Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do we continue accrue experience after level 50?

Once you’re at level cap of 50 do you continue to accrue experience points beyond that?
The concern is that if I can continue to accumulate exp points beyond 50 and I have an excess 1,000,000 points above the cap, then Death caused Exp Debt is meaningless to me because I have so much exp built up that I’ll never go into debt. Thus being a PK and dying is even less of a problem because i'll never go into exp debt even after my friend kills me 5 times to remove all my corruption.

Comments

• Options
    loghan wrote: »
    Once you’re at level cap of 50 do you continue to accrue experience points beyond that?
    The concern is that if I can continue to accumulate exp points beyond 50 and I have an excess 1,000,000 points above the cap, then Death caused Exp Debt is meaningless to me because I have so much exp built up that I’ll never go into debt. Thus being a PK and dying is even less of a problem because i'll never go into exp debt even after my friend kills me 5 times to remove all my corruption.

I doubt they'll let you do that.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dummo wrote: »

I doubt they'll let you do that.

Good question to ask though.

Thats the type of thing we should be thinking. How would we try to skirt the PK system on corruption so we can patch the exploits before the exploiters get to live and cause their own mayhem down the roads.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Not how it works.

If this was how it worked, then you would only have negative penalties from experience debt at lower levels if that level of debt you had took you below what you had gained since your last level up.

The level of experience debt you are in is in relation to where you were at in regards to experience - you are in debt until you are back at that point.

Thus, if (and this is unlikely) we did gain experience still at the level cap, and had a significant amount built up, we would still go in to experience debt upon dying until we had gained experience to bring us back to where we were before we died.
  • Options
    DummoDummo Member
    edited August 2020
    noaani wrote: »

Thus, if (and this is unlikely) we did gain experience still at the level cap, and had a significant amount built up, we would still go in to experience debt upon dying until we had gained experience to bring us back to where we were before we died.

The point he is making is that it wouldn't matter to get back to the point of exp before he died, since he has built up extra exp after reaching max level.

Edit: max level in general doesn't even care about exp debt in that regard, why should they even build it back up, they can't de-level.
    Dark Knight Dummo

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

The point he is making is that it wouldn't matter to get back to the point of exp before he died, since he has built up extra exp after reaching max level.

But you have the penalty associated with experience debt until you have regained the experience you lost.

I mean, the actual experience "loss" isn't the penalty, the penalty is the debuff you have until you have worked it back.
  • Options
    I wish that as soon as you reach maximum level, experience gain is turned off. That should deter max level griefers.
  • Options

But you have the penalty associated with experience debt until you have regained the experience you lost.

I mean, the actual experience "loss" isn't the penalty, the penalty is the debuff you have until you have worked it back.

Ohh, I did not know there was a debuff in place as long as you had the exp debt, that makes sense. Thanks.
    Dark Knight Dummo

• Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't think you gain exp after lvl50. If you are corrupted and you die, you gain exp debt that affects your character's combat stats. Until you get rid of that negative exp, your character won't be able to fight at their full potential.
  • Options
    @noaani That makes sense, thank you. I'll go back to the drawing board on how to break the system in griefy ways.
  • Options
    The way it is described as gaining experience debt as opposed to losing experience on death makes it seem like you gain a stacking negative experience amount, and therefore need to pay back that debt by gaining that amount of experience before you're able to go back to progressing towards the next level.
    Potentially the system could work such that you don't gain experience towards the next level once you hit level cap, but you can still gain experience to cancel out the debt you have accrued through death.

I'm sure there will be a cap on experience debt so that you can't build up absolutely ridiculous levels of negative experience, but if you are max level and continue to die and gain experience debt without paying it back, you would be at a huge disadvantage were the level cap set to be raised in an expansion of some kind.