Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Some thoughts on mounts underwater - from the livestream

nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
Just a short comment I wanted to get across.

Land animal mounts should be swimming on the surface. The livestream showed all sorts of mounts underwater and swimming about like a fish.

I looked this up to be sure and animals such as horses don't swim underwater. They swim well but they'll naturally keep their heads above water and they can't hold their breath like a human can.

I know it is early days, and the mounts looked great. However, I just felt it looked a bit odd to see things like horses and pack animals swimming underwater like a fish.

Im not closed to discussion or opposing thoughts of course. Just my two pennies.

Comments

• Options
    VhinxVhinx Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    lol that was interesting indeed
    The Order-
    g5ybg7eb1zhp.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The only exception is

Magic
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    So the horses and bears swimming under water was unrealistic but not the dragon? I get your point, but its a fantasy game at the end of the day.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Azeem wrote: »
    So the horses and bears swimming under water was unrealistic but not the dragon? I get your point, but its a fantasy game at the end of the day.

I didnt mention bears and dragons. I mentioned horses because I remembered reading something about horses and water before.

Bears can dive. Polar bears do so.

It might be a fantasy game, but that doesn't mean horses in this world can breathe underwater or swim about like a fish.

As much as I did think the mounts looked great, I thought that seeing someone mounted on a horse or pack animal swimming about underwater looked ridiculous.

Underwater mounts are a great idea, but they should be limited to turtles, fish or other animals that belong in that environment.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Did they say that all mounts can swim? I just assumed that limiting swimming hasn't been implemented yet when I saw the griffin swimming underwater....
  • Options
    Did they say that all mounts can swim? I just assumed that limiting swimming hasn't been implemented yet when I saw the griffin swimming underwater....

It can swim but very very slowly and limited. So you'd likely be better off swimming in that scenario. Similar sense is having an aquatic mount on land, it wouldn't be recommended at all and you'd do better by running.
    Future mercenary guild owner in Ashes of Creation
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
  • Options
    Make it so that you are automatically dismounted when you enter the water with a ground mount, problem solved?
  • Options
    VyrakaVyraka Member, Alpha One
    I agree that ground mounts shouldn't be able to dive underwater. I mean - they recently asked about immersion, that would kind of be an immersion breaker to see a horse underwater...that it unless of course it was a sea horse! :)
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Vyraka.png