I get from Brazilian servers being in Colombia I get a much better ping from Miami servers than I get from Brazil; some times I get half the ping from Miami 150 vs 300 from Brazil which is almost the same I would get from a California server

All of this is while my country is bordering with Brazil.

Here is a picture of the cables that carry the internet connection underseas.
    undersea-cables.png

This is what Im talking about man. People like Liniker (not dissing or being an asshole here) think a server in Brazil could provide for the entirety of South America and this could not be farther from the truth. Im in one of the most southern places in the world and my ping to East Coast servers is better than to Rio de Janeiro. I agree that a dedicated server to Latin America (spanish speakers) is maybe too much wishful thinking, but Im just asking for CONSIDERATION of the Spanish Speaking Latin community from Intrepid, something we've never had, in any MMO
  • Options
    I support this. My vote goes to Uruguay or Chile.
  • Options
    Creo que se deberia de considerar mas servidores regionales para:
    -America del Norte
    -America Central
    - Y America del Sur
    que para TODA LATINOAMERICA
    por que aqui @Liniker - tiene un punto a su favorla base de jugadores es mas grande en Brazil, ademas si el servidor se colocara en Uruguay o Chile entonces los jugadores que viven de Panama para arriba y quieran jugar en un servidor en español tendrian problemas de conexion
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    I don't think anyone here is expecting intrepid to get a server in each country, that's just not viable as I mentioned in another thread.

The conversation here is going on about not calling it a day after setting up a server in Brazil if they do decide to set up servers in south america. Like literally every other MMO publisher in the past that has come to south America has done.

This is because it only helps for ping in Brazil, Uruguay and the French colonies. Leaving the rest of the continent with better pings while connecting to the US than using the south american server. And in consequence not solving the problem for anyone but just those countries.

If they want to provide servers for south America it would be necessary to set up two separate servers.One for the western countries that could be in a country like Perú which has direct line into most of the western sea cables and countries and one in Brazil for the Eastern ones I mentioned above.

Now if they decide they only want to solve the problem for Brazil because they are the only ones that are worth it, that's very understandable. And the reason why I am asking for a goal, a number that we have to reach to be considered worth it.
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    im from Brazil, Sao Paulo, they mix up a lot br servers with arg chile etc , most the games i play that have ppl from chile and arg they get 60-120ms most of them, sometimes i see 180-200ms avg.. i understand the ping issue with us and them, maybe a server located more to north of Brazil instead of SAO PAULO as usual would get them a better ping.. but as alrdy mentioned before is about the numbers os players interested.. brazil gaming community is huge , the population in br is over 200M, chile is about 19-20m arg is 45m and peru is 33m its a simple math... they might put at first a server at Brazil and later a server to other latin countries if is required...

lets wait.. i can tell u if the game work out, and i hope it does, i dont even bother playng with 200ms (i used to play with 150ms in wow).. im waiting for a game like this for years...

lets just pray everything works fine at launch .. them we see whats comming next!

gg cheers from brazil to every1
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @clanXb4l4 é nois, I agree, and remember, Ashes will be a game that requires an Active and populated server... even if they did made servers for all our countries, playing on a low pop or dead server would be terrible due to game mechanics, we will have to wait and see ;)
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    TresTres Member
    completely agreed.

we just want to get the point across that thinking that a server in brazil is enough for all of south America is like thinking that a server in Alaska is enough for all of north America.