Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Wealth professions (blacksmith, alchemist, animal husbandry)

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
Will there be such a profession that makes money out of combat? That scavenges stuff from corpses, raid bosses or normal mobs, that can sell to players or specific NPCs?
Something like the spoiler of L2.
Should there be one?
(Not talking about the bounty system)

Comments

• daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited January 2021
    Is that not the certificates you get from looting a body?

And the rewards from dungeons?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • CathartidaeCathartidae Member
    edited January 2021
    I am not fully familiar with L2 but based on a cursory read, it seems like a spoiler is a specialized race/class combo that gets extra loot from encounters (such that their primary role in a fight is making loot)? In short, not likely, you'd be hard pressed to make your combat role exclusively about loot but I think there are a few layered features here I will try to address.

First, you will ostensibly be able to level from 1 to 50 in Ashes by doing non-combat activities - which is to say your Artisan Class. You will still have an Adventurer Class separately, but you don't strictly need to use it (although it is still probably in your best interest to do so).

Second, Artisan Classes are broken up into three trees, representing the three stages of crafting. Within each Artisan Class are a number of professions accomplishing different things. The first stage is gathering - which I think is most akin to what you are talking about. Gatherers will use their tools and abilities to extract resources from the world that we be processed and used by other professions.

Third, (although we have no details on this yet) we have been told that gatherers will be able to specialize their tools and skills such that they can acquire very specialized resources out in the world.

So, you can imagine a player building their character entirely around their Artisan Class and specific gathering profession such that they are uniquely able to acquire highly desirable resources (I also understand Star Wars Galaxies is an inspiration for the crafting system, which gives a faint implication that crafting materials maybe have numerically superior qualities as well). You could also imagine that that player's gathering skill is so highly specialized and their tools so high level, that it becomes productive for an adventuring group to carry them along simply for a share of the spoils.

We won't really know the benefit of having a super specialized gatherer against the cost of them not utilizing their adventuring profession until later in development, but as of right now it stands at 'plausibly.'
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes.
    In one of the steams Steven talked about this. Needing someone to harvest rare materials from raid bosses requires a top tier gatherer. Stupid phone won't let me link properly. Should be on the wiki under gathering/professions.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Most games have something that fills this role, whether a skinner, a butcher or even (as a totally unique option) Archeages Larceny.

Rather than there being a single profession in Ashes filling that role though, my understanding is that any of the gathering professions will have enemy types they will be able to gather from. If you Kill a golem, for example, a high level miner may be able to extract minerals from the corpse.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Bottom of the page here it says:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_bosses

Gatherers may have the ability to "spoil" a boss' loot.[27]

If you want to be able to get those mats from the boss, they're just not going to drop for anybody. They will only drop for a master gatherer who is capable of extracting those resources from the creature itself... The reason why we say there's a lot of interdependencies between the crafters of the world and the raiders of the world and our PvPers of the world is because we don't want to house the capability to attain these things all within the adventuring class. We want there to be an influence necessary from the craftsmen's guild to come in to either come and participate and spoil the boss and gather the goods or something along those lines.[27] – Steven Sharif
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.